Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ranking the post-EPL era Charlton managers

Comments

• Options
    edited January 24
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Johnnie Jackson
    Completely forgot about the rest as they were a complete waste of time

I really detested the whole network managers period - yes am sure Riga was a nice guy but everything in that era of Duchataltet, Meire, Driesden etc was an abomination. The day Roland walked into our club was the start of this utter, utter mess - the only bright spots in the intervening years being the Bowyer & Jacko periods,
  • Options
    edited January 24
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. JJ
    4. Alan Pardew
    5. Jose Riga
    6. Phil Parkinson
    7. Karl Robinson 
    I would like to forget the rest . Striking that the top 4 were all ex Charlton players. Not guaranteed success but almost sure to be guaranteed enthusiasm and desire.
  • Options
    edited January 24
     1. Chris Powell
     2. Lee Bowyer
     3. Phil Parkinson
     4. Jose Riga
     5. Johnnie Jackson
     6. Bob Peeters
     7. Karl Robinson
     8. Dean Holden
     9. Nigel Adkins
    10. Russell Slade
    11. Guy Luzon
    12. Ben Garner
    13. Alan Pardew
    14. Michael Appleton
    15. Karel Fraeye

Powell & Bowyer in a class of there own
    Parkinson for making the play offs
    Riga keeping us in The Championship, 2nd time around was mission impossible
    Jackson steering us out of League One trouble when League Two looked very possible
    Peeters we were unbeaten in The Championship until October?
    Not much between Robinson, Holden, Adkins they all had decent spells for a while
    Slade probably more for resetting the team after Championship relegation
    Luzon & Garner had the odd bright spark but that was about it
    Pardew post-Premier League was nearly as toxic as Appleton and probably would have been if social media was as active as it is now
    Appleton & Fraeye in a class of there own
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Pardew should be near the bottom. Was an awful manager for us, not just on the pitch.

Pardew did ok in a tough situation when he took over in the PL

He was really poor in the Championship though. Indeed probably the worst spell of his whole managerial career.
    Pardew ripped the heart out of the club and was hugely responsible for our relegation into league 1.  We’ve been there to a great extent ever since 
    this
  • Options
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Phil Parkinson
    4. Karl Robinson
    5. Jose Riga
    6. Dean Holden
    7. Bob Peeters
    8. Johnnie Jackson
    9. Guy Luzon
    10. Nigel Adkins
    11. Ben Garner
    12. Russell Slade
    13. Michael Appleton
    14. Karel Fraeye

Top 3 are fairly obvious I'd say.

It's very hard to judge the 'network' years. Often these Head Coaches were just given random players from Europe who were woefully inadequate. It's interesting to me that despite pressure from Roland on Powell to play network players (which ultimately cost him), Riga saved Charlton that year by not playing any of them - he deserves credit for that.
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Johnnie Jackson
    Completely forgot about the rest as they were a complete waste of time

I really detested the whole network managers period - yes am sure Riga was a nice guy but everything in that era of Duchataltet, Meire, Driesden etc was an abomination. The day Roland walked into our club was the start of this utter, utter mess - the only bright spots in the intervening years being the Bowyer & Jacko periods,
    It wasn’t the start, but it certainly accelerated the decline. 
  • Options
    Maybe Riga's got one more Charlton spell in him. We could do with a manager with a decent relegation fighting pedigree and like others have said he seemed a decent bloke as well 
  • Options
     1. Chris Powell
     2. Lee Bowyer
     3. Phil Parkinson
     4. Jose Riga
     5. Johnnie Jackson
     6. Bob Peeters
     7. Karl Robinson
     8. Dean Holden
     9. Nigel Adkins
    10. Russell Slade
    11. Guy Luzon
    12. Ben Garner
    13. Alan Pardew
    14. Michael Appleton
    15. Karel Fraeye

Jackson steering us out of League One trouble when League Two looked very possible
    Not much between Robinson, Holden, Adkins they all had decent spells for a while
    Pardew post-Premier League was nearly as toxic as Appleton and probably would have been if social media was as active as it is now
    The 14-15 season was decent, Peter's done well (though quite a 'few' draws) and then Luzon came in and we finished 12th....so a pretty decent season (especially when you look at where we are now).
  • Options
     1. Chris Powell
     2. Lee Bowyer
     3. Phil Parkinson
     4. Jose Riga
     5. Johnnie Jackson
     6. Bob Peeters
     7. Karl Robinson
     8. Dean Holden
     9. Nigel Adkins
    10. Russell Slade
    11. Guy Luzon
    12. Ben Garner
    13. Alan Pardew
    14. Michael Appleton
    15. Karel Fraeye

The 14-15 season was decent, Peter's done well (though quite a 'few' draws) and then Luzon came in and we finished 12th....so a pretty decent season (especially when you look at where we are now).
    Came close to beating Millwall at home that season too, goal line clearance (after Tucadean rounded their keeper) from them denied us a winner at the death.
  • Options
    When out of a list of sixteen managers, Parkinson is rathed third, that says all you need to know about our recent history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     1. Chris Powell
     2. Lee Bowyer
     3. Phil Parkinson
     4. Jose Riga
     5. Johnnie Jackson
     6. Bob Peeters
     7. Karl Robinson
     8. Dean Holden
     9. Nigel Adkins
    10. Russell Slade
    11. Guy Luzon
    12. Ben Garner
    13. Alan Pardew
    14. Michael Appleton
    15. Karel Fraeye

That later spell with Watt, Bulot, Eagles, Igor, Cousins, Jackson, Johnson, Solly, Gomez etc was good to watch. Entertaining wins at home to Forest, Brentford, Leeds and Huddersfield and away wins at Wigan, Cardiff & Blackpool. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
     1. Chris Powell
     2. Lee Bowyer
     3. Phil Parkinson
     4. Jose Riga
     5. Johnnie Jackson
     6. Bob Peeters
     7. Karl Robinson
     8. Dean Holden
     9. Nigel Adkins
    10. Russell Slade
    11. Guy Luzon
    12. Ben Garner
    13. Alan Pardew
    14. Michael Appleton
    15. Karel Fraeye

Came close to beating Millwall at home that season too, goal line clearance (after Tucadean rounded their keeper) from them denied us a winner at the death.
    Yes remember that.
  • Options
    Powell
    Bowyer
    Riga (first spell)
    Robinson
    Jackson
    Pardew
    Parkinson
    Peeters
    Holden
    Riga (second spell)
    Luzon
    Adkins
    Garner
    Slade
    Fraeye
    Appleton

• Options
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. Phil Parkinson
    4. Jose Riga 
    5. Johnnie Jackson
    6. Karl Robinson
    7. Dean Holden
    8. Ben Garner
    9. Nigel Adkins
    10. Alan Pardew
    11. Guy Luzon
    12. Bob Peters 
    13. Russell Slade
    14. Michael Appleton
    15. Karel Fraeye
  • Options
    It's disgusting to me that of this list:

The last 10 years take up 17 of the 44 managers we've had in 100 years. 
  • Options
    edited January 25
    There are so many that would probably be OK under the right circumstances, but we were being run by idiots for the most part.

Adkins, Parkinson, Robinson are decent enough lower league managers (but no more than that).

Pardew could probably point to decent-ish work at a few other clubs but I'm not as convinced there.

Riga the second time inherited a mess etc.
  • Options
    Parky 3rd. Blimey, we couldn’t wait to get rid of him could we. 
    Some of you!  :)

Large Addick knows I was not of that opinion.

I would not have Pardew as high as 5
  • Options
    1. Chris Powell
    2. Lee Bowyer
    3. JJ
    4. Alan Pardew
    5. Jose Riga
    6. Phil Parkinson
    7. Karl Robinson 
    I would like to forget the rest . Striking that the top 4 were all ex Charlton players. Not guaranteed success but almost sure to be guaranteed enthusiasm and desire.
    And support. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 26
    It would be interesting to see the number of games managed in these charts as there is almost certain to be a direct correlation between success, popularity with fans, and how long they were in the hot seat for.

Powell 161
    Bowyer 157
    Parky 114 

etc..
  • Options
    It would be interesting to see the number of games managed in these charts as there is almost certain to be a direct correlation between success, popularity with fans, and how long they were in the hot seat for.

Powell 161
    Bowyer 157
    Parky 114 

etc..
    And pre Prem
    Seed 730
    Curbs 729
  • Options
    Powell 
    Bowyer
    Jackson
    Riga
    Holden
    Robinson
    Parky

• Options
    Parky being so high on so many lists feels like revisitionist history to me. His teams were awful and he was a very very limited manager.

1) Powell
    2) Bowyer
    3) Riga
    4) Robinson
    5) Peters
    6) Garner 
    7) Luzon I guess
    8) Parky 
    9) Pards
    10) Jacko
    11) Adkins
    12) Appleton
    13) Holden
    14) Fraeye
    15) Slade
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Parky being so high on so many lists feels like revisitionist history to me. His teams were awful and he was a very very limited manager.

1) Powell
    2) Bowyer
    3) Riga
    4) Robinson
    5) Peters
    6) Garner 
    7) Luzon I guess
    8) Parky 
    9) Pards
    10) Jacko
    11) Adkins
    12) Appleton
    13) Holden
    14) Fraeye
    15) Slade
    Luzon had extremely good players in his first half season but was truly abysmal the following year .  
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

1) Powell
    2) Bowyer
    3) Riga
    4) Robinson
    5) Peters
    6) Garner 
    7) Luzon I guess
    8) Parky 
    9) Pards
    10) Jacko
    11) Adkins
    12) Appleton
    13) Holden
    14) Fraeye
    15) Slade
    Parkinson teams didn’t play good football, but in L1 he got results and that was with a limited budget, never paying fees for anyone. We lost in the playoffs and were still in them when he was sacked.

Some on that list had  £1m+ signings - Pardew had several, in the RD era we had Vetokele and Sarr plus good frees/loans like JBG, Buyens and so on.

I think a lot of managers on that list would have found it tough had they managed Parkinson’s squads.
  • Options
    What Lee Bowyer achieved working for that arseclown and his network was incredible. I remain supportive of him now as he was working under ridiculous constraints, had his main goalscorer sold in January replaced with a free but game Josh Parker and sod all else. If it wasn't for Brentford shitting the bed he would have kept us in the championship with arguably a less capable squad than we had the season before. 

Powelly gave us an amazing time he was here, sadly he was also working for people who had no business being in charge of a football club and then was disgracefully treated by someone who unbelievably remains unmurdered 

The rest, apart from Phil Parkinson and Jacko who the players inexplicably decided to stop playing for can get in a bin. The ponces from that stupid network, Adkins, Garner, Slade, Holden and Robinson I have no doubt are good company and good, well intended people. Michael Appleton probably is too but I'm still sulking with him at the minute

• Options
    Look at that list of managers  since 2006...... heartbreaking.
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Parkinson was an honest manager who did his best, sure his football may not have been pretty enough for the purists but he kept us serious promotion candidates in a much tougher situation then others had to deal with.

He does not deserve to be ranked among the journeyman failures and network rejects.
  • Options
    Maybe Riga's got one more Charlton spell in him. We could do with a manager with a decent relegation fighting pedigree and like others have said he seemed a decent bloke as well 
    I think it's fair to say he had a mixed record in that regard.