Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan at Home - rearranged to 9th April

13»

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Great! Another pair of non refundable, bloody inflexible Advance train tickets that I have to somehow shoehorn into another journey at a financial loss
     I suppose the lesson here is not to buy inflexible tickets over international fixture weeks. 

It's annoying as F but we learn most from our errors.
    Sadly, international breaks was not uppermost in my mind when I made the bookings, trying to factor in overtime bans; strikes; SW Railways planned engineering works; if my son is free to go so I can use two together railcard; and any number of other domestic considerations.
    With @C@clive helpful list of dates I'll have to bear it in mind henceforth
  • Options
    Half of the L1 games that weekend have been postponed, and not necessarily the teams you'd expect to have 3 internationals, as many will be callups for football minnow countries, where the standard is lower than L1!

Peterborough, Derby, Pompey and Barnsley are all still playing for example.
    Interesting that 4 of the top 6 aren't calling games off.  Does that mean that get consistency by playing regularly rather than having blank weeks ?  Or not having players disappearing and maybe getting injured & missing league games ?  Or just a coincidence. 
  • Options
    Half of the L1 games that weekend have been postponed, and not necessarily the teams you'd expect to have 3 internationals, as many will be callups for football minnow countries, where the standard is lower than L1!

Peterborough, Derby, Pompey and Barnsley are all still playing for example.
    Interesting that 4 of the top 6 aren't calling games off.  Does that mean that get consistency by playing regularly rather than having blank weeks ?  Or not having players disappearing and maybe getting injured & missing league games ?  Or just a coincidence. 
    But no Charlton players are away on international duty 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Wait till next season with Sky showing more League One fixtures and the wanky kick off times/days that comes with
    https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/21564/12873679/sky-sports-agrees-new-five-year-efl-deal-over-1000-matches-per-season
    This will be okay if the games are scheduled well in advance.
    It goes without saying the away supporters will be shafted.
    Won't make no difference when it's announced  Blackpool v Charlton 10.30am kick off on a Saturday morning 
    Piece of piss, we always used to travel up on a coach overnight in the late 60s/early 70s. Remember getting to Blackpool 6/7 am one year. Game of footie in their car park behind the Kop, bit of a blank after that (maybe kipping on the coach) before heading for the Bowling Alley mid morning where the bar was open & stayed there until we headed off to the game. 

• Options
    I can understand peoples frustration to call this game off at short notice. Its not for the first time this season this has happened. Personally it benefits me as i am am on nights on the Friday and go to the game and go in on the same Saturday night 12 hours. This weekend of home games is always something that i dread.
  • Options
    I can understand peoples frustration to call this game off at short notice. Its not for the first time this season this has happened. Personally it benefits me as i am am on nights on the Friday and go to the game and go in on the same Saturday night 12 hours. This weekend of home games is always something that i dread.
    Will depend our summer dealings but I think it should be taken as given our games will be off in the international break at this point. There's not even a full round of international fixtures and only 5 League one games remain. When there was a full round earlier in the season only 2 games were on.

We currently have 8 or 9 players who could potentially get a call up if we are in form.
  • Options
    Charlton's home clash against Wigan Athletic has been rescheduled for Tuesday, April 9th (KO 7.45pm BST).
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/new-date-confirmed-wigan-clash
  • Options
    Fleetwood and Exeter away, but then 3 home games in a row in the space of 9 days with that Wigan game scheduled in.
  • Options
    edited March 15
    clive said:
    Charlton's home clash against Wigan Athletic has been rescheduled for Tuesday, April 9th (KO 7.45pm BST).
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/new-date-confirmed-wigan-clash

As the original date was a Saturday, can this game be shown on Charlton TV now it is a Tuesday 🤔
    Rearranged games in the premier on a weekend can't be shown on TV if it's not chosen originally but what is the rule in the EFL?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting to hear NJ say that he wanted the game played, even with one or two missing he would have utilised the squad, that we are in a good place and we don’t need a two week break at this stage of the season. I found that good to hear.
    I suspect we would have coped better with the absentees than Wigan would have, which is why they wanted the game rescheduled. We have plenty of midfielders and centre backs to cover Hector and Anderson.
  • Options
    follett said:
    In case anyone didn't know club will give a full refund for anyone who bought tickets and can't go
    Thanks very much for the heads-up, I didn't know the tickets are refundable but have applied as we can't make the rearranged game on Tuesday 9th. 
  • Options
    For info, next Saturday there are now THREE games left in L1, as there's been some more postponements. Derby are the only top team playing, while Burton versus Port Vale is an important relegation clash.

It's getting to the stage where scheduling L1 games during international breaks is becoming pointless, with the cosmopolitan nature of modern footballers, whether because they're from abroad, or have family from abroad.

For a long time I have thought that there should be no league fixtures played the weekend before an international midweek.