Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton squad out of contract for next season - who to keep?

Comments

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    I would like in an ideal world.

Thierry Small,               Keep 
    Tyreeq Bakinson                                  unsure          
    Connor Wickham,        Keep (if fit)
    Michael Hector,            Keep
    Panutche Camara        Keep (if fit)
    Terell Thomas,             Keep      
    Lewis Ward,                                                          Release/sell
    Lucas Ness,                 Keep
    George Dobson,          Keep (if at all Poss)   
    Jack Payne,                                                          Release/sell
    Diallang Jaiyesimi,                                                Release/sell
    Richard Chin.                                                        Release/sell
    Connor McGrandles                                              Release/sell
    Aaron Henry                                                          Release/sell
    Scott Fraser                                      Unsure
    Zach Mitchell               Keep
    A M-B                                                                     Release/sell
    Harry Isted                  Keep
    Lloyd Jones                                        Unsure
    Tayo Edun                                                              Release/sell
    Tennai Watson                                                        Release/sell
    MacCauley Gillesphey  Keep
    Nathan Asiimwe                                                      Release/sell
    Rarmani Edmunds-Green   Keep
    Kayne Ramsey              Keep
    Terry Taylor                                          Unsure
    Tyreece Campbell         Keep
    Karoy Anderson            Keep
    Connor Coventry           Keep
    Kazenga LuaLua           Keep
    Alfie May                       Keep 
    Miles Leaburn               Keep (if we can)
    Chuks Aneke                Keep
    Daniel Kanu                  Keep (if we can)

20 (or 17)                  3                 10
    Loaners    (release all (except Camara if pos)
    Freddie Ladapo             
    Lewis Fiorini
    Louie Watson
    Panutche Camara

Shopping list Keeper/ Central Mid (replace Dobbo) / Striker(s) if we need to replace Kanu or Leaburn / Winger.

Squad about 25.

Look at that list- now guess what the wage bill is? We have very generous owners. 

Lincoln will make the play-offs and my is bet they will get promoted- on a fraction of the wage bill maybe 25%

• Options
    Is Taylor fully match fit ? I’m guessing he’s not being rushed into contention because we don’t need to do that. A fit ending to the season and a full pre season and perhaps we’ll see what all the fuss was when we signed him. 
    I wish Terry, Louis or Richard C would ask about Taylor and his match availability, I know Nathan doesn't like to give much away but that's no reason not to ask those type of questions and I don't remember anyone asking about him for ages.
  • Options
    edited April 5
    sam3110 said:
    How do we know he's even fit? He hasn't played a reserve/unders match for a while.

Henners said he's too similar to Coventry, but we don't actually know that, because not only have they never played together, we've barely seen Taylor at all, full stop.

Remember when Dobson looked unremarkable I'm his first half a dozen games here and was dropped for a bit? 

300 minutes of football, at a new club, under 2 managers (and a caretaker) isn't enough to go on IMO 
    Agree, and to add to that with the size of our squad and without an injury crisis there isn’t room for everyone to make the matchday squad. 
    That doesn’t mean Taylor won’t prove his fitness and start being involved next season. We’re set to lose a lot of CMs in the summer with loans returning and players like Fraser likely to be moved on and not involved.
  • Options
    I don't see our owners wanting to fund an HMS P*** the League squad for next season and PSR rules wouldn't allow that now anyway. I think the goal will be to firmly target a play-off place.

With the 8x8x8 model, I'd like to think they wouldn't count any academy graduates in the top 8.

If so, who of our current players would make the top 8? I'd also like to see most or all of that 8 being the spine of the team. So who've we got......... Isted, one of Jones or Hector, Coventry and May? That leaves 4 to get........ 2 strong centre backs, a creative midfielder and someone to play upfront alongside May. For me there isn't anyone who's currently on loan with us or on loan from us who would be good enough to fill any of these 4 slots.

Who would be in the next 8? Edmonds-Green, Small, Ramsay, Anderson and Leaburn. That leaves 3 places...... an box to box midfielder, another creative midfielder and a good winger. If Dobson isn't the box-to-box midfielder then that's another new player...... that's 5 so far. Fraser could be the second string creative midfielder but I'm really not sure Campbell is the solution to the winger slot....... so that's up to 6 new ones now.

And for the other 8? Asiimwe, Taylor (although we've no real idea about him), Kanu and Aneke (in this 8 purely because of his low availability), so we have 4 slots here. For current players and those out on loan who might be worthy we have AMB, Ness, T Watson, Mitchell, Edun, Gillesphey and Henry on our books and Bakinson who I think is worth putting in the mix. Out of those who's L1 play-off squad standard? I'd keep Edun for left-sided defence and midfield, I rate Bakinson as good enough and Ness or Mitchell. That leaves 1 newbie slot, which I'd fill with a midfielder, giving 7 new ones in total.

Who've we got then:-

Goalkeepers...... Isted and perhaps AMB if he's not worth cashing in. Plus Ward who I'm not counting in the 8x8x8...... just because I say so  :)

Defence: Jones or Hector, Edmonds-Green, Small, Ramsay, Asiimwe, Edun, Ness or Mitchell plus 2 new (top 8) centre backs.

Midfield: Coventry, Anderson, Fraser, Bakinson, a new top 8 creative midfielder, a new top 8 box-to-box midfielder or Dobson if he can play that position and a lower 8 midfielder........ is there one in the academy?

Upfront: May, a top 8 striker, Leaburn, a middle 8 winger, Kanu and Aneke. 

That's it......... Nathan Jones and Andy Scott, you're welcome and I'm available for drinks after the Cambridge game  :D
  • Options
    edited April 5
    Leuth said:
    Bakinson has had some truly abysmal games when starting. He's a disruptor - yes, a Pratley - but if you want to control a game and dominate the opposition he'll be busy giving them the ball
    Has he? Truly abysmal? One or two where he didn't get involved enough, but you need to keep phrases like truly abysmal for performances that are...truly abysmal, like poor old Karoy when he kept giving the ball away and got subbed at half time. (Not writing Karoy off btw, but he's very young, and needs to be eased in, rather than played every week).
    I'd keep Bakinson, not necessarily as a starter, but he's a bit of a Pratley type, and gets forward into scoring positions, and makes things happen. He a;sp over 6ft tall which is useful. He wins quite a few headers in midfield.
    Although I'd review my opinion if his performances are dodgy towards the end of the season of course.
  • Options
    Is Taylor fully match fit ? I’m guessing he’s not being rushed into contention because we don’t need to do that. A fit ending to the season and a full pre season and perhaps we’ll see what all the fuss was when we signed him. 
    I wish Terry, Louis or Richard C would ask about Taylor and his match availability, I know Nathan doesn't like to give much away but that's no reason not to ask those type of questions and I don't remember anyone asking about him for ages.
    The availability question for Taylor, Jones and Wickham was put to Hart in Jones' absence.
    His reply was they may be fit.
  • Options
    Just been watching Mansfield vs Colchester. The Colchester goalie Owen Goodman was immense. Don’t know if he’s like that every week but was very impressed 
    Goodman is another Harold Wood/Hill boy .. problem is he is on loan to Colchester from Palace
  • Options
    If Isted is in the elite 8 we are mid table at best already next season.  The only player we have in the elite 8 is May.  Coventry, Small, Leaburn maybe but not yet proven it.  That's it.
  • Options
    Hales, Flash, Peacock, Powell

Oh sorry - wrong era 
  • Options
    The naivety of putting up that 8-8-8 slide 🙄 Did they not stop to think fans would take it at face value and look at new signings  figuring out where they fitted in. I'd ignore it and hope they do. Just buy what's needed and better than what we have now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The availability question for Taylor, Jones and Wickham was put to Hart in Jones' absence.
    His reply was they may be fit.
    Oh ok, I didn't catch that, thanks. Guess Taylor got injured again or had a recurrence as he played one more more U21 games a while ago. It would be good to see him play some before the season's out.
  • Options
    VThierry Small,   KEEP
    Tyreeq Bakinson (his Wednesday contract. OUT expires this summer), 
    Connor Wickham,  KEEP
    Michael Hector,      NOT SURE
    Panutche Camara (his Ipswich contract expires this summer), OUT
    Terell Thomas, OUT
    Lewis Ward, OUT
    Lucas Ness,  OUT
    George Dobson, KEEP 
    Jack Payne, OUT
    Diallang Jaiyesimi,OUT
    Richard Chin.OUT
  • Options
    Thierry Small,   KEEP
    Tyreeq Bakinson OUT 
    Connor Wickham NOT SURE TRUST JONES
    Michael Hector OUT
    Panutche Camara OUT
    Terell Thomas, KEEP
    Lewis Ward, Not fussed
    Lucas Ness,  KEEP BEEN EXTENDED ANYWAY
    George Dobson, IRRELEVANT HE HAS GONE
    Jack Payne, OUT (With a thank you, he always tried his best which more than can be said for some but he just isnt good enough)
    Diallang Jaiyesimi, OUT
    Richard Chin KEEP one more season
  • Options
    I'd take what NJ said about no room for sentimentality and how there's been harsh discussions about it with the players, and then look at the past couple of games, and add them together to see that Thomas, Hector, Bakinson, Camara and Lua Lua definitely aren't here next season.

Wickham is a medical room stalwart, and can we realistically spend 2 players worth wages on him and Aneke to then be available for half a player's worth in total? I don't think so.

Payne, DJ and Chin will be gone, Dobbo's already gone and Ness is signed on but if we're to do well next season he has to hardly feature.

Only one I'd keep is Small. 

• Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    So for me after watching for the last few weeks, I'd let everyone go that's out of contract barring Small and Dobson. The rest can get in the bin 
    Same for me.
  • Options
    Yep keep Small, consider whether buying Dobbo back is worth it, bin the rest. 
  • Options
    edited April 27
    CAFCDAZ said:
    So for me after watching for the last few weeks, I'd let everyone go that's out of contract barring Small and Dobson. The rest can get in the bin 
    We need to be realistic though. Yes we need a massive turnover of players with, imho six or seven first team ready acquisitions but there has to be some of the current squad retained. It’s why I don’t think it’s feasible to make the squad changes required in one window.
  • Options
    Thierry Small Keep
    Tyreeq Bakinson Release 
    Connor Wickham Release - undoubted capability riddled by injury 
    Michael Hector Release - cannot trust his performance levels will not drop off should he sign a contract 
    Panutche Camara Release 
    Terell Thomas Release 
    Lewis Ward Keep as 3rd
    Lucas Ness Kept

George Dobson Sadly gone 
    Jack Payne Release 
    Diallang Jaiyesimi Release 
    Richard Chin Release 
    Scott Fraser Release/Sell
    Harry Isted Release/Sell
    Tennai Watson Release/Sell
    Louis Watson Release
    Fiorini (don’t know his first name 🤣) Release
    Ladapo Release
    LuaLua Release 
    Terry Taylor Release/Sell (clearly NJ does not fancy him)
    Tayo Edun Release/Sell
    McLovehandles Release/Sell

We are going to have a proper clear out 19 to leave, 10-11 signed and the squad trimmed as NJ wants. 

So, I think we will have:

AMB 2nd choice 
    Ward 3rd choice 

Ramsay
    Asiimwe
    Small
    REG
    Ness
    Jones
    Gillesphy 

Coventry
    Anderson
    T Campbell 

May
    Kanu
    Leaburn 
    Aneke

I reckon 1x GK, 2 x CB, 1 x LB or LWB, 3 x CM/CDM, 2 x CAMs, 1 x Winger (who can play both sides) and 1 x STR - proper focus on quality… 🙏🙏🙏
  • Options
    Thierry Small Keep
    Tyreeq Bakinson Release 
    Connor Wickham Release - undoubted capability riddled by injury 
    Michael Hector Release - cannot trust his performance levels will not drop off should he sign a contract 
    Panutche Camara Release 
    Terell Thomas Release 
    Lewis Ward Keep as 3rd
    Lucas Ness Kept

George Dobson Sadly gone 
    Jack Payne Release 
    Diallang Jaiyesimi Release 
    Richard Chin Release 
    Scott Fraser Release/Sell
    Harry Isted Release/Sell
    Tennai Watson Release/Sell
    Louis Watson Release
    Fiorini (don’t know his first name 🤣) Release
    Ladapo Release
    LuaLua Release 
    Terry Taylor Release/Sell (clearly NJ does not fancy him)
    Tayo Edun Release/Sell
    McLovehandles Release/Sell

We are going to have a proper clear out 19 to leave, 10-11 signed and the squad trimmed as NJ wants. 

So, I think we will have:

AMB 2nd choice 
    Ward 3rd choice 

Ramsay
    Asiimwe
    Small
    REG
    Ness
    Jones
    Gillesphy 

Coventry
    Anderson
    T Campbell 

May
    Kanu
    Leaburn 
    Aneke

I reckon 1x GK, 2 x CB, 1 x LB or LWB, 3 x CM/CDM, 2 x CAMs, 1 x Winger (who can play both sides) and 1 x STR - proper focus on quality… 🙏🙏🙏
    Seeing those names in bold really hammers home that we need the rebuild of all rebuilds to anywhere near challenging.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    We need to be realistic though. Yes we need a massive turnover of players with, imho six or seven first team ready acquisitions but there has to be some of the current squad retained. It’s why I don’t think it’s feasible to make the squad changes required in one window.
    I thought that was very realistic. 
  • Options
    Henry. Chin and Williams all released. 
  • Options
    edited April 28
    markmc68 said:
    Henry. Chin and Williams all released. 
    Aaron Henry signed a two year contract in the summer, with the option of a third year
  • Options
    I saw enough in Fiorini at Wycombe to give him a deal. Won’t cost much given his lack of games over the last two seasons. Highly thought of at Man City and has a point to prove. 
  • Options
    I saw enough in Fiorini at Wycombe to give him a deal. Won’t cost much given his lack of games over the last two seasons. Highly thought of at Man City and has a point to prove. 
    So Highly thought of that they are willing to get rid of him?
    Or are you talking about another loan? Which I think is a bad idea.
  • Options
    No sense in getting rid of Tennai Watson. He's perfectly good enough as a backup RWB at this level and he's been decent under Jones
  • Options
    edited April 28
    So Highly thought of that they are willing to get rid of him?
    Or are you talking about another loan? Which I think is a bad idea.
    I think he’s out on loan from Man City not because at this point they want to retain him but because he’s now very much a punt for them that didn’t work out. They paid I believe good money for him and although I doubt, even without his injury problems he would have made it at City. I think he’ll be released without them wanting a fee. I’d offer him a years deal and see where it went. He’s obviously got talent enough for league one. 
  • Options
    Sign Small 100%. Not sure why Chin not fancied. He had a few games last season, out of position and didnt let us down, even when playing as right footed LB.
    He’s 22 in October and been on his third loan spell in the National League South. If he was that good he’d be pushing for the first team or at least on loan at a higher level.