Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ranking the post-EPL era Charlton managers

13»

Comments

• Options
    The Riga love in is something I found baffling at the time and even more baffling now. 

We were never going down that season. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    Parky being so high on so many lists feels like revisitionist history to me. His teams were awful and he was a very very limited manager.

1) Powell
    2) Bowyer
    3) Riga
    4) Robinson
    5) Peters
    6) Garner 
    7) Luzon I guess
    8) Parky 
    9) Pards
    10) Jacko
    11) Adkins
    12) Appleton
    13) Holden
    14) Fraeye
    15) Slade
    Parkinson teams didn’t play good football, but in L1 he got results and that was with a limited budget, never paying fees for anyone. We lost in the playoffs and were still in them when he was sacked.

Some on that list had  £1m+ signings - Pardew had several, in the RD era we had Vetokele and Sarr plus good frees/loans like JBG, Buyens and so on.

I think a lot of managers on that list would have found it tough had they managed Parkinson’s squads.
    But by that same token I think Parkinson of 2008/9 would have struggled with a side with Sarr, BFG, Buyen, Kashi, JBG, and Igor in it. Yes, at times he did well with a bad team, but I think it was also a team that suited him.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    Parky being so high on so many lists feels like revisitionist history to me. His teams were awful and he was a very very limited manager.

1) Powell
    2) Bowyer
    3) Riga
    4) Robinson
    5) Peters
    6) Garner 
    7) Luzon I guess
    8) Parky 
    9) Pards
    10) Jacko
    11) Adkins
    12) Appleton
    13) Holden
    14) Fraeye
    15) Slade
    Parkinson teams didn’t play good football, but in L1 he got results and that was with a limited budget, never paying fees for anyone. We lost in the playoffs and were still in them when he was sacked.

Some on that list had  £1m+ signings - Pardew had several, in the RD era we had Vetokele and Sarr plus good frees/loans like JBG, Buyens and so on.

I think a lot of managers on that list would have found it tough had they managed Parkinson’s squads.
    But by that same token I think Parkinson of 2008/9 would have struggled with a side with Sarr, BFG, Buyen, Kashi, JBG, and Igor in it. Yes, at times he did well with a bad team, but I think it was also a team that suited him.
    Better players could only have helped him, but I agree he’s not who you’d want managing a team with players capable of a more attacking and exciting style.
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    The Riga love in is something I found baffling at the time and even more baffling now. 

I think we were in some danger but Powell would have done the same . 
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:

You're probably right, but Roland had just bought the club after the previous pair of jokers had nearly took us into admin and with it a points deduction. Unfortunately when we needed boardroom stability he started signing players behind the manager's back and then gave CP grief when he didn't play them which forced Chris Powell out. 

We were slowly imploding, Jose Riga came in and steadied things and prevented relegation from happening or being an issue. 
  • Options
    Gillis said:
    Maybe Riga's got one more Charlton spell in him. We could do with a manager with a decent relegation fighting pedigree and like others have said he seemed a decent bloke as well 
    I think it's fair to say he had a mixed record in that regard.

One out of two given we appeared to be relegation certainties on both occasions isn't something I'd knock him for.