Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan at Home - rearranged to 9th April

Comments

• Options
    So it's the Wigan callups that have led to it being postponed - I'd like to think we'd have gone ahead if only Anderson, Hector and Fiorini called up.
  • Options
    I don't expect Hector to be called up and Anderson has missed a squad or two as well so I doubt we would even have had the option
  • Options
    That's a bugger. That was my last home game of the season before going to Thailand for three and a bit weeks. Unless it's rearranged to the 23rd April, which is probably doubtful, I won't be at another game this season. 
  • Options
    Wait till next season with Sky showing more League One fixtures and the wanky kick off times/days that comes with
    https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/21564/12873679/sky-sports-agrees-new-five-year-efl-deal-over-1000-matches-per-season
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    I am back in London that weekend from Canada, first Charlton match I'll be able to get to in years - so yes it will definitely get postponed
     :| 
  • Options
    With us now only having 1 game before Easter and lots of other teams having 2 or 3 then the table might be a bit more realistic by the start of April. 
  • Options
    Hector AMB Anderson Coventry … but the game called off because of Wigan ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    Have to wonder when the EFL will put in international breaks to L1, feels unsustainable at the moment
    As much as I agree with this you can see the case for the smaller teams in the league preferring to play Saturday’s for the inevitable bigger crowd and gate receipts.
  • Options
    I'm actually quite annoyed at this.
    What's the fucking point of postponing a game that means fuck all. 
    I'm also quite annoyed. Wife's family are having a get together on that day, but I was getting out of it because of football. Now I've got no excuse to miss it, fuming!
    I feel your pain. 
    #pray for Dyer 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Wait till next season with Sky showing more League One fixtures and the wanky kick off times/days that comes with
    https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/21564/12873679/sky-sports-agrees-new-five-year-efl-deal-over-1000-matches-per-season
    This will be okay if the games are scheduled well in advance.
    It goes without saying the away supporters will be shafted.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Won't make no difference when it's announced  Blackpool v Charlton 10.30am kick off on a Saturday morning 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Won't make no difference when it's announced  Blackpool v Charlton 10.30am kick off on a Saturday morning 

100% mate, and the PROPER away geezers like you will be there in lesser numbers.
  • Options
    Great! Another pair of non refundable, bloody inflexible Advance train tickets that I have to somehow shoehorn into another journey at a financial loss
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great! Another pair of non refundable, bloody inflexible Advance train tickets that I have to somehow shoehorn into another journey at a financial loss
     I suppose the lesson here is not to buy inflexible tickets over international fixture weeks. 

It's annoying as F but we learn most from our errors.
  • Options
    Hopefully we will be in the Championship by then and it won't impact us, but wait till the 2026/27 season. Things will start to get really confusing then. The first 2 international breaks of the season are basically merging, so there will be up to 4 international games in the first break, then the standard 1 or 2 in the second. 

For teams in League One and below it will mean during the international break you may have 3 games, with 0, 1, 2 or all 3 potentially rearranged.
  • Options
    Doesn't affect me because I don't go down the Valley much these days.

However, if I did & I had to travel some distance and/or had other plans scheduled that day I'd be checking out well in advance (like months ahead) if any of our fixtures clashed with an International break. It's hardly new that games get called off in this situation so I would kindly suggest that people check the football calendar to see what else is going on. It's not like it's just been sprung upon us that players could be missing & therefore the game be postponed. 
    For a number of years now I've produced a "fixture list on a page" which I print off to put on our fridge door (so management can see when I've got a home game) and also send to my parents for them to print off. Dad may well pass that on to his brother in Australia.

I usually wait until the draws have been made for the first round of the League Cup and the group stage of the BdSM Pizza Trophy and then include the dates for all the cup (FA Cup, League Cup, Trophy) matches (not that we ever need them ourselves but may come in handy in latter stages of FA Cup to se if there's a potential postponement due to scheduled league opponent still in Cup) and also the Play Off Final date (just in case).

I also highlight which matches fall on international weekends (dates easily picked up from FA website) so that I can see where there's a possibility of a match being called off.

I don't bother re-working and re-printing the thing if matches have been postponed and re-arranged, I may scribble something on the list instead.

It's a bit of a nerdy thing for me to do but I've done it for a long time. It also meant that I knew a long time in advance that the holiday I've got coming up may not result in me missing a home game ... which would be a result.
  • Options
    Games being postponed usually pisses me right off particularly when that Swindon game wasn’t and we had to put out a weakened team but in this case I have something else I need to do so it’s done me a favour. Just don’t rearrange it for a night when I’m busy 
  • Options
    It might be quite useful for the club to highlight international breaks on the fixture list - rather than leaving it thousands of fans to have to check.

In the meantime, thanks @clive for the above.

Though as others have already said, let’s see what happens re fixture changes under the new Sky deal. I really hope they have to announce these well in advance. 
    The tv games up to the FA Cup 3rd round [first week of Jan] will be announced before the start of the season.
    https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-announces-landmark-broadcasting-deal-with-sky-sports/
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Half of the L1 games that weekend have been postponed, and not necessarily the teams you'd expect to have 3 internationals, as many will be callups for football minnow countries, where the standard is lower than L1!

Peterborough, Derby, Pompey and Barnsley are all still playing for example.
  • Options
    In case anyone didn't know club will give a full refund for anyone who bought tickets and can't go