Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Carlisle United: Saturday 9th March 2024 | KO 15:00

A scrappy game at the Valley sees Charlton win 3-2 to deliver Nathan Jones his first win at home. We got off to a slow start. Twenty minutes in Carlisle found a route ahead through a set piece that was, eventually, scooped in. It was a soft goal to concede. It wasn’t until 37 minutes that Charlton found the equaliser through talisman Alfie May getting on the end of some hard work from Daniel Kanu. 

An unchanged Charlton started the second half with more vigour. Shortly after the restart, May found Kanu with a beautiful sweeping pass forward into the box.  After scuffing his first effort, the hard-working Kanu was able to finish on the second. Unfortunately, the lead was short lived when Carlisle’s Armstrong tucked away a penalty gifted through a bit of carelessness from Gillesphey, even though it was soft. Nonetheless, there was a final twist when former Addick Sam Lavelle made an error going back to his keeper that let May nip in and slot past the keeper for the winner. 

It wasn’t a classic, but we did have seventeen shots, showing our willingness to have a pop, with seven of them on target. New signing Conor Wickham made his debut to good effect, providing a bit of size and muscle to see out the win. And Alfie May bagged two to keep up his goal-scoring momentum.

Charlton 3 Carlisle 2

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Bring back Holden, he was such a nice man.
    Or Appleton who played good honest football! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    10 point cushion which, given our goal difference is 4 wins. Can they make up 4 wins in the 10 games they have left? 

I think and hope not. That said we need to win a few more to keep up the momentum.
    You can't relax yet, Len.

This is Charlton, remember?  :#:smile:

• Options
    At least now for Dobson he can stop worrying about yellow cards, unless he gets another 6 before end of season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dobson was brilliant today- great performance alongside Coventry.
    He'll not go to Hungary.
    You heard it here first! 
  • Options
    JUST WIN GAMES………,oh wait!
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    According to Louis Mendez, Henderson has not been involved in warm ups, because he is injured (Charltonised)
    Henderson the goalkeeping coach?!?!

How...how?

Honestly it's kind of what he was like as a player. Had a dodgy shoulder(s). I think we built like a soft landing area on the training ground so he didn't have to fall on the shoulder as much (I mean it's probably a good idea in general). 
  • Options
    He'll not go to Hungary.
    I think you might be right. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:
    10 point cushion which, given our goal difference is 4 wins. Can they make up 4 wins in the 10 games they have left? 

I think and hope not. That said we need to win a few more to keep up the momentum.
    You can't relax yet, Len.

This is Charlton, remember?  :#:smile:

I know Oggy! Just trying to be a little bit optimistic!
  • Options
    He'll not go to Hungary.
    You heard it here first! 
    Has he actually signed with the other team ?
  • Options
    A game that illustrates our whole season. Stats show only 6 teams have scored more goals but only 2 have conceded more - one of whom we played today. Defence just not good enough yet to challenge next season but still going in right direction. 
  • Options
    After 30 mins at 1-0 down with other scores going against us it was starting to look rather dodgy again. 

But at FT, with most teams around or below us not winning I felt relief again.

Not 100% safe but do I think we'll go down.....not a cat in hells chance. Probably only need another 4 points but I think we'll get 52-54. 

And I think we'll seal safety in one of our home games in early April. And I might actually be at one of them 😄.
    Whereabouts will you be sitting?