Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Northampton Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 2nd March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    This coming patch of fixtures are more important to us than the last three because they are against teams where there can be some overtaking one way or another. We can still overtake Northampton this season, but today's result will have a massive bearing on how feasible that will be. Making up eight points after today looks tough but doable, making up fourteen looks to be the stuff of fantasy. 

I don't agree that these will be a tougher matches than the last three. Sure our next opponents are likely to have a strategy of getting more players behind the ball and the impetus will be on us to break them down, but let's not pretend that teams at the top don't defend either. The reason that are at the top is because they are better teams and take more of the points. So, all things being equal, these should be easier matches. That's definitely not to say that we can relax, and I'm absolutely sure Nathan won't be telling the team that we can. But we can go into this and the following games with the confidence that we have more than matched better teams. Whilst there are no guarantees on a game by game basis I will be disappointed if we cant, at least, match the five points we took in the last three games. We can win this one. Let's do it.
  • Options
    Mike said:
    timken said:
    Every Bolton,Derby,pompey fan would have 
    been saying."we should be winning this one"
    before playing us in the last 10 days
    Northampton are doing well, I'm not sire why people are saying we should be winning 
    If you want to be a winning team it starts with believing you will win…
  • Options
    Tough game this. The players need the same attitude as they showed at Bolton and Derby. Those were 2 big clubs, with Premier League standard stadiums and crowds, Northampton might be a much smaller club with a more humble (and incomplete on one side) stadium, but they are a good team who will cause us problems. 
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    It's been part of our DNA for quite some time, quite a few seasons in fact, where we have a big win then not show up against so called lesser teams (as someone said earlier, they all have unique qualities we have to overcome), but I genuinely feel that under NJ, that mentality, that monkey that's been on our back, is being removed.

He demands effort. He wants us to knock teams out. We've seen how Its aggressive, in your face football, and if the likes of Pompey and Derby can't handle it with their quality, then these most certainly won't be able to either. We also have some real quality in our squad, they just lacked confidence. 

I'm beginning to lose the fear of us falling at smaller hurdles. And I really like that feeling, because it's been a long time to have this belief, this confidence. 

0 - 4.

Kano hat-trick, REG header from a corner. 

We march on!! 
    Very much bang on here.

I imagine that win against Derby felt much like a big cup final win for our players, and it’s going to be hard to regain that mentality to go again. 

However you get the impression that Jones is the sort of manager, with his demands and personality, that won’t take a step back. 

Think it will be tough, away games inevitably are, and will be happy with a draw - but wouldn’t be shocked with another 2-1 win. 
  • Options
    Mike said:
    timken said:
    Northampton are doing well, I'm not sire why people are saying we should be winning 
    If you want to be a winning team it starts with believing you will win…

The players need to believe it and the fans will follow.
    We started with Bolton and Pompey by not being a losing team.
    The Derby away win may just be the game when the bumpy road started to be repaired.
  • Options
    HAS ANYONE GOT A SPARE TICKET FOR TODAY???
  • Options
    Well, I've got a day lined up to forget, about  kick off time, I will be under the knife of my trusted Surgeon having my left knee replacement done, which will mean me a full set...deep joy!!
    So, COYR, and win this one and give me something to smile about come 5pm eh...0-3 will do nicely...
    Over to you Ali with todays Match Thread...
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    We have a good record against Northampton away, I don't see that changing personally. 

I think Nathan Jones will install the right mentality to the players that we aren't above this fixture. 

I'll say 3-0 Charlton, May, Kanu and Ladapo with our goals. 

Safe travels everyone and hope you all have a lovely day 👍🏻
  • Options
    Confidence is high on CL.

First back2back wins and clean sheets being predicted.

Might be a reality check later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    too much optimism 

a draw if we are lucky
  • Options
    Hopefully this is my glass half empty outlook speaking here but I think this is going to be very tough. Happily take a point right now but my gut feeling is we’ll lose this 2 - 0 
  • Options
    I love football fan optimism. We just picked up our 2nd away win in 17 and first win for 3 months, albeit against a top side, but who had lost their previous game and already we are going to roll teams over.

This Northampton side made us look very average (at best) when they beat us very recently and they have continued to play well and pick up wins.

Two teams in form would suggest a good match up, so a score draw seems likely. 

2-2
  • Options
    1-1 to us .. which is ok 
  • Options
    edited March 2
    It is too early to expect the win but there does seem to be a big change. In all honesty, I wouldn't be too unhappy with a draw and a win against Carlisle. That win on Tuesday night was massive but we are still well in the proverbial and four points from the next two fixtures would be massive to help us ease out of it. As has been said, when we play the teams at the bottom, they become six pointers so it it important we at least draw in those games. Having said that, we really should be looking at the teams directly above us and reel those in.

The priority still is to avoid relegation but if we are being brave we can look at the performances as a guide to where we are in terms of next season.
  • Options
    I love football fan optimism. We just picked up our 2nd away win in 17 and first win for 3 months, albeit against a top side, but who had lost their previous game and already we are going to roll teams over.

This Northampton side made us look very average (at best) when they beat us very recently and they have continued to play well and pick up wins.

2-2
    This Northampton side made Michael Appleton’s team look very average (at best) when they beat us very recently. 
  • Options
    It is raining non stop down here in London .

Is there any danger this being called off?
  • Options

I'm local. Not much rain since yesterday morning, so I doubt it. I don't know what Sixfields is usually like, but they ought to know by now as the wet weather hasn't suddenly arrived and it's been bad here for weeks.
  • Options
    I think this is a case of just don't lose... None of us gave the boys a chance against the top 3 so gawd knows what will happen from today onwards.

The one thing I do know is that I really wouldn't want to p*ss Nathan off! 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

2-2
    This Northampton side made Michael Appleton’s team look very average (at best) when they beat us very recently. 
    And we still should have got a draw even when we was stinking the place out COYR 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All here and parked up, really looking forward to it this afternoon!
  • Options
    swordfish said:

I'm local. Not much rain since yesterday morning, so I doubt it. I don't know what Sixfields is usually like, but they ought to know by now as the wet weather hasn't suddenly arrived and it's been bad here for weeks.
    If it helps, I notice Sixfields Upton Parkrun went ahead this morning  having had to be  cancelled last week, but I'd expect to see some kicking and gouging in the mud, the blood and the beer if NJ has us set up right😉
  • Options
    Northampton were no great shakes in the home game against us and at times we were the masters of our own downfall. 0-2 May brace.
  • Options
    Amongst our many issues this season is the inability to have any form of consistency. We can barely put two good halves of football together, let alone two games in a row.

Not to be doom and gloom, but this is a big test of Jones’ impact. It’s exactly the sort of game I’d have expected to lose 6 weeks ago (and we did).

I am however optimistic we’ll be much, much better than when we last played them. I’m going for 2-1 us.
  • Options
    Love the optimism! Think it'll be a hard fought draw.
    Best of luck with the knee op Elfsborg!
  • Options
    Well, I've got a day lined up to forget, about  kick off time, I will be under the knife of my trusted Surgeon having my left knee replacement done, which will mean me a full set...deep joy!!
    So, COYR, and win this one and give me something to smile about come 5pm eh...0-3 will do nicely...
    Over to you Ali with todays Match Thread...
    Hope it all goes well for you.
  • Options

pretty cold and rotten in Nhants a t m .. light rain forecast and around 6degrees C .. need to wrap up well (as Mum used to say)
  • Options
    Love the optimism! Think it'll be a hard fought draw.
    Best of luck with the knee op Elfsborg!
    @eastterrace6168 is the knee man .. Elfsborg's heart kept the surgeons busy a good while back  :smile:
  • Options
    Mike said:
    timken said:
    Exactly, after the Lord Mayor's Show etc.
    I'd take a point 1-1.