Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP House of Commoners group

Comments

• Options
    The weirdos that like arguing with strangers on t'internet after a hard day's graft at work about bozzas big water cannon can always set up a WhatsApp group. You can even do video calls and show you really mean business.
  • Options
    It's a joke my friend. Just a little light hearted joke.
  • Options
    Those who moaned the loudest were those who wouldn't accept evidence that contradicted their world view, no matter how much it it stacked up. 

If people who presented opinion as fact, people who pretended those with an opposing view had said something they clearly hadn't and people who made stuff up to "back up" their opinion had been stopped from doing so, it would have been better. 

Sadly they are not used to their opinion being contradicted because of the media they consume (although they often lied about that too).

It was nice to have a platform to contradict the bullshit that many people believe without question. For me, it was never about persuading the entrenched to change their minds, it was about showing the neutral where and why the entrenched were wrong. 
    Oh dear.

There were a little cadre of people who used to post on there who were convinced that they were so morally superior and that their view of the world was absolutely right that they would not countenance any alternative view because they couldn't possibly be wrong.

And those people weren't usually on the right.

That is the post of the year so far...Bang on.
  • Options
    Some of the most extreme right wing and left wing people I have met in my life has been at Charlton. I would have no wish to engage with them on politics on a forum that is about our club, and providing a lot of unnecessary aggro for the mods who do a great job, voluntarily.
  • Options
    Out of interest (and i say this as someone who probably looked on that part of the forum twice in my life) why does it need to be moderated? I'd imagine there's quite a few people on here who probably didn't even know it existed.

If a select few want to waste their days arguing amongst themselves on a part of the forum that hardly anyone goes to, then why not just leave them to it?
    That's what I've been wondering. As someone who enjoyed and participated in the HoC, I've never felt the need to involve a moderator in any of the discussions. 
  • Options
    Those who moaned the loudest were those who wouldn't accept evidence that contradicted their world view, no matter how much it it stacked up. 

If people who presented opinion as fact, people who pretended those with an opposing view had said something they clearly hadn't and people who made stuff up to "back up" their opinion had been stopped from doing so, it would have been better. 

Sadly they are not used to their opinion being contradicted because of the media they consume (although they often lied about that too).

It was nice to have a platform to contradict the bullshit that many people believe without question. For me, it was never about persuading the entrenched to change their minds, it was about showing the neutral where and why the entrenched were wrong. 
    Oh dear.

There were a little cadre of people who used to post on there who were convinced that they were so morally superior and that their view of the world was absolutely right that they would not countenance any alternative view because they couldn't possibly be wrong.

And those people weren't usually on the right.
    Interesting then that it is mainly those with ‘rightish’ views that are the most keen to have the HofC part of the forum closed. Alternative views indeed.  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Some of the most extreme right wing and left wing people I have met in my life has been at Charlton. I would have no wish to engage with them on politics on a forum that is about our club, and providing a lot of unnecessary aggro for the mods who do a great job, voluntarily.
    Ftr this would be the case at virtually any football club forum. Maybe not Dulwich Hamlet. Or Chelsea 
  • Options
    I must admit, I never posted on there to persuade right leaning people to come over to my way of thinking. It was more to discuss the mess the Government has done with like minded people. What I don't like is name calling and labelling. That happened from both sides. I have a bit of an annoyance personally about people who don't engage in politics and try to undermine those who do. I think, no wonder the country is in a mess if so many people are not engaged in the things that determine what sort of lives we have.
  • Options
    This thread is developing 
    How you doing shoots you alright mate.
  • Options
    Part of the reason I liked HoC (bar one or two posters) is that it's hard to find places online that have a wide variety of views like they do on here, as this is a specific interest forum. Specific political forums are usually echo chambers with little tolerance for different views
  • Options
    Part of the reason I liked HoC (bar one or two posters) is that it's hard to find places online that have a wide variety of views like they do on here, as this is a specific interest forum. Specific political forums are usually echo chambers with little tolerance for different views
    Yeah. I know I am (and jacob is) usually typecast as being very much on one pole of political arguments, but trust me, I've been in plenty of online lefty bubbles and you get a lot less insight into political reality and possibility in such spaces (although you DO still get violent disagreement; if you can imagine it, there are places online where I'm regarded as suspiciously centrist). I appreciated how on the HOC I was able to see what the entire spectrum of society thinks, and why it thinks it. I don't think it should be scrapped. Possibly it should have its own dedicated moderation crew - I see we have some volunteers already.
  • Options
    edited February 6
    I wrote a private message to a senior moderator when the HOC was closed suggesting I would be blamed.
    It is not etiquette to post a private message, but from the reply it was made explicit that it wasn’t down to me. I was given a reason why the HOC was closed.
    I still have the message in my inbox.
    For those who purport to know why it was closed perhaps they will share that knowledge with the rest of us backed up by evidence.
    Everything else is speculation.
    Posters who feel the adversarial nature was the problem have a point as do those who feel it was toxic to get into differences with others.
    However politics and similar discussions are always adversarial.
    The key point for me is when it comes to personal attacks, which with one exception in 2019 I was not guilty of.
    I would always fight back when attacked. I don’t have the strength of character of Ronnie Moore of this parish who never responds to the personals.

• Options
    Also, I feel like the HOC has had a moderating effect on certain behaviours of mine and perhaps others too. I'm now far less likely to rip into someone about their views, unless on very specific topics that concern actual close friends and family of mine :)
  • Options
    Good Chips. You ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good Chips. You ?

Yes mate all good here...just seeing whether we can avoid the drop....very embarrassing if we don't.
  • Options
    I think a 'no personal attacks' hardline would leave a lot of grey areas, myself.

I'd rather a very light moderation policy with intervention only in obviously extreme cases or persistent trolling. Everyone gets to roast everyone else, everyone shakes hands at the end. Everyone learns to ignore the obvious troll. A lad can dream
  • Options
    edited February 6
    I don't think there would be grey areas. I can say your views are wrong IMO but I can't call you a fascist or an anti semite or even an idiot or similar word. I can't tell you to stop posting or imply you are a winker like some did to Seth. Just ignore him or disagree him if you don't like what he is saying. Sorry to highlight Seth, I am using him to make a general point.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I wrote a private message to a senior moderator when the HOC was closed suggesting I would be blamed.
    It is not etiquette to post a private message, but from the reply it was made explicit that it wasn’t down to me. I was given a reason why the HOC was closed.
    I still have the message in my inbox.
    For those who purport to know why it was closed perhaps they will share that knowledge with the rest of us backed up by evidence.
    Everything else is speculation.
    Posters who feel the adversarial nature was the problem have a point as do those who feel it was toxic to get into differences with others.
    However politics and similar discussions are always adversarial.
    The key point for me is when it comes to personal attacks, which with one exception in 2019 I was not guilty of.
    I would always fight back when attacked. I don’t have the strength of character of Ronnie Moore of this parish who never responds to the personals.

Afka posted on page 1 why it was closed.
  • Options
    I don't think there would be grey areas. I can say your views are wrong IMO but I can't call you a fascist or an anti semite or even an idiot or similar word. 
    There's a difference between calling someone something socially unacceptable like a 'fascist' or an 'antisemite', and calling someone something colloquial and commonplace, like an 'idiot', you silly fool! ;)
  • Options
    The test for me is, would it be okay if the loud bloke behind you at the football yelled it at the players. If yes, then it's fine for HOC.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I don't think there would be grey areas. I can say your views are wrong IMO but I can't call you a fascist or an anti semite or even an idiot or similar word. 
    There's a difference between calling someone something socially unacceptable like a 'fascist' or an 'antisemite', and calling someone something colloquial and commonplace, like an 'idiot', you silly fool! ;)
    There is indeed a difference and neither are acceptable you ...........
  • Options
    What stopping someone starting a forum.charltonlifepolitics.com as a totally separate entity with its own rules and if required moderation, I don’t know if this is possible, but also with say the only way of accessing the new forum is via the main forum, therefore they would have to be registered with charltonlife, and would be known participants. I’m sure the more technically knowledgeable could work it out. Probably a load of rubbish and just a thought, but not thought through.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!