Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crystal Palace ethical issue

edited April 11 in Not Sports Related
Hi! 

We're looking to get on the property ladder, are more or less ready to get our own flat.

Our budget isn't enormous. Ms Leuth is in charge of searching. 

A VERY great proportion of flats in our price range are coming up in the Crystal Palace area. 

I have no objection except the obvious crushing moral one. But is this objection trifling? Should I just bite the bullet if she finds a flat in that damned area that we both like?

She's just shown me one in Penge. We're viewing one in Upper Norwood on Saturday. The wheels are turning and it scares me 

Comments

• Options
    Have you looked in the west wickham area , Leuth?
  • Options
    Lived for about 6 years in SE19 - easy walking distance to Crystal Palace park and the station. Never felt like it was anything to do with CPFC who as everyone knows are in SE25.
  • Options
    Seems a perfect fit  :D
  • Options
    When we were looking to buy 2 years ago properties kept coming up round that way but I just couldn't be saying I lived there. Saying I live in Catford feels better on the conscience.
  • Options
    Surprised you can afford Palarse but not The belt between Greenwich and Abbey Wood, which I've found to be almost identical in pricing for the most part
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watch out for them Ultras...
  • Options
    Crystal Palace and Gypsy Hill are lovely..you don't see many Nigels at all. I say go for it!
  • Options
    Don’t base major decisions on football allegiances. 
    If the house ticks the boxes, go for it.
  • Options
    I guess I'm currently living in Millwall country. Somehow that feels less wrong. But thanks, this is all making me feel less (potentially) bad 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Hi! 

We're looking to get on the property ladder, are more or less ready to get our own flat.

A VERY great proportion of flats in our price range are coming up in the Crystal Palace area. 

I have no objection except the obvious crushing moral one. But is this objection trifling? Should I just bite the bullet if she finds a flat in that damned area that we both like?

She's just shown me one in Penge. We're viewing one in Upper Norwood on Saturday. The wheels are turning and it scares me 
    I lived in Crystal Palace from 2006 until 2012 when we moved to Penge, where we've been ever since. Crystal Palace changed hugely in that time and even Penge is getting there. Penge has more oddbods who support P*lace than I ever saw in Crystal Palace. 
  • Options
    Looking to make a similar move myself, preferably back to Penge/ Forest hill side of Lewisham, mostly to get away from Southeastern railways and the Belvedere end of Bexley which i feel i have had enough of.

Areas i would actively avoid are swaths of Sydenham and pretty much all of Anerley, some parts of Penge too and Norwood Junction end of Norwood. No go areas also Woodside, Clock house and Elmers End, though if i was given a place in any of those i might eventually adapt and feel at home.

Football allegiances can matter especially if you are triggered by old rivalries and even more so if you are a known quantity and likely to be targeted :) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People live in Bromley , so why not 
  • Options
    Crystal Palace is pretty la di da these days, it ain’t cheap

if you can afford there, you can afford somewhere else less dirty.
    Agreed.
    When I tell people me and the wife live in West Wickham,  I'm told I must be worth quite a bit.
    House prices are probably more in Crystal Palace and Penge.
  • Options
    I'll tell @AshBurton and a ban from the cricket club will be in order.

Also I will rip you limb from limb
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Hi! 

As a generalisation for decision making, if I have a doubt about something I go back to the phrase "when in doubt do nowt".
  • Options
    Turncoat 
  • Options
    edited April 11
    Finances dictate as well.   You come across as an intelligent poster, surely you understand this?
    Where do you live now btw?
    Rightmovecouk with your budget spend will help, but I imagine you know that.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Crystal Palace is pretty la di da these days, it ain’t cheap

if you can afford there, you can afford somewhere else less dirty.
    Agreed.
    When I tell people me and the wife live in West Wickham,  I'm told I must be worth quite a bit.
    House prices are probably more in Crystal Palace and Penge.
    Agreed mate, you're priceless.
  • Options
    TBF Crystal Palace is quite nice nowadays.  Penge on the other hand, make sure you leave enough left over from the flat purchase to cover a stab vest.
  • Options
    It’s a crap commute to the Valley. Don’t believe the club spiel that says otherwise 😉
    20 minutes on the bus they said

On a par with “The cheques in the post”