Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Cambridge Utd vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 13th April 2024 | KO 15:00

12346»

Comments

• Options
    With regards to Hector and Thomas if they are offered new contracts then NJ must believe they are good enough. 
    If they are released he must believe he can bring in better. 
    I can't see them both being here next season that's for sure. 
  • Options
    edited April 14
    It is a problem though. On paper our defenders are ok at this level. If we brought in a keeper who can dominate his box and help organise the defence better, would they be better? But then, in the past we had players like Innis and Sarr who could cause opposing defenders problems from set pieces whether they scored or not. Ours don't seem to have that in them. Maybe Jones has the potential to do that. Maybe. It is something for Jones to ponder.

The same with the midfield. Maybe Anderson will score more goals as he gains experience. Coventry and Dobbo not so much. Maybe there is a spot for a Dobbo replacement who knows where the goal is. But we will miss what Dobbo gives us which would also need replacing. Personally I would like to keep Dobbo if there is a way.

Small, Ramsey and possibly Assimwe next season could be very good. Watson maybe as a reserve but Edun has to go. Bakinson could be a decent squad player as you do have to think about the squad. The more I think about it, the more I think better Jones than me but I think it is very possible he can sort it out if he is supported. We have to remember the job Powell did and I would argue it might be easier for Jones. I know some wouldn't.
  • Options
    th0rryy said:
    This was one of the few league games that I haven't watched live (either at the Valley or via Charlton TV) this season. Felt like a draw was highly likely coming into it, given our recent form, and sounds like the game did follow the expected script.

To continue the conversation about our defense...

I find it hard to make a solid case for any of them (that have played the majority of the season) starting next season. Our defending this season has been the entire reason we flirted so perilously with relegation. Without the goals/assists of Alfie (and before he left, CB-T) and the miraculous management of NJ, we'd be staring directly down the barrel of going into L2. We have had 5 clean sheets all season, with only one coming away from home. If I was so inclined, I could probably find multiple clips of every one of our defenders and goalkeepers making individual errors that directly contributed to games being lost and/or points dropped. In some cases, multiple individual errors over small periods of games.

As NJ rightly and honestly pointed out, I don't believe this is entirely down to coaching or tactics. Maybe the defensive-minded, deep play of Dobbo/Coventry applies to an extent, but it's not the biggest factor. Most of our defenders are simply not good enough across any metric and many of them are below average L1 players that we cannot afford to carry any longer. Some of them can have the odd game here and there were they go slightly above the bare minimum expectation, but our expectations for the defense this season has been so low, anything past terrible has been given a pass. I've lost count of the amount of games this season where I felt our resistance to the opposing side has been anything more than wafer thin. At any given moment, we had a collection of defenders that could make significant mistakes in sequence that would throw a game. At this level, games are regularly decided by who makes more defensive howlers and not by high quality attacking play. Successful teams this season (Pompey, Derby) are built upon the foundation of being difficult to score against - Pompey had thirteen away clean sheets alone.

If he could (and maybe he still might), I believe NJ would rip it all up and start again. I'd keep Small and Ramsey as potential starters, and RE-G and Thomas as backups due to fitness records, games played and versatility. I would ditch the rest and have a clean slate. Yes, even Jones, Gillesphey and Hector - ALL of whom have had howler mistakes at different times this season. Sometimes I feel like I live in a parallel universe when people say that a better GK would fix them. No, they have been lower L1 form all year. A better GK is 1000% top of the agenda for signing in the summer, but even if you put the world's best behind some of these CBs, they would still ship a lot of goals. 

My fear with any ripcord-tearing approach is that we struggle to have much continuity into next season and we risk not hitting the ground running if we can't bring in defenders of sufficient quality. NJ will know this and I believe his approach will not be as extreme as my suggestion, as in reality, that is not how things will work. We will have Wrexham throwing boatloads of money at players, and the market will be a nightmare. Realistically, more of them will stay than go, but we cannot have another defensive mess like we had this season.

No-one should be advocating more than a handful of this current defensive unit. When we get defensively undone regularly by lower half, sh*thouse teams in and around the relegation places in L1, it's a massive, massive problem. I trust NJ to fix it, but we should all be agreement that we need to completely clean house and the more of them that go, the better.
    Excellent post and I agree wholeheartedly.
  • Options
  • Options
    Not the perfect result but after Reading if someone said we'd go on an unbeaten run of 13 games after and avoid relegation I would have grabbed it straight away but also think they were off their trolley!

Make no mistake, Nathan looks like a man that has counted to ten too often recently and just wants to lose his sh*t.

However, I'm confident he will purge a good number at seasons end and with some financial support bring some new players in with experience and a backbone.

Thanks Nathan for getting us out of this mess but the Board needs to take note that if you don't invest in this man and the team then we will be right back at the bottom again. 

"and with some financial support bring some new players "

Look we all want to do well and starting yesterday.  Its easy for us to demand more money to be spent when its not our cash, and wouldn't invest in football club because we have more sense.

The board have invested massively already. Look at the number of players in the squad. I bet a lot of supporters wouldn't be able to name or give a number to the first team squad (myself included). 
    We must have the most expensive squad to have produced such poor results and final table position, certainly this season and probably many seasons before.
    As others have already posted there is a hell of job on sorting through this squad and moving on those well paid players still in contract. I think it may take 2 seasons more to build a potential promotion squad.

Maybe the board are prepared "invest" (?waste) more, nobody should expect it as a given.

Don't forget that there was an aspiration to reduce losses to £1m per season, we have been running at about £8m loss per season. My bet is a bigger than ever loss of £9-10 m (.........and ????? a points deduction. Lets find the rule book)
  • Options
    Second time recently I’ve seen a reference on CL to a possible points deduction …. Why??? 
  • Options
    edited April 14
    stonemuse said:
    Second time recently I’ve seen a reference on CL to a possible points deduction …. Why??? 
    Concern that we might be breaching the ratio of player wages to turnover (League 1 limit 60% I think) Penalties for exceeding it apply, BUT owners can increase the turnover figure used to calculate it by investing equity (if they do so in advance I presume)
  • Options
    Listened to NJ on Charlton Live this morning. Sounds as though he knows who he wants and who he doesn't, I can see quite a few being shipped out, and I think it'll happen as soon as the season ends!
    Interesting to read @Airman Brown's view on the annual accounts that have just published. 

Up to the end of March this year (so includes SE7 Partners January transfer window) we haven't spent more than we received on transfer dealings. 

Make of that what you will but to me its doesn't look like we will be going down the Wrexham route regarding recruitment. 
    Isn’t it the 2022/23 accounts though?
  • Options
    Few transfers in L1 involve big fees, and if they do it usually follows the club also selling a player for a big fee.

More significant is the wage budget. Successful clubs generally have a higher wage budget, hence the top 6 being mainly the sides you'd expect to be up there. We stand out as horrendous underachievers...
  • Options
    Time now to drop Harry Parry, he’s costing us too many goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jayajosh said:
    Time now to drop Harry Parry, he’s costing us too many goals.
    His replacement would be?
  • Options

Listened to NJ on Charlton Live this morning. Sounds as though he knows who he wants and who he doesn't, I can see quite a few being shipped out, and I think it'll happen as soon as the season ends!
    Interesting to read @Airman Brown's view on the annual accounts that have just published. 

Up to the end of March this year (so includes SE7 Partners January transfer window) we haven't spent more than we received on transfer dealings. 

Make of that what you will but to me its doesn't look like we will be going down the Wrexham route regarding recruitment. 
    I’d expect future transfer expenditure to be covered by a fee for Leaburn in due course and potentially Kanu or Anderson if they progress, so the point is moot. If Leaburn had stayed fit he wouldn’t be here next season or possibly this.

The main shareholders would be plain daft to sit in L1 losing £7m-£10m a year whatever fairy stories they were told about revenue opportunities. Stockport at home, anyone?
    I wouldn’t think NJ would’ve come here over waiting for a Championship gig if he hasn’t been promised at least SOME funds for building a team in his own image.

Whether those promised funds materialise and/or is the result of a received fee for Leaburn / Kanu / Anderson, only time will tell.

I’d be disappointed if it turns out to be another undercooked summer of entirely free transfers and loans but nothing should be a surprise with Charlton Athletic.
  • Options

I’d expect future transfer expenditure to be covered by a fee for Leaburn in due course and potentially Kanu or Anderson if they progress, so the point is moot. If Leaburn had stayed fit he wouldn’t be here next season or possibly this.

The main shareholders would be plain daft to sit in L1 losing £7m-£10m a year whatever fairy stories they were told about revenue opportunities. Stockport at home, anyone?
    I wouldn’t think NJ would’ve come here over waiting for a Championship gig if he hasn’t been promised at least SOME funds for building a team in his own image.

Whether those promised funds materialise and/or is the result of a received fee for Leaburn / Kanu / Anderson, only time will tell.

I’d be disappointed if it turns out to be another undercooked summer of entirely free transfers and loans but nothing should be a surprise with Charlton Athletic.
    Pointless treading water. We've enough owners to realize that. Someone will grasp the nettle if they haven't already. I'm expecting big changes this summer, not just in personnel but in approach.

Seeing past owners described as miserly I don't agree with given the scale of their losses, but wasteful and deluded? Definitely.

These had better be different gravy or I shall, well I don't know what.
  • Options
    swordfish said:

Pointless treading water. We've enough owners to realize that. Someone will grasp the nettle if they haven't already. I'm expecting big changes this summer, not just in personnel but in approach.

Seeing past owners described as miserly I don't agree with given the scale of their losses, but wasteful and deluded? Definitely.

These had better be different gravy or I shall, well I don't know what.
    Did you see NJ’s post match interview? Seems pretty clear to me that wholesale personnel changes are incoming to achieve promotion next season. Certainly NJ is under that impression from what he said, no doubt this was what he was promised to lure him
    to the Valley.
  • Options
    And how many goals have our defence scored from set pieces ?

I can remember one from Jones. 
  • Options

Isn’t it the 2022/23 accounts though?
    The transfer income and expenditure relates to 2023/24 up to accounts sign-off on 28/3/24 (so in practice the whole of this season).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 15
    Not the perfect result but after Reading if someone said we'd go on an unbeaten run of 13 games after and avoid relegation I would have grabbed it straight away but also think they were off their trolley!

Make no mistake, Nathan looks like a man that has counted to ten too often recently and just wants to lose his sh*t.

However, I'm confident he will purge a good number at seasons end and with some financial support bring some new players in with experience and a backbone.

Thanks Nathan for getting us out of this mess but the Board needs to take note that if you don't invest in this man and the team then we will be right back at the bottom again. 

"and with some financial support bring some new players "

Look we all want to do well and starting yesterday.  Its easy for us to demand more money to be spent when its not our cash, and wouldn't invest in football club because we have more sense.

The board have invested massively already. Look at the number of players in the squad. I bet a lot of supporters wouldn't be able to name or give a number to the first team squad (myself included). 
    We must have the most expensive squad to have produced such poor results and final table position, certainly this season and probably many seasons before.
    As others have already posted there is a hell of job on sorting through this squad and moving on those well paid players still in contract. I think it may take 2 seasons more to build a potential promotion squad.

Maybe the board are prepared "invest" (?waste) more, nobody should expect it as a given.

Don't forget that there was an aspiration to reduce losses to £1m per season, we have been running at about £8m loss per season. My bet is a bigger than ever loss of £9-10 m (.........and ????? a points deduction. Lets find the rule book)
    Not commenting either way, but the accounts show they had put £8.9m into the business up until 28/3/24 - which is pretty much what previous owners have done to cover the losses (spivs, Roland, Sandgaard). There hasn’t been unusual investment in the squad, unless you count reinvesting transfer income.
  • Options
    It amazes me how many times the ball is dropping out of the air and the player lets it bounce before clumsily trying to get it under control......and I'm not just talking about this game. It then allows the opposition a chance to press and (usually) dispossess us. Even as a kid, I was taught to either attack the ball or bring it under control and if we let it bounce, we'd be torn a new arsehole. 

It's just basic things like this that most of our squad seem incapable of doing. 

I can't wait for a rebuild.
    Absolutely spot on!!
  • Options
    The problem with Hector is I think he is looking good now. 
    😂🤷‍♂️ 
    I actually know what you mean. I still think he's good enough (as refelected in the players marks - except in the early part of the season) but because we've seen him in a defense that is error prone I've lost a bit of faith in him, despite his upturn in form after his poor start.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the recruitment team and Nathan Jones sort out the defense over the summer, one way or another. I think Jones, Thomas, Hector, Gillesphey, and Ness are all good enough on their day, but I'm not sure they have the consistency required. REG I haven't seen enough of.

• Options
    TEL said:
    Chunes said:
    The problem with Hector is I think he is looking good now. 
    I agree. Think he's looked good since he's come back. But his problem has always been application and concentration. Now he needs a new contract, he's at it 100%. Will he be the same when he's got one? I really doubt it. Think we'll go back to old Hector the 60% switch off. 
    I make you right in that miraculously finds form when a contract is up... I'd ship him out. 
    I've never been convinced by this argument.