Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Northampton Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 2nd March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Northampton Town vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 2nd March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Martin Woods

Introduction
Football is known to be the beautiful game, because of how often the unexpected can happen - Tuesdays trip to Derby, was one of those fixtures that pointed everything towards the home side, we hadn't won at Pride Park since the turn of the millennium, and despite an impressive clean sheet against Portsmouth... Well lets say only the most optimistic fan would have predicted that result, especially when we went a goal down.

Confidence should now be flowing through this squad... Opponents beware

The Opposition
Name: Northampton Town (11th) | Manager: Jon Brady
Ground: Sixfields Stadium
Previous League Result: Burton 0-2 Northampton.

Naturally our run of March fixtures look more favourable towards us, however they will be a different level of difficulty compared to what we've just faced - With four games on the road, its important we truly break our poor form away from the Valley and it can start with Northampton Town tomorrow afternoon.

The Cobblers though come into this fixture themselves on a decent run of form... Its not been too long since we've faced them, so apart from the fact we've got a new Welsh Magician at the helm, there should be a degree of familiarity between the sides... They're undefeated in their last three games, picking up two wins (against Bristol Rovers and Burton Albion), whilst Jon Brady's men have turned the Sixfields into a fortress of late, they've been defeated just the once at home since the 2nd December.

I guess for Northampton fans, it will have been a pleasing return to this level of English Football, they were of course promoted from League Two at the end of last season - Finishing in 3rd spot, and the promising Jon Brady has managed to build on that with his side currently in 11th place, no risk of relegation at present it seems. On the player front and Sam Hoskins with 14-goals will be the dangerman opposing us this weekend, however Mitchell Pinnock with seven assists, and just as many goals will be another threat the watch out for.

Ultimately we owe our thanks to Northampton for removing Michael Appleton from our mist... Only fair we now take three points in return

Charlton Team News
Lets start with the simple, what do we know about this coming Saturdays squad... Well for starters; Lloyd Jones will be absent as he serves the second of his two game ban, having picked up his tenth yellow card of the season against Portsmouth - Alfie May and George Dobson will looking to avoid a similar ban, but need to get beyond the Cheltenham game without caution to achieve that.

As we know; Nathan Jones appears to favour a rotation system with his players, so we could see May and Dobson returning to the line up, with the latter completely rested against Derby - The only certain spots that appear taken are by the youngsters; Daniel Kanu and Karoy Anderson who have excelled in recent weeks - Elsewhere we could see a change at Right Wing-Back, with Tennai Watson having to be replaced in midweek because of muscle tightness, so could well be rested himself.

Isted
Ness - Thomas - Gillesphey
Edmonds-Green - Coventry - Dobson - Small
Anderson
Kanu - May

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Asiimwe - Hector - Camara - Campbell - Aneke - Ladapo

Comments

• Options
    Big test this. Can our players show the same levels of effort and defensive discipline against the "smaller" teams as they have done in the last 3 games. If they can then I think we'll be taking 3 points.
  • Options
    We have been as consistant as the least consistant thing on the planet, whatever that is!

Good litmus test as to wether the new Gaffer has got this ragtag bunch of underachievers singing from the same hymn sheet.  Waiting for confirmation that our defensive unit can refrain from their routine cockup(s) as well.

I am strangely optimistic for a clean sheet win.

0-2
  • Options
    Ive got my grapes on pre-order so we are going to win. 0-2 Aneke and May
  • Options
    edited March 1
    0-2 Charlton.
  • Options
    These next two games will be tougher then the last three .. reason simple they will play more men behind the ball which will make it much harder . Northampton must not be taken lightly their form at home has been pretty good .. it’s important we don’t slip up in this game and Tuesday and if we can come out the other side still undefeated on this run then we can be very pleased .. I can see Saturday being a draw ?
  • Options
    2-1to us. We’re going on a little run. 
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton. May and Aneke
  • Options
    The tide has turned I tell you. 

This will be an emphatic Charlton victory.

0-3 (Kanu hat-trick)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Score first for a change and we'll be ok, 0-2. 
    Almost comfortable.
  • Options
    I would take 5 points from the next 3 games; away draws and a home win against Carlisle. That would put us 4 ahead of a point per game, reckon that keeps us up come the end of the season.
  • Options
    Doubt it will be an issue, but a word of warning. We've had an awful lot of rainfall in Northamptonshire of late and plenty of places have had flooding with waterlogged conditions. Local Parkruns are regularly being cancelled.

And as I look out of my window now, as in the words of Supertramp, it's raining again.
  • Options
    Think this will be a fascinating affair and test as to whether NJ and his management team can get the squad as motivated toward 3 points in these type games as he has the better sides? Northampton are no mugs but are facing us at the wrong time, think we’ll nick this one 2-1 - I do not care who scores… Atmosphere should be amazing, cannot wait. 
  • Options
    A win would set us up nicely for the games ahead. 
  • Options
    more of the same - high intensity, low risk 'foraging' football - play off the second ball and harry for mistakes - i'd anticipate we may play dobbo and coventry with anderson in front with may and kanu up top -  would leave the back 3 and small as is and maybe ask one of camara or bakinson to fill in for watson if injured.
  • Options
    1-2.
  • Options
    Remember, this is Charlton. Don't count your chickens!
    yes, i'm under no illusions - tuesday's win was huge and it does feel like staying up will now be a formality but things don't work like that - we have to go into every game with the same underdog mentality  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I feel fairly confident, which in turn makes me feel slightly discombobulated. 

Nah forget it - we're gonna lose 2 0.
  • Options
    Their podcast guy said Marc Leonard is ‘the best player he’s ever seen playing for the Cobblers’. 
  • Options
    edited March 1
    JamesSeed said:
    Their podcast guy said Marc Leonard is ‘the best player he’s ever seen playing for the Cobblers’. 
    Must be the best player they've had since....

Errr...

Errrrmmm....
  • Options
    Ricky Holmes
  • Options

Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:

Errr...

Errrrmmm....
    Roger Braintree.
  • Options
    This fixture has a tint of the shade of after the Lord Mayor's Show. It's going to be gritty and hard fought and if we do win this I have every faith that we will have what it takes to avoid relegation this season. It will show we have not just the guile but the fire as well (which to be fair NJ has already fanned a lot). A narrow win for us, 1-2.
  • Options
    I don't think you can lump these three games together as against' lower" calibre opponents. Each presents its own challenge. I don't think Northampton will pack the defence, tho the other two might. I thought Northampton were well organised and skilful at the Valley. However if we do get into the lead into the last 10-15 mins we have showed more resilience to hold out. I'm sure there will be a  physical challenge from Shrewsbury defence that could be sustained for the whole game but Carlisle once breached could collapse. Not sure that effort alone will crack these defences (except Carlisle). For NT and C will will need some better passing football, at some point in the game.
  • Options

Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:

Errr...

Errrrmmm....
    Roger Braintree.
    You can't just make people up
  • Options
    COYR 
  • Options
    another win