Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City: Tuesday 13th February 2024 | KO 19:45

The less said about the first half the better. Charlton made hard work of even the basics and found themselves down 1-0 after 37 minutes to former academy prospect Reece Hackett-Fairchild. It was a cagey affair, but going a goal down before the half made the mood significantly worse.

Surprisingly, Alfie May was substituted on 64 mins to make way for Chuks Aneke. Not long after, Daniel Kanu made way for Freddie Ladapo. An inspired second half, though far from convincing, showed more fight than in recent weeks. Chuks Aneke lifted the mood significantly, raising the atmosphere from the Covered End, and bringing a cutting edge to the attack. Creating absolute chaos at times, his power forced through an opportunity for Ladapo, who blasted the Addicks level. The tension relieved somewhat, the Addicks pushed on. Camara and Edun came on to provide fresh legs for the final wave of attacks. Unfortunately, with Lincoln on the back foot for most of the remainder, Charlton weren’t able to find another. Still, a point is helpful and a platform on which to build.

Honours even at the Valley.

Charlton 1 Lincoln 1

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 13
    Would be great if we could take this last 30 minutes into our next game...

Until I look and see we're playing Bolton so that's a point if we're very lucky. 
  • Options
    Agree with that Croydon. We need to see what Jones can do given a month with them if not longer
  • Options
    As I said on the match thread. That paper over the cracks. A schocking performance of the players.
    A point helps but is not enough.with that performance Portsmouth will get their first win in ages over us.
  • Options
    The lack of communication is seriously concerning. For most of the game it was a team of individuals 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Garbage stuff really. 

The only slither of saving grace is that part of me thinks they played that way today to practice for the next three where a direct approach is probably the best solution. But I think that's very optimistic of me.

Not sure how you can turn up and play like that tonight and think you are gonna win the game more than not. Created hardly anything. 

Early days obvs, but that was about as bad of a game of football I've watched in ages. Just lumping it.
  • Options
    NJ absolutely cannot rely on Aneke staying fit. He has to find a system that works without him. Still not sure what that can be given the players we have and don't have.
    The first half is what we will get without Aneke otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another disgraceful performance until Aneke came on. There’s no lack of effort with these players, they’re just genuinely shit.

Pretty much all of our wins this season have come from a moment of magic from either CBT or Aneke and the genius that is Andy Scott decided to sell one of them without a replacement. We are absolutely 100% reliant on an 8 or 9 game run from Chuks otherwise I’m certain we’ll be down. 
  • Options
    I actually thought it was an improvement and we were better defensively organised than we have been. The issue still lies with the wing backs. I think both had a good game overall but are so easily marked out the game going forward. They get the ball wide and are so isolated they have no choice but to turn around and play backwards, need the midfielders and forwards to help them out.

We also looked better going forward when May went off. Kanu did his best to win a few but the inability to get the wingbacks forward just resulted in aimless lumps up. 
  • Options
    We need minimum 3 points from the next 3 games, IMO

That would require 3 draws and going unbeaten against the top 3, a huge feat at this stage of the season, or actually beating one of them, a huge feat for us as it snaps the winless run