Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby County v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 27th February 2024 | Match Preview, Prediction & News

edited February 26 in General Charlton
Derby County v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 27th February 2024 - Kick-Off: 19:45

Referee
Jeremy Simpson - last officiated a Charlton match against Derby back in December 2019! Simpson has officiated Derby on many occasions but has only been the man in the middle for us against Derby, Bradford, Shrewsbury, Birmingham, Barnsley, and Leicester, all away from home. 

Introduction
Our first clean sheet since the middle of October was achieved on Saturday against the league leaders. A shocking statistic it is, but a foundation to build upon going into the crucial last 12 games of the season. Performances have improved under Jones where we look committed and willing to fight for everything. Picking up points against the top sides has to provide confidence that we will have enough about us to get the points we need in our bid for survival. This preview is slightly different for me this time round as I can't say anything about how we played or set up on Saturday as I wasn't in attendance, but what I can say is I am delighted that we will be having a new Charlton supporter (and potential player) with us soon as my newly wedded wife and I found out we are having a baby boy! - but enough of that personal business, there's a game in Derbyshire to take care of! Next up, the Addicks face Derby County in our quest to pick up our second league away win of the season...

Opposition
Stadium: Pride Park
Manager: Paul Warne
Nickname(s): The Rams
Previous result: A 2-1 loss away at Barnsley. Their line up was:
Wildsmith
Nelson - Bradley - Cashin
Wilson - Hourihane - Adams - Elder
Bird - Silbey
Mendez-Laing

We only played Derby in the reverse fixture at the start of the month, narrowly losing 1-0 at The Valley courtesy of a Mendez-Laing winner after receiving treatment off the pitch for what seemed an eternity. Since, Derby have picked up wins against Exeter and Stevenage, a draw against Shrewsbury, and the recent defeat at Barnsley. As we saw when we played them a few weeks back, the Rams rarely give up many chances and have the second best defence in the league. They're not afraid to wind the clock down and frustrate opponents if they need to, and despite their league position, supporters are not best pleased with the entertainment, or lack of, on offer. But in this division, it doesn't matter about free-flowing football, great if you can do it and win, but it's the points and getting into the Championship which counts. Derby have a manager who has a track record of that and with the size of club, they really ought to be achieving that goal this season.

A player who has struggle to feature for different reasons, injury being a main one, is a player we all know very well. Blackett-Taylor moved to Derby in the January window and since, our creativity has almost completely faded away scoring just 5 goals in 6 games. CBT was always going to be a big loss to us, and we can hope that he will continue to be unavailable to Derby this midweek.

Derby's form over the last 10 matches has them in 4th place with a PPG of 2.00. However, what is interesting is that of those 10 games, their opponents average PPG is 1.24, only Portsmouth and Bristol Rovers have played against a lower average PPG in the same time period whilst no club has a higher average PPG for opponents than Charlton from our previous 10. Although we have struggled to pick up points for a long time, we have - on average - played against teams with play-off form, it does maybe put a different spin on things. 

Charlton Team News
Lloyd Jones picked up his 10th booking of the season meaning he will miss our away trips to Derby and Northampton. Thankfully, as games now are coming thick and fast, the defender - who has greatly improved since his short spell out of the team, won't be waiting too long for his return. It has come at a time where we are well stocked in central defence and Gillesphey, Ness, and the returned from injury, Michael Hector, will all be looking to play.

Thierry Small has come in for Edun at left-wing back and shown to be very good at Bolton and I have seen some positive reviews of his performance on Saturday. Hopefully that continues and he can become a regular as he has a lot of excellent attributes. Talking of young players, another 19 year-old, born 2 months exactly after Small, Karoy Anderson has shown to be outstanding since his recall into the first-team picture under Nathan Jones. The academy graduate picking up the man of the match award on Saturday highlights how bright his future could be.

There are likely to be a couple of changes away from the enforced Jones switch with potentially a new front two and a different body in midfield. Coventry will look to be included in the squad after missing out on Saturday whilst Camara will be aiming for his first start since our only away win of the season. Will Kanu and May continue up top? Will Ladapo be recalled? Lots of decisions to be made. Can only hope that Jones finds the right formula to bring our first win since the end of November.

Isted
REG - Hector - Thomas
Watson - Dobson - Camara - Small
Anderson
May - Ladapo

Maynard-Brewer, Gillesphey, Edun, Bakinson, Coventry, Kanu, Aneke

Derby County 1-1 Charlton Athletic
May

Comments

• Options
    Many congrats on your personal news!!
    I very much doubt Hector or Camara will start so Gillesphey and either Coventry or Bakinson will, sadly. Bakinson is not very good and Coventry's game may not be physically imposing enough for the third division.
    1-1 this time. Kanu with the goal.

• Options
    Congratulations on your news.

I think we've been building up to a win. 0-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    Derby have lost three league games in 2024 so hopefully this might be a good time to play them.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    No wins in our last 10 visits in all competitions at Pride Park

Last win - February 1999. Pringle (Not Derek) and Hunt 2-0

Good day out that was :)
  • Options
    You certainly don't do things by half, Sage ! 

Huge congrats for both pieces of news ! A busy but happy time in the Sage household. 

Long may it last ! x
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking at Derby they've had some mixed results the past month. Hopefully we can grab a win would really give us a lift going into March 
  • Options
    Another Draw . This time a Desmond . 2-2 ( ladapo & Chuks)
  • Options
    I'm going 1-0, Alfie May. 

• Options
    As much as Watson hasn’t been great, he’s definitely improved under Jones. Do we know how bad his injury was on Saturday?
    Without him do we go Asiimwe or REG at rwb?
    If REG do we go with Ness in the back 3?
  • Options
    Is Hector back & fit to start?
  • Options
    Why have I got a memory of a 1-0 win and a Danny Green goal from miles out? Was that against someone else?
  • Options
    Congratulations on your news! @Sage
  • Options
    Congratulations to both of you Sage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent preview Sage 
    Congratulations to you and Mrs  Sage. 
    Hopefully another decent performance and a point or 3 to go with it.
    1 1.
  • Options
    Another solid performance. Hoping for a win but I can’t see beyond a defeat 1-0 to Derby 
  • Options
    Asiimwe is in the U21s so I would assume that Watson will be fit enough to be involved 
  • Options
    Congratulations Sage and family!

Great preview. Going and looking forward to it as it is a decent stadium and atmosphere. 1-0 defeat this time around. The previous 2 points were totally unexpected, so will not lose sleep on a defeat. Something from Northampton will be needed and then our wins will follow…
  • Options
    Congrats Sage! Looking forward to a clean sheet win tomorrow evening. COYR!
  • Options
    Congratulations to you and your family

This will be another draw I think - 2-2

Under Appleshit we wouldn’t have got anything against Bolton, Lincoln and Pompey, so (for me) that’s 3 points we wouldn’t have got
  • Options
    Congratulations @Sage and family. Wasn’t impressed by Derby the other week so we should travel hopefully. 
  • Options
    The ref being very pally with the Derby lot makes me slightly concerned. 
  • Options
    Out of Bolton, Pompey and Derby this was the one I had the most hope for picking up a point. I thought they were pretty poor at the Valley. Think they will be very solid in defence so we will do well to nick a goal can see it being a tight game