Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Cambridge Utd vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 13th April 2024 | KO 15:00

Charlton cruised into the lead after a stop-start opening, with Conor Wickham scoring on his first full start since joining in January. A beautiful ball from George Dobson was brought down expertly, as Wickham’s second touch set him up nicely to blast the ball into the back of the net.

But Cambridge started the second brighter and poor defending let Macaulay Bonne in with a fine turn-around strike from the edge of the box that beat Harry Isted despite the keeper getting both hands to the ball. The keeper will know he should have done better.

Charlton had chances when Alfie May and Chuks Aneke came on, including May hitting the post only for the ball to spin the wrong way and out, but the winner was elusive for both sides, with Cambridge coming away happier with a point that aids their relegation worries. 

Charlton should have had enough to keep a clean sheet and win with a single goal, but clean sheets have been few and far between for a defense that is prone to switching off and full of individual errors. The ball should have never got to Bonne and, when it did, the keeper should have done better. 

Charlton remain unbeaten, which is great I suppose, but we seem unable to kick on. 19 games drawn is an achievement nobody actually wants!

Cambridge 1 Charlton 1

Over to you.,

Comments

• Options
    We’re mathematically safe, but down to 16th is a gut punch.
  • Options
    Keeper should have saved their goal, and we should have won comfortably. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Shit
    Have you lost your dog?
  • Options
    Disappointing. Hoping for a big summer where we get our business done early. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heard there has been trouble after the game.

Supporters coach has had  window broken
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Flitted in and out of the stream as it’s difficult to keep interested at the moment. I’m not the biggest N Jones fan but I doff my cap to him for getting this shower to safety. But if we are going to challenge at the top next season we need a big rebuild. Our loanees can all go back but we’ll struggle to offload all those under contact who are not going to be the required standard. It will be an interesting summer. Priority is a class keeper. Neither of ours are up to it. And we can’t go in to a promotion challenge with Alfie, Kanu and a bunch of crocks up front. Wickham in his cameo today showed what we need but given his unfortunate injury record he isn’t the answer. On the assumption that gorgeous George is Hungary bound, we need some creativity around Coventry who is going to be our lynchpin. As for our defence, Jones will have to earn his corn here. Ramsay and Small look like being our wing backs but goodness only knows what our centre back combos will be. I can make a case for every CB we have but the combo is clearly flawed. Over to you Nathan. 
  • Options
    Thomas has had two bad games in a row now. Not timing his new contract run very well. 

Thought our midfield got a bit overpowered second half. Still should have won 
  • Options
    Another game where we've gone a goal up & haven't won.

Only the bottom 4 have won less games than us.

19 draws - almost half the number of games we've played

Yes we are safe but 16th & not likely to get much higher.

People keep saying "wait for the recruitment in the summer" but..............

1. we still have Andy Scott who brought in most of the (shit) squad
    2. A lot of these players are under contract - how are you going to get rid of them ?  Pay their contracts up ala Kirk ?  because other clubs wont want them.
    Gah..........it will take a lot to make me start going again. Never seen such crap in my life. Will probably go next week just to clap off Dobson & May. 
    I was thinking about this in terms of defense, and all of the players I have questions about are under contract for next season. 10A, Ness (hopefully he gets a loan), Jones, Edun, REG, and Gillesphey. I think Hector is the best defender we have and he's out of contract, and I believe TT is the defender who had played the most under NJ and he's out of contract (there are also questions about him). I guess we have Asiimwe but I expect him to be loaned out at least for the first half. 

10A, REG, and Gillesphey have shown that they might be better than what we've seen from them at times this year--but do you trust them to be first choice? If not, those are some expensive reserves I imagine. Maybe Jones too but I don't know that he fits in a back three that well.

Mitchell coming back could fit in well, he seems very talented, but it's worrying that he wasn't getting in the squad for Colchester before getting hurt (some of that apparently due to the number of loanees they have).

It doesn't make for a great picture. 

At least in midfield everyone is out of contract except Coventry, Anderson, Taylor (who we haven't seen even make the bench under Jones), and Fraser (I doubt he'll be back though).

So yes we desperately need upgrades, but a lot of the players we need upgrades on have been here less than a year. 
  • Options
    Can't remember the last goals we conceded that wasn't from individual errors, thankfully just two games left of this horrible season with this horrible squad 
  • Options
    Draws this season:

19 - Charlton (Div 3)
    17 - Huddersfield (Div 2), Oldham (Conf), York (Conf), Welling (Conf S)
    16 - Watford (Div 2), Grimsby (Div 4), King's Lynn (Conf N), Weymouth (Conf S)
    15 - Forfar (Scot Lge 2), Bromley (Conf), Taunton (Conf S), Dover (Conf S)

More draws than anyone else in the top SEVEN divisions in England and the entire Scottish League but, in typical Charlton style, falling short of the all-time season record of 23.

Something to be proud of and tell the grandkids.

If you had backed the draw with £10 in every Charlton league game this season on Betfair Exchange, you’d have made £297.50 before commission.

Home: +£43.50. Away: +£254.00.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Another game where we've gone a goal up & haven't won.

Only the bottom 4 have won less games than us.

19 draws - almost half the number of games we've played

Yes we are safe but 16th & not likely to get much higher.

People keep saying "wait for the recruitment in the summer" but..............

1. we still have Andy Scott who brought in most of the (shit) squad
    2. A lot of these players are under contract - how are you going to get rid of them ?  Pay their contracts up ala Kirk ?  because other clubs wont want them.
    Gah..........it will take a lot to make me start going again. Never seen such crap in my life. Will probably go next week just to clap off Dobson & May. 
    I was thinking about this in terms of defense, and all of the players I have questions about are under contract for next season. 10A, Ness (hopefully he gets a loan), Jones, Edun, REG, and Gillesphey. I think Hector is the best defender we have and he's out of contract, and I believe TT is the defender who had played the most under NJ and he's out of contract (there are also questions about him). I guess we have Asiimwe but I expect him to be loaned out at least for the first half. 

10A, REG, and Gillesphey have shown that they might be better than what we've seen from them at times this year--but do you trust them to be first choice? If not, those are some expensive reserves I imagine. Maybe Jones too but I don't know that he fits in a back three that well.

Mitchell coming back could fit in well, he seems very talented, but it's worrying that he wasn't getting in the squad for Colchester before getting hurt (some of that apparently due to the number of loanees they have).

It doesn't make for a great picture. 

At least in midfield everyone is out of contract except Coventry, Anderson, Taylor (who we haven't seen even make the bench under Jones), and Fraser (I doubt he'll be back though).

So yes we desperately need upgrades, but a lot of the players we need upgrades on have been here less than a year. 
    And that is a big problem. Andy Scott brought in a load of players & hardly any of them are any good. 

• Options
    Hard to see what happened for the goal from our end but Hector had a good game. Line up was a bit odd and seemed very unbalanced. TC and Anderson ran their socks off but Dobson and Coventry had off games which didn’t help them. May and Aneke made a real difference when they came on. In all our other games I’ve seen the building blocks for next season but today just felt odd 
  • Options
    edited April 13
    Had to let that cnut score, need a whole new defence and goalkeeper if we want to go up. Can’t get much worse than this season, kudos to Jones for turning it around. We were on the way to league two under Apples. 
  • Options
    Shite yet again.