Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Four unnamed trialists, two keepers, with the U21s today.
  • Need to start revving up the loan market. 

We need injections of quality and raw talent. 
    Our squad is massive as it is, we need keeper, left centre back hopefully Potts and an attacking midfielder. I’d rather have no loans involved.
  • edited July 27
    Yann897 said:
    Need to start revving up the loan market. 

We need injections of quality and raw talent. 
    Our squad is massive as it is, we need keeper, left centre back hopefully Potts and an attacking midfielder. I’d rather have no loans involved.
    You have to take advantage of every avenue you have to get quality players in. 

It gives you the chance to have a player with the raw talent that wouldn't be available to many other teams in the division if you have the right talent spotting and connections. (Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher, Rak-Sakyi - to name a few). 

If we don't, other teams will. 

If the squad is too big, pay them off or sell them. There's a lot of players we still have that won't make it anywhere near a promotion winning squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 27
    mart77 said:
    Burton do like our castoffs, don't they?

You'd think they'd learn after moving MacGillivray on in double quick time.
  • mart77 said:
    Undisclosed ‘terms’ as opposed fee. Assume some sort of payment due depending on appearances etc, hopefully not goals scored. Although dependant on goals conceded might suit us.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I felt very good about our summer business 10-14 days ago and still do. I said then that the only missing piece was a goalkeeper, and that is still the case.

No need to panic yet but is starting to get to that time where it’s less than ideal that a player isn’t in the building yet. We need another defender and midfielder but neither are as critical as the goalkeeper.

Encouraged that Sinisalo was a target - he’d have been my first choice so a shame that he’s gone to Celtic.
    Do we not also still need a creative midfielder who adds a goal threat? That for me would be a key signing. 
    After the Wimbledon game I’ll stand by this comment. 
    And still not convinced Coventry is a promotion winning midfielder. 
    Yes, so far I'm yet to see what he delivers. Not a massive physical presence, and nothing special creatively.

It'll be interesting if NJ seems him as a first choice player, seeing that he wasn't one of "his" signings.
  • edited July 27
    mart77 said:

Good news.  A really poor signing by us.  Seemed a nice chap so good luck to him but there are many, many better L1 keepers around.

Maybe Burton would like to take AMB, Fraser, Edun and Gillesphy too...
  • mart77 said:

Good news.  A really poor signing by us.  Seemed a nice chap so good luck to him but there are many, many better L1 keepers around.

Maybe Burton would like to take AMB, Fraser, Edun and Gillesphey too...
    I'd add Coventry, Watson, Jones and REG (if deemed a CB). None of these NJ picks but most surely on good money for L1.

But yet to see why he bought Berry and Docherty.
  • mart77 said:

I'd add Coventry, Watson, Jones and REG (if deemed a CB). None of these NJ picks but most surely on good money for L1.

Docherty and Berry are very good players for this level and Iv seen glimpses of both so far to know they’ll turn out good for us, Coventry I’m not sold on yet though I’d try Taylor against Pompey.
  • mart77 said:
    Dean Holden signing wasn't it? Went about as well as he did. 

We've had pretty bad luck with keepers it seems like: 

23/24 - Maynard-Brewer and Isted 
    22/23 - Maynard-Brewer and Woolacott
    21/22 - MacGillivray
    20/21 - Amos
    19/20 - Phillips (Championship)

Zero consistency other than Maynard-Brewer that just didn't make the step up we wanted. 
  • mart77 said:

21/22 - MacGillivray
    20/21 - Amos

Zero consistency other than Maynard-Brewer that just didn't make the step up we wanted. 
    He signed when Holden was manager but Holden was a big AMB fan and started off the season with him in goal. I reckon he was a Scott signing 
  • Sponsored links:

• mart77 said:

21/22 - MacGillivray
    20/21 - Amos

He signed when Holden was manager but Holden was a big AMB fan and started off the season with him in goal. I reckon he was a Scott signing 
    Joined in June rather than July so I'm sure Scott will claim it wasn't his decision, but I'm sure they were in the background at the time. 

Quotes when he joined were from Holden and CEO Storrie. 

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/done-deal-harry-isted-addick
  • Isted has been dining out on that performance in the play off final for Barnsley for sometime.

Was basically hopeless for us.
    I said he looked dodgy after the millwall friendly & got slated for it, give him  a chance etc but if he looks dodgy he looks dodgy........ & he did & was.
  • Yann897 said:
    mart77 said:

Docherty and Berry are very good players for this level and Iv seen glimpses of both so far to know they’ll turn out good for us, Coventry I’m not sold on yet though I’d try Taylor against Pompey.
    Are they capable players? I've seen both comfortable on the ball in tight places. Occasionally. Not today. No end product. Slide rule passes? Only back to defenders. Dribbling? Not in the locker of either. Dobson-like tackling? No way. Even NJ mantra of pressing? Yet to see it. Pace? Dont think so. Heading ability? They are short arses. Pratley like shithousery? No. Dictate a game? Send me a link.

Please although  Berry had nearly half a season of a Premiership relegation year, why are they good midfielders?
    You’re basing all that on a 70 minute pre season friendly. Iv seen both players play over the last few seasons and they’re better players than Dobson for a start.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I felt very good about our summer business 10-14 days ago and still do. I said then that the only missing piece was a goalkeeper, and that is still the case.

No need to panic yet but is starting to get to that time where it’s less than ideal that a player isn’t in the building yet. We need another defender and midfielder but neither are as critical as the goalkeeper.

Encouraged that Sinisalo was a target - he’d have been my first choice so a shame that he’s gone to Celtic.
    Do we not also still need a creative midfielder who adds a goal threat? That for me would be a key signing. 
    After the Wimbledon game I’ll stand by this comment. 
    And still not convinced Coventry is a promotion winning midfielder. 
    Chill out. I'm assured by my plethora of West Ham mates that he's mustard.
  • I think it’s too early to judge anything tbh. Fans think we need to improve the team and it seems clear that NJ wants the same. The issue will be can we manoeuvre the players we want out of the team, whilst adding some starting XI quality to our ranks. 

I hope for everyone’s sake that we can make a decent start as I think raised hopes will evaporate quickly if we’re again starting a season in a similar fashion to last year. 

All we need is to do is sign up a high quality GK, CB, CM, AM and striker and we’ll be grand! I think two of these will arrive this week in probably Begovic and Potts. 

Despite today I think we’ll beat Pompey 2-0.
  • Yann897 said:
    mart77 said:

I’m so fed up of hearing the ‘good players for this level’ mantra it’s been mentioned for just about everyone we’ve signed in the last 3 years ,and that hasn’t worked out so well. I hope Docherty and Berry manage to adapt to this level, and that NJ can get them working really hard for the club.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!