Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England vs Bosnia (C4) - KO: 7:45pm

Comments

• Trent is so much better at right back or at least right midfield, rather than in the centre.
  • Grealish has made a big difference, having not had a good season.
  • edited June 3
    Katrine M was right, see the stars of the future……Baby Beckham, Konsa, Gomez all playing for England
  • Enjoyable game, didnt feel like a 3-0 result... Good prep given the way Bosnia sat back for the majority of the match.

Going to be a fun Summer of Football whatever happens.
  • Just a friendly but that's the kind of game England are going to have to unpick in the group stages. Bosnia were never interested in scoring they just wanted to spoil and first half we let them. Opened them up more in the second though and it was comfortable.
  • Two assists from Konsa.  Well done young man. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

St James’ Park really is a glorious stadium. Absolutely enormous, but still has a weird uniqueness to it. Games on the road are much more fun than the Wembley borefests.
    So a match becomes better because of the stadium? Interesting...  
  • edited June 4
    cafctom said:

St James’ Park really is a glorious stadium. Absolutely enormous, but still has a weird uniqueness to it. Games on the road are much more fun than the Wembley borefests.
    Stadiums/crowds influence atmosphere, you only have to see how many of Wembley's "'supporters" disappear to hospitality for about an hour around half time to workout how little they contribute to-the atmos at the game.

Thats why a lot of Spains games used to be played in Seville because they got better "Spanish" support than in Basque/Catalan regions and the capital.
  • cafctom said:

Yes, and in the case of the new Wembley - it can make a game feel even more tedious to experience when it comes to England friendlies. 
    Away from the national stadium there definitely feels like a greater appreciation from local supporters whenever we play in the north. As mentioned above, not a sign of a paper airplane or Mexican wave.
  • edited June 4
    cafctom said:

Is this a surprise?

Some of the best atmospheres at England games in the modern era were when Wembley was being redeveloped and they travelled around the country. The Turkey game at Sunderland was probably the best, it was absolutely rocking that night, which you definitely wouldn't have got had it been at Wembley.
  • cafctom said:

Is this a surprise?

Some of the best atmospheres at England games in the modern era were when Wembley was being redeveloped and they travelled around the country. The Turkey game at Sunderland was probably the best, it was absolutely rocking that night, which you definitely wouldn't have got had it been at Wembley.
    Is Wembley the problem, atmosphere seemed excellent there on Saturday for the CL final 
  • Wembley isn’t the problem, club finals there are insane as were the Euro 20 England games.

Its friendlies and easy qualifiers infront of fans that see England fairly regular and families when the atmosphere is flat. 

•  I am not talking about the match “experience”. The phrase “Wembley borefest” indicates the match itself is boring. Personally if the football is good I don’t give a monkeys whether people are setting light to each other, being the Palace Ultras or eating a prawn sandwich. There were periods last night where the crowd was as quiet as The Valley after another 94th minute winner from the opposition… 
  • edited June 4
  • Sponsored links:

•  I am not talking about the match “experience”. The phrase “Wembley borefest” indicates the match itself is boring. Personally if the football is good I don’t give a monkeys whether people are setting light to each other, being the Palace Ultras or eating a prawn sandwich. There were periods last night where the crowd was as quiet as The Valley after another 94th minute winner from the opposition… 
    My phrase “Wembley borefest” indicates the experience of Wembley is boring, in the context of England games. 

Imagine the Football For A Fiver crowd, but across about 80,000 people. 

I don’t know if you were at the game last night, but it was far more enjoyable than an experience at Wembley - and many travelling England fans tend to agree. 
  • cafctom said:
     I am not talking about the match “experience”. The phrase “Wembley borefest” indicates the match itself is boring. Personally if the football is good I don’t give a monkeys whether people are setting light to each other, being the Palace Ultras or eating a prawn sandwich. There were periods last night where the crowd was as quiet as The Valley after another 94th minute winner from the opposition… 
    My phrase “Wembley borefest” indicates the experience of Wembley is boring, in the context of England games. 

I don’t know if you were at the game last night, but it was far more enjoyable than an experience at Wembley - and many travelling England fans tend to agree. 
    I didn't take it as such, Tom - as I say I assumed you were talking about the match as that is a phrase beloved of commentators and pundits when it is a dull match. So we are talking at cross purposes. I agree the atmosphere looked and sounded better than some games at Wembley. 

Fact is 2/3 of the population live within striking distance of London, so while road games are a good idea for smaller games, big matches will always be at Wembley.     
  • good run out/audition for some of the new comers to the squad .. there is a lot of talent which might not be called on during the Euros, but augers very well for the future
  • Wonder if Branthwaite will get a start v Iceland.

Feels like 2 from Dunk, Guehi and Branthwaite, personally I'd rather the latter two.
  • cafctom said:
     I am not talking about the match “experience”. The phrase “Wembley borefest” indicates the match itself is boring. Personally if the football is good I don’t give a monkeys whether people are setting light to each other, being the Palace Ultras or eating a prawn sandwich. There were periods last night where the crowd was as quiet as The Valley after another 94th minute winner from the opposition… 

I didn't take it as such, Tom - as I say I assumed you were talking about the match as that is a phrase beloved of commentators and pundits when it is a dull match. So we are talking at cross purposes. I agree the atmosphere looked and sounded better than some games at Wembley. 

Fact is 2/3 of the population live within striking distance of London, so while road games are a good idea for smaller games, big matches will always be at Wembley.     
    Plus the FA own Wembley, which cost a fortune to build, so it will always be the main England venue.

Feels like 2 from Dunk, Guehi and Branthwaite, personally I'd rather the latter two.
    Dunk is a fine club player, but is lucky to be around at a time when we have massive strength in attacking area, but are weak in one of our traditionally good positions. 

How many caps would Steve Bould, Steve Bruce or Richard Rufus have got if they were around now?
  • cafctom said:

Plus the FA own Wembley, which cost a fortune to build, so it will always be the main England venue.
    It’s the same reason why FA Cup Semi Finals are being hosted there.  

I completely understand the reasons as to why so many England games are there - I just think the atmosphere is terrible all too often. There’s no real solution to it. 

Dunk is a fine club player, but is lucky to be around at a time when we have massive strength in attacking area, but are weak in one of our traditionally good positions. 

How many caps would Steve Bould, Steve Bruce or Richard Rufus have got if they were around now?
    Dunk got embarrassed by Lukaku against Roma in both europa legs. Whatever happens we are waiting for Maguire to get back to fitness.
  • edited June 5
    Adam Wharton had a 100% pass completion percentage on a very impressive debut performance.

Bastards found a good one - they’ll make a lot of money selling him.