Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton squad out of contract for next season - who to keep?

Comments

• Options

Isted Stay

AMB go 

Ward go 

Jones Stay 

Hector go 

Thomas Stay 

Ness go

Edun Stay

T Watson Stay

Mitchell go 

Small Stay

Gillespie Stay

Chin go 

Green Stay

Asiimwe Loan 

Ramsey Stay 

Dobson go 

Fraser like him to stay think he would fit into Jones style of play 

Payne go 

DJ    go

Camara return 

Taylor Stay

Henry go 

McGrandles go 

Campbell go 

Watson return 

Bakinson return ( make offer )

Anderson stay 

Coventry stay 

Fiorini return 

LuaLua ( 50/50 ) 

May Stay

Leaburn stay 

Wickham (50/50)

Ladapo return 

Aneke (50/50) 

Kanu stay 

Casey loan

Sorry what?

Why would you get rid of one of our brightest young defenders who only just turned 19 and is under contract until 2025?
    Because he not done it at Colchester .. and won’t feature next season for us then if you are planning to be in the championship year after .. Mitchell won’t be anywhere near championship standard .. so let him go now and build his career , have a first refusal and big sell on 
    He's just turned 19 and he's playing in a terrible side. How can you write him off already?

It's like Spurs saying let's release Harry Kane because he didn't do much on loan at Leicester in the championship.
    His contract expires in 2025, so we can't let him go.
  • Options
    Thierry Small - Keep IMMEDIATELY
    Tyreeq Bakinson - Let go 
    Connor Wickham - probably let go unless pay as you play, trust Jones on this one.
    Michael Hector - Let go far to error prone and people forget he was our most experienced CB
    Panutche Camara - Looked incredible first appearance but not done much since let go
    Terell Thomas - Keep i think he is underrated by a large portion of our fanbase
    Lewis Ward - no strong opinion, i know we have a young GK from Chelsea so may be better exposing him to First team but as said not an isssue either way
    Lucas Ness - Keep i think there is a player there but has been put in to a relatively poor defence, needs to play with an organised defence. Last season he was the mature head alongside Inniss so was always in trouble.
    George Dobson - Academic, short if the Hungarians voiding his contract through financial mismanagement or incompetence he is GONE.
    Jack Payne - Honestly let go but i wouldnalways welcome him back with other teams, his desire and work rate cant be question just purely his ability to play for a top end league 1 team.
    Diallang Jaiyesimi - forgot he existed tbh LET GO
    Richard Chin - KEEP one more season with exposure to first team with understanding it sink or swim time
  • Options
    DJ one goal and  one sending off in his current loan spell so that’s not going well either. For me DJ and Payne in particular should never be near a Charlton team again.
  • Options
    Thierry Small - Keep 
    Tyreeq Bakinson - Let go 
    Connor Wickham - Let go
    Michael Hector - Let go
    Panutche Camara - Let go 
    Terell Thomas - Keep if we are planning to play 352.
    Lewis Ward - Let go
    Lucas Ness - Let go.  Not quick, not good in the air.  
    George Dobson - Keep if possibly
    Jack Payne - Let go
    Diallang Jaiyesimi - Let go
    Richard Chin - Let go.

Tyreece Campbell- Keep

Also let go:

AMB, Edun, McGrandles, Aneke, Taylor, Fraser.

To keep (in addition to above)

Isted (back-up)
    Watson 
    Asiimwe
    Jones
    Mitchell
    Ramsay
    REG
    Coventry
    Anderson
    May
    Kanu
    Leaburn.

We need a left back, 2 centre halves, 2 central midfielders, maybe 3, 2 strikers if the plan is to play 352. 

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Thierry Small - Keep 
    Tyreeq Bakinson - Let go 
    Connor Wickham - Let go
    Michael Hector - Let go
    Panutche Camara - Let go 
    Terell Thomas - Keep if we are planning to play 352.
    Lewis Ward - Let go
    Lucas Ness - Let go.  Not quick, not good in the air.  
    George Dobson - Keep if possibly
    Jack Payne - Let go
    Diallang Jaiyesimi - Let go
    Richard Chin - Let go.

Tyreece Campbell- Keep

Also let go:

AMB, Edun, McGrandles, Aneke, Taylor, Fraser.

To keep (in addition to above)

Isted (back-up)
    Watson 
    Asiimwe
    Jones
    Mitchell
    Ramsay
    REG
    Coventry
    Anderson
    May
    Kanu
    Leaburn.

We need a left back, 2 centre halves, 2 central midfielders, maybe 3, 2 strikers if the plan is to play 352. 

no point to letting Aneke go, we would have to pay him anyway, may aswell pay him and let him play his 90mins over the course of the season
  • Options
    DJ one goal and  one sending off in his current loan spell so that’s not going well either. For me DJ and Payne in particular should never be near a Charlton team again.
    Tad harsh on Payne, he just isnt good enough at this level over the course of a season. always showed lots of effort and ad some good moments.
  • Options
    Thierry Small, - KEEP
    Tyreeq Bakinson (his Wednesday contract expires this summer),  Bye Bye
    Connor Wickham, - TBD
    Michael Hector, - BYE BYE
    Panutche Camara (his Ipswich contract expires this summer), BYE BYE
    Terell Thomas, KEEP
    Lewis Ward, BYE BYE
    Lucas Ness, - KEEP
    George Dobson, - KEEP if we can
    Jack Payne, - BYE BYE
    Diallang Jaiyesimi, - BYE BYE
    Richard Chin. - BYE BYE - i like Richard a lot, but i think NL is actually his level right now.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Mitchell go 

I keep telling myself not to bite at the things you say.  "Surely he can't actually believe the shit he spouts" is my internal monologue

And then I read you think we should get rid of Zach Mitchell....and it all becomes apparent...you clearly are not wired up right!

Mitchell was one of their best players earlier in the season but, unsurprisingly, after 3 different managers in the season scraping at the bottom of League 2 survival is not proving to be a great place for a 19 year old making his way in the game.

That boy is a superb footballer and, provided this season hasn't adversely affected his confidence too much, will be in and around the first team with us next season.

Whereas you Ronnie, you're just a buffoon now and I dare say you will remain to be so next season!
    Great post, Swis ! 

Echo my thoughts completely. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Thierry Small, Keep
    Tyreeq Bakinson (his Wednesday contract expires this summer), Keep
    Connor Wickham, 
    Michael Hector,
    Panutche Camara (his Ipswich contract expires this summer), 
    Terell Thomas, Keep
    Lewis Ward, 
    Lucas Ness,
    George Dobson, Keep
    Jack Payne, 
    Diallang Jaiyesimi,
    Richard Chin. 
    How can we keep Dobson when he's already gone, having signed a pre-contract contract?  We'd have to buy him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Thierry Small, Keep
    Tyreeq Bakinson (his Wednesday contract expires this summer), Keep
    Connor Wickham, 
    Michael Hector,
    Panutche Camara (his Ipswich contract expires this summer), 
    Terell Thomas, Keep
    Lewis Ward, 
    Lucas Ness,
    George Dobson, Keep
    Jack Payne, 
    Diallang Jaiyesimi,
    Richard Chin. 
    How can we keep Dobson when he's already gone, having signed a pre-contract contract?  We'd have to buy him.
    We cant, unless some how the hungarians void their commitment through incompetence or financial issues, he will be there player.
  • Options
    Keep TT as a solid backup. Conor Wickham not enough game time yet to decide.
    Ness, just see if he develops under a better squad environment , and Thierry small on the longest deal he’ll sign.
  • Options
    Small and Dobson. Ness or Thomas possibly but only as back up. Depends how Wickham and Lua Lua perform, same with camara but he's running out of time after a year of injuries. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Small and Dobson. Ness or Thomas possibly but only as back up. Depends how Wickham and Lua Lua perform, same with camara but he's running out of time after a year of injuries. 
    2 years now.

We shouldn't be considering any offer to Camara IMHO.
    I’d say the same for Wickham - too much of a risk with Leaburn and Aneke the alternatives. One of our top priorities in the summer should be a physical striker with a good fitness record.
    agreed - i'd say its the top priority
  • Options
    Small and TT.
  • Options
    My view on this depends on who is available to come in and replace any player. For example although a window later, I would accept that Edmunds Green is an upgrade for Sean Clare as a versatile defender / defensive midfield option.

Clearly Small needs to be signed, potentially beyond the one year extension trigger. Like others I would keep Thomas. Unlike some I would also extend Hector's contract. I find it interesting that our defensive problems got worse after his injury. I think he would benefit from Jones.

I see Lua Lua , Wickham , Camara , Bakinson and Ladapo as all being effectively on trial and I will only give a view at the end of the season. 

I think Ness should be allowed to move on and Fiorini and Louie Watson return to their parent clubs. I find it interesting that although he impressed many on here ( including me ) three managers have not played Louie.
  • Options
    Just been watching Mansfield vs Colchester. The Colchester goalie Owen Goodman was immense. Don’t know if he’s like that every week but was very impressed 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thierry Small, definitely keep (if he wants to stay)
    Tyreeq Bakinson keep
    Connor Wickham, depends on the Chuks situation 
    Michael Hector, keep
    Panutche Camara  let go
    Terell Thomas, keep
    Lewis Ward, let go
    Lucas Ness keep
    George Dobson, keep (depends on the 'Hungary pre contract') 
    Jack Payne, let go
    Diallang Jaiyesimi,let go
    Richard Chin. let go
  • Options
    Just been watching Mansfield vs Colchester. The Colchester goalie Owen Goodman was immense. Don’t know if he’s like that every week but was very impressed 
    I wonder what it would take to sign Viktor Johansson from Rotherham.

I'm guessing he'll end up somewhere like Sheffield United.

• Options
    It is interesting.

But of the guys who started on Monday, only Hector, Thomas and Dobson are out of contract at the end of this season. Dobson is presumably gone but you couldn't fault his effort on Monday and Thomas and Hector didn't look to me as if they had been told they wouldn't be offered a contract. So the only one who presumably knows he wont be here next year was Ladapo. And his performance may well have reflected that.

So its a bit hard to pin that awful display on players not caring because they know they won't be here next year.

• Options
    Keep Hector, Small and Bakinson. Thomas at a push as versatile.
  • Options
    Probably explains why Anderson has played so much while we haven’t see Camara, Fiorini, L Watson etc at all - Jones already knows we won’t sign any of them permanently.
  • Options
    It is interesting.

But of the guys who started on Monday, only Hector, Thomas and Dobson are out of contract at the end of this season. Dobson is presumably gone but you couldn't fault his effort on Monday and Thomas and Hector didn't look to me as if they had been told they wouldn't be offered a contract. So the only one who presumably knows he wont be here next year was Ladapo. And his performance may well have reflected that.

So its a bit hard to pin that awful display on players not caring because they know they won't be here next year.

Pretty certain either Hector or Thomas said recently that conversations with players about next season haven't started yet which wouldn't surprise me. Jones is probably putting feelers out before deciding who he wants around
  • Options
    I don't want to be keeping players on the basis we might not do better.  We need to do better.

You improve your first team and let the ones still here compete for a place or provide back up.

Looking at centre back, REG, Jones and Gillesphey are going nowhere, so we need to let at least two of Thomas, Ness and Hector go,  if Jones is planning to stick with 3 at the back we need to at least sign two centre backs and they should be first choices.  Hector isn't going to want to be 5th, 6th choice, and he'll be too expensive for that, so let him go.  Maybe Thomas is a versatile option for that 5th choice spot so there's some merit in the argument to keep him, especially if it lets us loan Mitchell again so he gets a good amount of games.