Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ranking the post-EPL era Charlton managers

edited January 24 in General Charlton
Here's mine, best to worst (caretaker managers not included, although some had caretaker spells) :
  1. Chris Powell
  2. Lee Bowyer
  3. Phil Parkinson
  4. Johnnie Jackson
  5. Alan Pardew
  6. Jose Riga
  7. Karl Robinson
  8. Bob Peeters
  9. Ben Garner
  10. Dean Holden
  11. Guy Luzon
  12. Nigel Adkins
  13. Russell Slade
  14. Michael Appleton
  15. Karel Fraeye

The middle bundle were very hard to rank!

My method of ranking included success on the pitch, personality, way they dealt with the media, way they dealt with fans, general feelings on them from the fanbase etc...

For a tiebreaker where 2 managers may have had similar bad runs to someone next to them, one can rank better because it was in a higher league. 

Comments

• Options
    So much rubbish there that is meaningless to rank but I’d say:
    SCP
    Bowyer
    Parkinson
    1st Riga
    JJ
    and forget the rest, including second Riga. 
  • Options
    Powell and Bowyer - Powell won us a title and finished close to the Championship playoffs. Bowyer’s side played the better football and the Wembley win was the more exciting way to win promotion. Shame neither got the chance to build on those promotion squads

Everyone else - most could have done reasonably well had they been better supported with stronger squads

Fraeye and Appleton - until recently I didn’t think anyone could do as badly as Fraeye 
  • Options
    Pardew should be near the bottom. Was an awful manager for us, not just on the pitch.

Pardew did ok in a tough situation when he took over in the PL

He was really poor in the Championship though. Indeed probably the worst spell of his whole managerial career.
  • Options
    Pardew should be near the bottom. Was an awful manager for us, not just on the pitch.

He was really poor in the Championship though. Indeed probably the worst spell of his whole managerial career.
    Post EPL era this was based on hence where I put him as he was useless.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Powell and Bowyer - Powell won us a title and finished close to the Championship playoffs. Bowyer’s side played the better football and the Wembley win was the more exciting way to win promotion. Shame neither got the chance to build on those promotion squads

Everyone else - most could have done reasonably well had they been better supported with stronger squads

Fraeye and Appleton - until recently I didn’t think anyone could do as badly as Fraeye 
    As bad as Fraeye was (and he was awful) he was terrible at a higher level than Appleton. I use that as the tie breaker between them to mean that Appleton is the worst of a very, very bad bunch. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Here's mine, best to worst (caretaker managers not included, although some had caretaker spells) :
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Phil Parkinson
    4. Johnnie Jackson
    5. Alan Pardew
    6. Jose Riga
    7. Karl Robinson
    8. Bob Peeters
    9. Ben Garner
    10. Dean Holden
    11. Guy Luzon
    12. Nigel Adkins
    13. Russell Slade
    14. Michael Appleton
    15. Karel Fraeye

My method of ranking included success on the pitch, personality, way they dealt with the media, way they dealt with fans, general feelings on them from the fanbase etc...

For a tiebreaker where 2 managers may have had similar bad runs to someone next to them, one can rank better because it was in a higher league. 
    Christ - what a shower of shit (barring Powell).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brownie12 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Phil Parkinson
    4. Johnnie Jackson
    5. Alan Pardew
    6. Jose Riga
    7. Karl Robinson
    8. Bob Peeters
    9. Ben Garner
    10. Dean Holden
    11. Guy Luzon
    12. Nigel Adkins
    13. Russell Slade
    14. Michael Appleton
    15. Karel Fraeye

It really puts it into perspective how bad weve had it manager wise!
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Brownie12 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Phil Parkinson
    4. Johnnie Jackson
    5. Alan Pardew
    6. Jose Riga
    7. Karl Robinson
    8. Bob Peeters
    9. Ben Garner
    10. Dean Holden
    11. Guy Luzon
    12. Nigel Adkins
    13. Russell Slade
    14. Michael Appleton
    15. Karel Fraeye

It really puts it into perspective how bad weve had it manager wise!
    I remember thinking Pardew was awful - now he’s top 5 on our list!
  • Options
    Sir Chris
    Bowyer
    Riga
    Parkinson
    Jacko

that's about it, the rest wouldn't bother with...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    As @CAFCTrev says, I would have a lot of trouble with the middle bunch. If I ranked them now, I could up with a different order in a week’s time.
  • Options
    Parky 3rd. Blimey, we couldn’t wait to get rid of him could we. 
    Show's how bad the rest were, he did get us to the play-offs though so overall wasn't to bad, just had a very poor start (as caretaker) and a poor finish.
  • Options
    Not saying that this is the right way of assessing these but purely from the perspective of percentage of points gained (and including cup results based on that) with no reference to squads available, division we were in, circumstances when the person managed etc, this is how the table would look:

1  Johnnie Jackson 
    2. Chris Powell
    3. Phil Parkinson
    4. Lee Bowyer
    5. Karl Robinson
    6. Ben Garner 
    7. Nigel Adkins
    8. Dean Holden
    9.= Guy Luzon
    9. = Michael Appleton
    11. Jose Riga
    12. Alan Pardew
    13. Bob Peeters
    14. Russell Slade
    15. Karel Fraeye

• Options

Pardew ripped the heart out of the club and was hugely responsible for our relegation into league 1.  We’ve been there to a great extent ever since 
  • Options
    edited January 24
    wmcf123 said:
    Brownie12 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Phil Parkinson
    4. Johnnie Jackson
    5. Alan Pardew
    6. Jose Riga
    7. Karl Robinson
    8. Bob Peeters
    9. Ben Garner
    10. Dean Holden
    11. Guy Luzon
    12. Nigel Adkins
    13. Russell Slade
    14. Michael Appleton
    15. Karel Fraeye

Bowyer wasn’t shit .  
    He lost the plot at the end. But yes, I’m probably wrong to put him in to the shit category. 
  • Options
    From 2007/2008 Permanent head coaches/Managers only
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Phil Parkinson
    4. Johnnie Jackson
    5. Alan Pardew
    6. Jose Riga
    7. Karl Robinson
    8. Bob Peeters
    9. Dean Holden
    10. Guy Luzon
    11. Ben Garner
    12. Nigel Adkins
    13. Russell Slade
    14. Michael Appleton

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. Lee Bowyer
    2. Chris Powell
    3. Phil Parkinson
    4. Jose Riga (1st spell)
    5. Bob Peeters
    6. Johnnie Jackson
    7. Alan Pardew
    8. Dean Holden
    9. Karl Robinson
    10. Ben Garner
    11. Nigel Adkins
    12. Guy Luzon
    13. Russell Slade
    14. Karel Fraeye
    15. Michael Appleton
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Parky 3rd. Blimey, we couldn’t wait to get rid of him could we. 
    That was the feeling around the time he got the boot yeah, but he got us into the playoffs the season before with very little to work with, that puts him ahead of Jacko in my eyes. 

On a side note, even if we did overcome Swindon in the playoff semi-final that season, I doubt we would have beaten Millwall,. 

We could have had a managerial duo of Fergie and Wenger, Bruce and Adams anchoring the defence, Keane and Vieira in the centre of the pitch with a front three of Shearer, Cole and Henry and we still wouldn't have beaten the Spanners that year.

Or any year.

Even with 18 men on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited January 24
    They all seem to lose the plot at the end unfortunately....we had a pretty good season under Peter's and Luzon (14-15) but neither are really rated.
  • Options
    Peter's and Luzon were in charge 14-15 season and we finished 12th in the Championship so not all bad compared to what we have now.
    Peeters got undone by injuries but we were looking decent in the first half of the season when he was charge. The smash and grab away win at Norwich is one of my all time fave Charlton games Ive attended and that was under Peeters. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Peter's and Luzon were in charge 14-15 season and we finished 12th in the Championship so not all bad compared to what we have now.
    Peeters got undone by injuries but we were looking decent in the first half of the season when he was charge. The smash and grab away win at Norwich is one of my all time fave Charlton games Ive attended and that was under Peeters. 
    Once injuries starting piling up Peeters was popped out quicker than Ve(n)tokele's shoulder.
  • Options
    Worth remembering Parky was in the playoffs when sacked and Powell took us to 14th that season... After a big window though Powell demolished this league. 
  • Options
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Phil Parkinson
    4. Johnnie Jackson
    5. Jose Riga (1)
    6. Alan Pardew
    7. Karl Robinson
    8. Bob Peeters
    9. Nigel Adkins
    10. Ben Garner
    11. Dean Holden
    12. Guy Luzon
    13. Russell Slade
    14. Jose Riga (2)
    15. Michael Appleton
    16. Karel Fraeye
  • Options
    edited January 24
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Johnnie Jackson
    Completely forgot about the rest as they were a complete waste of time

• Options
    Brownie12 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Brownie12 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Phil Parkinson
    4. Johnnie Jackson
    5. Alan Pardew
    6. Jose Riga
    7. Karl Robinson
    8. Bob Peeters
    9. Ben Garner
    10. Dean Holden
    11. Guy Luzon
    12. Nigel Adkins
    13. Russell Slade
    14. Michael Appleton
    15. Karel Fraeye

Bowyer wasn’t shit .  
    He lost the plot at the end. But yes, I’m probably wrong to put him in to the shit category. 
    We’d have all lost the plot working under Sandgaard .