Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eurovision 2024

Don’t normally watch the semi finals but decided to watch the first of them tonight. What were Ireland thinking of?

Comments

• Options
    edited May 7
    Did they do “ My Lovely Horse”?
  • Options
    Did they do “ My Lovely Horse”?
    Would have been 100% better.
  • Options
    Don’t normally watch the semi finals but decided to watch the first of them tonight. What were Ireland thinking of?
    She’s a local girl.
    I'm loving reading the comments. They vary from, she’s a satanist burn her to absolute love. Hilarious.
    But all this seems to have distracted the gaze from the horror that was the Finish entry that also qualified.
    Get on YouTube.
    You won’t thank me mind.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/BNc5zTYkTaQ?si=zRyI6PZD9ApqYmi-

For those like me who hadn't seen it.

I can see that doing very well, tbh, production is good which does well in Eurovision.
  • Options

I can see that doing very well, tbh, production is good which does well in Eurovision.
    In fairness, for the performers last night the staged production (which I imagine looked much better on TV than live, because some of the stage & lighting effects appeared to be half way down the hall) were almost uniformly excellent.

I was surprised at some of the songs that got through (though that surprise did not extend as far as the Finland entry), have to admit to really quite liking the Luxembourgish song and performance. 
  • Options
    Croatia for me. 
  • Options
    Think Ireland have a very good chance of a Top 5 but expect it to be between Switzerland, Croatia and Italy for the overall win. 
  • Options
    The music is pretty much all rank but the production values are generally fantastic on the main show, I think it's used as a bit of a test or sales thing for new visual effects, maybe. The voting is always fun, see how geopolitics is shaping up. 
  • Options
    She’s a local girl.
    I'm loving reading the comments. They vary from, she’s a satanist burn her to absolute love. Hilarious.
    But all this seems to have distracted the gaze from the horror that was the Finish entry that also qualified.
    Get on YouTube.
    You won’t thank me mind.
    That Finland entry was more OTT and surreal than anything in the Eurovision spoof film with Will Ferrell! If I hadn't seen it I would never have believed it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think Irelands one is decent, catchy chorus and a good production.
  • Options
    I only saw the last few minutes of the programme but I'm looking forward to seeing finlands full entry on Saturday. Can tell it is gonna be good just by the looks of them. 
  • Options
    edited May 8
    I really like the Irish song but not sure why. Maybe because it isn't boring. I don't think the UK song is strong. It is OK but unlike the Irish it is a bit boring to listen to. Sam Ryder had an original song and a voice that sounds better live than recorded. That is the recipe IMO. Last year's was a decent song but was flat live and this year's is flat live and recorded. You wouldn't turn it off on the radio but would be wondering what the next song is going to be.
  • Options
    If the UK entry isn't exceptional, it will finish below twentieth.
  • Options
    We listened to Radio 2 and I’m all Richie Andersoned out
  • Options
    Seen lots of coverage on various programmes but can’t recall actually hearing our song whereas it is usually everywhere. 

Last year was a good song but with a shit live performance. 
  • Options

Any Final Fantasy 8 fans seeing Edea here?

FF VIII Cutscene 14 - Sorceress Edea HD - YouTube
  • Options
    Olly Alexander brings a bit of star value for the UK, but always thought he struggles as a live singer.
  • Options
    Currently I'd take a Top 15 finish for the UK , I'm just a bit concerned about Olly's live vocals holding up with such elaborate staging too. He's probably going to do better with the jury than the televote to be honest. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Olly Alexander brings a bit of star value for the UK, but always thought he struggles as a live singer.
    Same, I liked Years and Years' stuff but not any time they were live.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Same, I liked Years and Years' stuff but not any time they were live.
    The first Years and Years album was very good. Seemed to dip quite a bit when it was clear it was just going to be the Olly Alexander show.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Currently I'd take a Top 15 finish for the UK , I'm just a bit concerned about Olly's live vocals holding up with such elaborate staging too. He's probably going to do better with the jury than the televote to be honest. 
    Bottom 3 and I haven’t heard or seen it, but we all know how the voting works.
  • Options
    Netherlands suspended
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Netherlands suspended
    If the investigation into the "incident" leads to him being banned, would the next placed finisher from last night's vote get the place in the final?

Asking only because I really think Denmark (maybe even San Marino, if I'd had a few pints) were a bit robbed when you consider what got through.
  • Options
    I was going to watch this but I am painting the bedroom wall so will have to watch the paint dry. Never mind 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Netherlands suspended
    If the investigation into the "incident" leads to him being banned, would the next placed finisher from last night's vote get the place in the final?

Asking only because I really think Denmark (maybe even San Marino, if I'd had a few pints) were a bit robbed when you consider what got through.
    They can't do that, for a technical reason.  They don't release the order in which the semi-finalists finished until after the final.  They only list the ten from each semi-final that got through.  I assume this is so as to avoid giving too much indication as to the public's voting before the final.  
  • Options
    Had another look at Ireland. Like it more the second time. Great performance to go with the song.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Netherlands suspended
    Is that confirmed?
    Just seems he was banned from the rehearsal for attacking a photographer?
    Albeit the rumors are that he actually walloped one of the Israeli delegates for insulting his dead parents.
    Seems this contest is less and less about the music 🙄
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Netherlands suspended
    Is that confirmed?
    Just seems he was banned from the rehearsal for attacking a photographer?
    Albeit the rumors are that he actually walloped one of the Israeli delegates for insulting his dead parents.
    Seems this contest is less and less about the music 🙄
    If that is true, surely he is entitled to wallop them.