Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton squad out of contract for next season - who to keep?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Not surprised Chin is going , will probably get a NL/NLS deal quite comfortably. Williams was very highly rated but seems to just be constantly injured. 
  • Options
    edited April 28
    Scoham said:
    I saw enough in Fiorini at Wycombe to give him a deal. Won’t cost much given his lack of games over the last two seasons. Highly thought of at Man City and has a point to prove. 
    We don’t really need squad player signings though, we’ve got a lot of players under contract so the priority will surely be players who we expect to be starters.
    I’m not convinced that given a good pre season and luck with injuries he wouldn’t be very much not considered to be a starter. 
  • Options
    edited April 28
    Scoham said:
    I saw enough in Fiorini at Wycombe to give him a deal. Won’t cost much given his lack of games over the last two seasons. Highly thought of at Man City and has a point to prove. 
    We don’t really need squad player signings though, we’ve got a lot of players under contract so the priority will surely be players who we expect to be starters.
    Agree. People have mentioned recently keeping the likes of Terrell Thomas as he would be a good peripheral squad player. But for me, that's just not good enough.
    EVERY player in the first team squad should have enough quality to compete and hold down a first team berth. Not just a mediocre stop gap to fill in when the first choice can't play. And that's where I see the likes of Thomas.
    So if this mob are truly serious, then players of Terrell Thomas's ilk should be avoided in harsh reality.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Thierry Small Keep
    Tyreeq Bakinson Release 
    Connor Wickham Release - undoubted capability riddled by injury 
    Michael Hector Release - cannot trust his performance levels will not drop off should he sign a contract 
    Panutche Camara Release 
    Terell Thomas Release 
    Lewis Ward Keep as 3rd
    Lucas Ness Kept

George Dobson Sadly gone 
    Jack Payne Release 
    Diallang Jaiyesimi Release 
    Richard Chin Release 
    Scott Fraser Release/Sell
    Harry Isted Release/Sell
    Tennai Watson Release/Sell
    Louis Watson Release
    Fiorini (don’t know his first name 🤣) Release
    Ladapo Release
    LuaLua Release 
    Terry Taylor Release/Sell (clearly NJ does not fancy him)
    Tayo Edun Release/Sell
    McLovehandles Release/Sell

We are going to have a proper clear out 19 to leave, 10-11 signed and the squad trimmed as NJ wants. 

So, I think we will have:

AMB 2nd choice 
    Ward 3rd choice 

Ramsay
    Asiimwe
    Small
    REG
    Ness
    Jones
    Gillesphy 

Coventry
    Anderson
    T Campbell 

May
    Kanu
    Leaburn 
    Aneke

I reckon 1x GK, 2 x CB, 1 x LB or LWB, 3 x CM/CDM, 2 x CAMs, 1 x Winger (who can play both sides) and 1 x STR - proper focus on quality… 🙏🙏🙏
    Seeing those names in bold really hammers home that we need the rebuild of all rebuilds to anywhere near challenging.
    Agreed. Of those still in bold, I've not seen anything to convince me that Asiimwe, Ness, Gillesphey, Coventry, Anderson, Campbell or AMB can maintain consistent positive impact across a 46 game season. I'm even in 2 minds about L Jones and Chuks. So if Jones sells them, fine with that call. 
    Most are OK, but unless Jones can get a better tune out of these 'ok' players, there's not enough match-winners or clean sheet keepers, just a bunch of 'ok'. 

Of the out of contract players, Small and Wickham (Dobbo aside) are the only ones I'd keep.
  • Options
    Jones to speak to the out of contract players by mid week. Hopefully that means the club will publish the released and retained list by the end of week.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/charlton-athletic-players-set-to-learn-fate-this-week-manager-nathan-jones/
  • Options
    I wonder if any players find themselves being told they are not wanted when they assume they are?

Given the season as a whole no one should be that assured but I do wonder if any are under a false assumption. 
  • Options
    I wonder if any players find themselves being told they are not wanted when they assume they are?

Given the season as a whole no one should be that assured but I do wonder if any are under a false assumption. 
    I don’t think any such assumptions are being made tbh. I don’t want to share who, but know players who want to stay, are under contract for one or more years still, but they are not sure what will happen and are hoping for the best come Wednesday. 

I think there will be an initial release list, but also expect one or two sales. NJ is not a man who wants to f**k around and nor do the owners imho. If this is to be the moment, tough decisions before right decisions need to be made. 
  • Options

I don’t think any such assumptions are being made tbh. I don’t want to share who, but know players who want to stay, are under contract for one or more years still, but they are not sure what will happen and are hoping for the best come Wednesday. 

I think there will be an initial release list, but also expect one or two sales. NJ is not a man who wants to f**k around and nor do the owners imho. If this is to be the moment, tough decisions before right decisions need to be made. 
    Thanks. I guess it’s good overall that players feel they need to prove themselves to NJ and no one can coast. I sense (but don’t know) in previous years sone have sat tight with no threat. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Plus there will be out of contract players offered a deal on Wednesday who might turn it down, it's not a one way process. 

The difficulty will be with players who are still under contract for next season, but NJ doesn't want. Can we get rid of Scott Fraser for example without having to subsidise a loan move?
  • Options

Plus there will be out of contract players offered a deal on Wednesday who might turn it down, it's not a one way process. 

The difficulty will be with players who are still under contract for next season, but NJ doesn't want. Can we get rid of Scott Fraser for example without having to subsidise a loan move?
    Just get him to run 10k every day for the first 2 weeks of preseason and the pasty Sweaty will be begging to be released 
  • Options
    edited April 30
    Its easy, lay out 40 or so chairs (one for each player we have in the squad) play music then gradually reduce the number of chairs until we have just three groups of 8 chair's (gradually lifting them higher to take it more tricky for the more unfit/lazy ones (giving Alfie a stool first) turn off the music and let them fight it out. A few will fall over, more will forget what they are trying to do, some will miss. The last 24 sitting down is your squad. Bingo!! (or that game could be an alternative method).
  • Options
    Was told many of the victorious U21 team are being released, mainly the older ones who have yet to break through ie Bakrin, Santos.

Always a shame to see young players go but hopefully all can have decent careers at a lower or even the same level.

Good luck, lads.
    Santos will be an interesting one. Whenever I've seen him he's always looked technically decent, and is a good free kick taker. At the moment though looks a long way off in terms of strength and physicality. 

Could be really beneficial for him to have a couple of years in the National League North/South playing regularly.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Its easy, lay out 40 or so chairs (one for each player we have in the squad) play music then gradually reduce the number of chairs until we have just three groups of 8 chair's (gradually lifting them higher to take it more tricky for the more unfit/lazy ones (giving Alfie a stool first) turn off the music and let them fight it out. A few will fall over, more will forget what they are trying to do, some will miss. The last 24 sitting down is your squad. Bingo!! (or that game could be an alternative method).
    Is that not how our squad has been picked for the last few seasons?

Feels like it.
  • Options
    Was told many of the victorious U21 team are being released, mainly the older ones who have yet to break through ie Bakrin, Santos.

Always a shame to see young players go but hopefully all can have decent careers at a lower or even the same level.

Good luck, lads.

Doesn't surprise me, Santos, Bakrin, Chin, Williams, Toure and the like would have had more chances with us if we thought they had a chance. 

Always sad when a kid is moved on and I hope those that do get good gigs elsewhere.  Felt we were a bit top heavy in that department this year.  I wonder if Ladapo and Adigun are offered anything.

Means there will be space in the U21s for the graduating U18s, for first teamers coming back from injury and maybe for 1 or 2 Jamaican/Vietnamese punts given our owners and tie ups...
  • Options
    The number we bring in will be in direct relation to the number we can move on.  Too many who are not good enough are under contract for next season.  We cannot expect and it's not financially viable to run a first team squad of 30-plus players. Edun, Gillesphey, Lloyd Jones, Ness, AMB, Isted, Fraser, Taylor, and McGrandles are all surplus to requirements IMO. I also see no place for LuaLua or Bakinson in the squad, and other loan players - Fiorini, Watson (L), Ladapo, and Camara can all go back as far as I'm concerned.

Only once we have got rid of these can we bring in better players and make judgements on Wickham, Campbell (T), Hector, and any others that are out of contract - Thomas, Ward, Jaiyesimi, Payne, Chin.

If we have a mega summer, then all the above will disappear into The Valliant 1000 and never be seen again, and we can finally shed the anchor weight of their contracts and start to get better once more.
  • Options
    Hope Adigun isn't one of the U21s that's been released , think there's something there with him that's worth persevering with , at least worth a 1yr extension to see if he can break through. Sounds like he impressed at Welling. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thierry Small, Keep
    Tyreeq Bakinson Get rid
    Connor Wickham, Get rid
    Michael Hector, 50/50 on this really think he is a good player but can also be shocking at times
    Panutche Camara get rid
    Terell Thomas,  get rid
    Lewis Ward,  dunno prob get rid, surely if Jones thought he was any good he would have given him a game at the end of the season
    Lucas Ness, dunno
    George Dobson, Keep if can
    Jack Payne,  get rid
    Diallang Jaiyesimi, get rid
    Richard Chin. get rid
  • Options
    edited April 30
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    Bakinson is an odd one, he doesn’t seem to do anything wrong, but not especially affect games either.
    I wouldn’t sign him ahead of leaving a space for a youngster to come through.
    He’s scored, and he gets into scoring positions in every game. And that with not playing many minutes. 
    His goal was a good one, but he lifts the ball over the bar all too often to be seen as a goalscoring midfielder. 

I actually think he's better as a box to box player than any other CM player we have bar Dobson. 
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    Thierry Small, Keep
    Tyreeq Bakinson Get rid
    Connor Wickham, Get rid
    Michael Hector, 50/50 on this really think he is a good player but can also be shocking at times
    Panutche Camara get rid
    Terell Thomas,  get rid
    Lewis Ward,  dunno prob get rid, surely if Jones thought he was any good he would have given him a game at the end of the season
    Lucas Ness, dunno
    George Dobson, Keep if can
    Jack Payne,  get rid
    Diallang Jaiyesimi, get rid
    Richard Chin. get rid
    Only difference to you is Keep Ness and Hector.

Ness has shown he has quality and has also shown he can be quite raw. That's league 1 players though and for the cost of him I don't think we'll get better value. 

Hector well, once he got going he's been mostly solid, with a GK behind him that gives him more confidence I am certain he'll look even better. 
  • Options
    I think Hector needs a bit of quality around him, rather than Hector doing all of the running around to make up for the deficiencies of other players.

If NJ gets a competent goalkeeper who commands his area, and another quality central defender, then I believe Hector will be a stand out player.