Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Bolton Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 17th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    SDAddick said:
    I think on Tuesday Anderson both played well enough to earn himself another start, but also he brings something to the midfield that we lack which is someone who can be strong on the ball, get stuck in, and has a bit of quality in the final third (sometimes this season he has looked like his only quality has been in the final third). By no means the finished product but might be the missing link in midfield until Camara is fully fit.

Which brings me to...is Camara fit enough for 60? Do you risk him given any points away to Bolton are basically a bonus and we then have a full week between games for him to get more fit? I'm inclined to think no.

My prediction:
    ...............Isted
    10A REG Jones Thomas Edun
    ..............Dobbo
    ....Anderson......Bakinson
    ..........May.......Ladapo

Bench: AMB, Gillesphey, Asiimwe, Coventry, Camara, Kanu, Aneke

I don't know what the prognosis on Ramsay is but given he came off on Tuesday find it hard to believe he will be available. I think TC drops out of the squad because of the attacking threat Chuks, Kanu, and Camara can provide. 
    No point in risking our recovering injured players in a game like this. If we are losing by a couple of goals by 60 minutes I would not evn bring Camara or Aneke on as subs. just try and keep the score down and save them for the winnable games.

If it is still 0-0 at 60 then maybe worth the risk. 
    This.
  • Options
    edited February 15
    Tough game that we will do well to get anything out of. But lets not go with this 'free hit' and 'I will take a defeat if we play better' bollocks.

Reading was deemed must win. Then Lincoln was deemed must win.

At some point you have to win! We have shown unfortunately that we cant be relied on to get results from any match - so cant wait for so called easier games.

We need a result. If we had performed vs Reading and Lincoln then the pressure would be off to an extent.

• Options
    I always nap Bolton to beat Cafc home or away in recent years.
    I f Bolton are on their A game then it could get embarrassing but every game the cafc manager and players need to believe they can negate the opposition.
    Just looked at the table and Bolton are 30 points clear of Charlton with 2 games in hand !

If we get a point at Bolton it will rank as a miracle.

Let it be.
  • Options
    Was going to be sensible and go with my head. Know what though? I think we could get something here. Clean sheet and a couple of goals for Ladapo. Anyone fancy doing some of the special vitamins I am doing?
  • Options
    Think we need to try something a bit different so we can create a bit more, possibly more suited to the home game vs Pompey though. 

Isted

Ramsay           Jones                              Thomas               Watson

Coventry      Dobson        Camara

May

Kanu           Ladapo
    Looking at that has made me go cockeyed

• Options
    Think we need to try something a bit different so we can create a bit more, possibly more suited to the home game vs Pompey though. 

Isted

Ramsay           Jones                              Thomas               Watson

Coventry      Dobson        Camara

May

Kanu           Ladapo
    that is a decent punt at naming a line up .. FOUR AT THE BACK, might be old hat, BUT it's the way for us in the future ..  plus a forward trio but I'd have Aneke in  from the start, he can be replaced by Kanu if/when he is injured or out of puff .. however on  Saturday the first priority is to defend defend defend and, one more time DEFEND until the Bolton players are sick of it and are bruised and demoralised and we can nick a winner .. 
  • Options
    I’m not writing off getting something from this game - I think we will pick up a few points in the next three games and then be ready for the big push once out the way - critical that chucks and camara stay fit and ladapo continues to get stronger 
  • Options
    Whatever the result on Saturday, we will have to get behind the team and give them 100% support!
    This will feed into the players and with NJ, he will find a way to negotiate us to stay in this league!!!
  • Options
    Whatever the result on Saturday, we will have to get behind the team and give them 100% support!
    This will feed into the players and with NJ, he will find a way to negotiate us to stay in this league!!!
    Agreed - as others have said, there’s no point booing now - we have the players we have now and I’m confident Jones will get the best out of them so we need to do our part now and stick with them in the moments when it’s not happening - the last half hour the other night has given me hope - first time for a while we looked like scoring 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Was going to be sensible and go with my head. Know what though? I think we could get something here. Clean sheet and a couple of goals for Ladapo. Anyone fancy doing some of the special ketamines I am doing?
    That explains the name at least....
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Feels like Bolton away is one of the biggest bogey fixtures for us. Can’t remember ever winning there 
    We beat them a few years ago at the Reebok playing the whole game with 10 men.

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Feels like Bolton away is one of the biggest bogey fixtures for us. Can’t remember ever winning there 
    2-1 when Page got sent off.  2-0 in 2000
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    2-1 when Page got sent off.  2-0 in 2000
    0-2 in 2024...🙄
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    SDAddick said:
    I think on Tuesday Anderson both played well enough to earn himself another start, but also he brings something to the midfield that we lack which is someone who can be strong on the ball, get stuck in, and has a bit of quality in the final third (sometimes this season he has looked like his only quality has been in the final third). By no means the finished product but might be the missing link in midfield until Camara is fully fit.

Which brings me to...is Camara fit enough for 60? Do you risk him given any points away to Bolton are basically a bonus and we then have a full week between games for him to get more fit? I'm inclined to think no.

My prediction:
    ...............Isted
    10A REG Jones Thomas Edun
    ..............Dobbo
    ....Anderson......Bakinson
    ..........May.......Ladapo

Bench: AMB, Gillesphey, Asiimwe, Coventry, Camara, Kanu, Aneke

I don't know what the prognosis on Ramsay is but given he came off on Tuesday find it hard to believe he will be available. I think TC drops out of the squad because of the attacking threat Chuks, Kanu, and Camara can provide. 
    No point in risking our recovering injured players in a game like this. If we are losing by a couple of goals by 60 minutes I would not evn bring Camara or Aneke on as subs. just try and keep the score down and save them for the winnable games.

If it is still 0-0 at 60 then maybe worth the risk. 
    With no game on Tuesday I think they're worth the risk at 2-0. Even though Bolton are tough, given our league position every point counts. Not starting them I get, but I feel like saying that the game is over at 2-0 in the 60th probably isn't the way to go. Especially given we know that Chuks can absolutely wreak havoc. 

I also think that for Camara especially, getting more match fit by playing is probably helpful. We know it's always a gamble with Chuks.

3 or more-nil is probably my cutoff. 
  • Options
    We’ll lose this one and then the next two. Before long we’ll be adrift from the other teams at the bottom of the league. God, it’s depressing …. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    We’ll lose this one and then the next two. Before long we’ll be adrift from the other teams at the bottom of the league. God, it’s depressing …. 

...Think positive thoughts...🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    A point would be a massive result, but I think we'll lose this one. 3-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 0 and everyone bangs on about how amazing Santos is again
  • Options
    Mike said:
    2 0 and everyone bangs on about how amazing Santos is again
    They probably would if he was playing. 
  • Options
    Is small not fit?
  • Options
    It’s a big plus if Santos doesn’t play. He’s immense for them at the back. I think even Chuks would have had a hard time against him. 
  • Options
    Win this and I’ll believe staying up is a real possibility, anything else means Relegation is a real possibility 
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Dion Charles out injured.
    “Top-goalscorer Dion Charles (knee) is absent for Bolton, who are also without goalkeeper Nathan Baxter (wrist) and captain Ricardo Almeida Santos (calf).

George Thomason is suspended, while doubts remain over the fitness of Will Forrester (hamstring).”
  • Options
    Win this and I’ll believe staying up is a real possibility, anything else means Relegation is a real possibility 
    If we’re capable of winning this I would say that staying up is a probability
  • Options
    This is exactly the sort of game where you can nick a result. 
    Bolton are odds on favorites, and we are rank outsiders. Think of Swindon Town at the Valley years ago.

Our luck has to change, and maybe tomorrow is the day it finally happens.

I am going 0-1 to Charlton.