Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Bolton Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 17th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Bolton Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 17th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ross Joyce

Introduction
Its understandably been a sluggish start to life in SE7 for Nathan Jones, given the limited amount of time he's had at the club. However the second half against Lincoln City on Tuesday night, potentially gave us a glimpse of things to come under the Welshman. This Saturdays trip to Bolton marks the start of three tough games, failure to get anything wont immediately end our season, get something... anything from these games though, and we may yet see some confidence from this squad once more!!

The Opposition
Name: Bolton Wanderers (3rd) | Manager: Ian Evatt
Ground: Toughsheet Stadium (No... Really!!)
Previous League Result: Bolton 2-1 Wycombe

The fixture lists that get produced each summer are of course, completely randomised - But it must have been in a sadistic mood by ensuring that we played two of the top three in back to back games, especially with our League One future, dangling on a knife edge.

Bolton come into this game, as the side who'll be looking to avoid the season extending Play-Offs, and so dislodge either Derby or Portsmouth from the automatic slots; the Trotters have games in hand against their opponents, even with Derby facing a re-arranged fixture against the Addicks in just over a week, yet none will want to be left adrift, especially as we get closer and closer to the business end of the season. In terms of form, and Bolton come into this fixture on Saturday with just the one win in four "games" (albeit one of those was called off due to a Waterlogged pitch).. Indeed it will have been a relief to their fans on Tuesday night, where they recorded a 2-1 home win over Wycombe. However they've lost just once this calendar year, and haven't been beaten at home since mid-December...

It doesnt help either that the Addicks have a horrible record against Bolton, we've not won in five encounters (home or away), the last coming in 2017, a 2-1 victory which saw us coming from behind (Good God!!).

If we can achieve a similar result this Saturday, they I say Toughsheet to Bolton's promotion hopes

Charlton Team News
Nathan Jones could well have a selection dilemma this Saturday... In attack!! - Tuesday night saw no less than four Strikers used, and just one goal scored, so its not as though any are assured of their place, with Alfie May no exception given he was the first to be replaced against Lincoln - Daniel Kanu and Freddie Ladapo no doubt eager to start themselves if Jones decides to change things... We all know it would be suicide to start someone in particular

Elsewhere and Kayne Ramsay may be rested given his withdrawal on Tuesday night, due to a hamstring problem, that'll no doubt end with Tennai Watson and Tayo Edun as our Full / Wing-Backs... Whilst both Conor Coventry and Louie Watson could return to contention, having been left out vs. Lincoln City.

Isted
Edmonds-Green - Jones - Thomas
T.Watson - Dobson - Coventry - Edun
Bakinson
Kanu - Ladapo

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Ramsay - Gillesphey - Camara - Anderson - Aneke - May

Comments

• Options
    We're going to get trounced.
  • Options
    Imagine Camara would at least be on the bench. Maybe Watson will be aswell instead of Anderson. I thought Anderson done okay against Lincoln but these are tough games so need some fresh legs in there.
  • Options
    Imagine Camara would at least be on the bench. Maybe Watson will be aswell instead of Anderson. I thought Anderson done okay against Lincoln but these are tough games so need some fresh legs in there.
    Cheers forgot about Camara
  • Options
    edited February 15
    Feel optimistic of another draw, maybe 1-1 again, things are slowly getting together, mind you we need Alfie in there as a 10, but and with Chuks and Camara in the wings, we could maybe shock a few people...👍
  • Options
    I’m gutted to say I can’t see past Bolton 3 - Charlton 0
  • Options
    I can imagine seeing a repeat of the Reading line-up with Dobson coming in for Watson and Edmonds Green keeping his spot. 

So a line-up of: 

Isted

Watson - Edmonds Green - Jones - Thomas - Edun

Bakinson - Dobson - Coventry

May - Ladapo

Would like to see Gillesphey in the Thomas position but who knows. 

We lose, but if we look competitive and decent at the back I'll take that. 
  • Options
    I can imagine seeing a repeat of the Reading line-up with Dobson coming in for Watson and Edmonds Green keeping his spot. 

So a line-up of: 

Isted

Watson - Edmonds Green - Jones - Thomas - Edun

Bakinson - Dobson - Coventry

May - Ladapo

Would like to see Gillesphey in the Thomas position but who knows. 

We lose, but if we look competitive and decent at the back I'll take that. 
    Keeper

REG, Jones, Thomas;

Campbell, Dobson, Coventry, Watson;

May

Kanu, Ladapo

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-1 Bolton but another sign of improvement and life from us 
  • Options
    Said on another thread .. this is a free hit we never ever win at Bolton or at the valley to be fair we never get much luck either against them … this scoreline always seen to start Bolton 3-? Charlton ……. Anything from here will be a massive bonus .
  • Options
    a tougher than tough assignment lol .. as I've said on another topic, the performance rather than the result is what I am looking for .. I can take a loss provided it is not a surrender by our players .. 
    Their form and goal scoring has dropped off a wee bit since Christmas, however defence is their very strong suit .. 
     whatever going right back to the moustachioed Big Sam Allardyce playing days, Bolton have usually been stiff opposition and they will be on Saturday .. any of the three possible outcomes would not really surprise me .. I'm looking forward to this one
  • Options
    edited February 15
    3-2
  • Options
    I believe we will get some points from the next three matches but this one feels like a defeat sadly.
  • Options
    A Desmond all day long to prolong the anxiety that comes with flirting with relegation and will we, won’t we…
  • Options
    Driving up to Stoke on Trent Saturday to see my son’s dance studio - valentine’s ball. So debating if I get there early enough can drop off the wife & carry on to Bolton.
    Not expecting miracles but hope springs eternal.
    Every Bolton side I’ve seen recently are just physically massive. Look more like rugby players, bite your arm off for a draw.
           COYR !
  • Options
    Bolton go all out to emulate Mansfield and wallop us 9-2.
  • Options
    I'm going for a heroic draw!
  • Options
    I'm going for a heroic draw also, 1-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 15
    Valley11 said:
    Feels like Bolton away is one of the biggest bogey fixtures for us. Can’t remember ever winning there 
    Saw us fluke a win up there in 2017, when they were around the top of the league. We had a man sent off after 10 minutes and they scored from the resultant freekick. They battered us the whole game but we somehow scored twice. More of that on Saturday would be good (minus the red), can see us getting played off the park again
  • Options
    Last time I went to Bolton I remember speaking to Martin Simons while waiting to change trains in Manchester. We were in a bar in the station trying to find out if game was still on. He would always along with a few directors travel on the supporters club train.

Think I will go with a similar scoreline Bolton 4-0.
  • Options
    Charlton’s league trips to Bolton over the last 30 years have seen 3 wins from 17 games played 

2-0 - March 2000 Pringle (Martin not Derek) & Hunt
    2-1 - August 2002 Bart-Williams & Euell
    2-1 - January 2017 Bauer & Byrne
  • Options
    Think we need to try something a bit different so we can create a bit more, possibly more suited to the home game vs Pompey though. 

Isted

Ramsay           Jones                              Thomas               Watson

Coventry      Dobson        Camara

May

Kanu           Ladapo
    Gave this a LOL because of the way it looks on mobile, but in all seriousness I quite like that lineup, but maybe for a home game. I think that would get obliterated by Bolton, who are hands down the best team we've seen at the Valley this season.
  • Options
    edited February 16
    If fit I would probably go with something like the below.  Quite solid/defensive with some size across the team except up front where Alfie and Kanu can run their defenders until they are tired and then Aneke and Ladapo come on and beat them up a bit.

Isted
     Ramsey  REG.  Jones.  Gillesphey.  Thomas
                Dobson.   Bakinson
                         Camara
                      Kanu.    May

Bolton are missing Charles, Santos and T
    homason and not in great form.
    1-2 Charlton to win.

• Options
    Just bend over and take the punishment...  3-0.
  • Options
    I think on Tuesday Anderson both played well enough to earn himself another start, but also he brings something to the midfield that we lack which is someone who can be strong on the ball, get stuck in, and has a bit of quality in the final third (sometimes this season he has looked like his only quality has been in the final third). By no means the finished product but might be the missing link in midfield until Camara is fully fit.

Which brings me to...is Camara fit enough for 60? Do you risk him given any points away to Bolton are basically a bonus and we then have a full week between games for him to get more fit? I'm inclined to think no.

My prediction:
    ...............Isted
    10A REG Jones Thomas Edun
    ..............Dobbo
    ....Anderson......Bakinson
    ..........May.......Ladapo

Bench: AMB, Gillesphey, Asiimwe, Coventry, Camara, Kanu, Aneke

I don't know what the prognosis on Ramsay is but given he came off on Tuesday find it hard to believe he will be available. I think TC drops out of the squad because of the attacking threat Chuks, Kanu, and Camara can provide. 
  • Options
    I'd rather we played four four two but can't see that happening. Alfie, playing just off the strikers works for me and we can't afford to carry anyone in midfield, so Louie Watson is a no and i'd still have Camara and Chuks on the bench, don't think Ramsey will make it so it's 'The Dracular Brothers' back in at wing/full back. We would need to get to half time all square and if that's still the case at 70 mins bring on Chuks and Camara, as the game is stretched, can't see any of those scenarios happening so it's a two nil defeat in my book.