Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v 🇸🇰 Slovakia

Comments

• Harry Kane slightly stretching the truth i think.

"The long-throw we did (for the equaliser) was something we worked on."

Yes Harry, i'm sure a miracle strike out of nowhere from Bellingham was definitely something you worked on all week.........
    Tottenham prick.
    That’s harsh on Elfs. 
  • Last two winners of this tournament had 3 out of 4 knockout games end in a draw after 90 minutes, including at least one game they were heavy favourites in.

2016 Portugal: Croatia (a.e.t.) -> Poland (p) -> Wales -> France (a.e.t.)

2020 Italy: Austria (a.e.t.) -> Belgium -> Spain (p) -> England (p)
    Yeh, but they didn’t have to face the mighty Switzerland.

On second thought, Switzerland. “Four thousand years of peace and what do you get?  The cuckoo clock”.  
  • edited July 1
    England at major tournaments the last forty years (grouped by individual managers):

84 DNQ
    86 8th
    88 7th
    90 4th
    (average - 6th, plus one DNQ)

92 7th
    94 DNQ

96 3rd

98 9th

00 11th

02 6th
    04 5th
    06 7th
    (average - 6th)

08 DNQ

10 13th

12 5th
    14 26th
    16 12th
    (average - 14th)

18 4th
    20 2nd
    22 6th
    24 8th or better
    (average - at worst, 5th)

GS now inarguably the manager with the best tournament results for England in the last 40 years.
    I know you love a stat Callum, but how on God’s green earth do you finish 13th at a Euros/World Cup. 

And he’s had arguably the best squad of any England Manager for 20 years and maybe longer. 
  • edited July 1
    England at major tournaments the last forty years (grouped by individual managers):

84 DNQ
    86 8th
    88 7th
    90 4th

92 7th
    94 DNQ

96 3rd

98 9th

00 11th

02 6th
    04 5th
    06 7th
    (average - 6th)

08 DNQ

10 13th

12 5th
    14 26th
    16 12th
    (average - 14th)

18 4th
    20 2nd
    22 6th
    24 8th or better

GS now inarguably the manager with the best tournament results for England in the last 40 years.
    I know you love a stat Callum, but how on God’s green earth do you finish 13th at a Euros/World Cup. 

And he’s had arguably the best squad of any England Manager for 20 years and maybe longer. 
    Well to be completely honest, read it online. 

I assume it’s calculated by taking all the teams who got knocked out in that particular round and compare their points total, goal difference etc. to give them a final ranking - similar to how they determine the best third placed teams e.g. Hungary 17th & Croatia 18th in this year’s competition.
  • edited July 1
    Well that was fortunate wasn't it? I think the biggest factor was Slovakia went deeper and deeper in the second half. We did play better in that half but that was a big factor. I also think that we have to play Saka as a wing back. Trippier doesn't work there and the only other option is Gomez. But Saka is a top player who knows the position. Southgate is very stubborn to the point of utter stupidity but he also seems to be very lucky too.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Come on lads and lasses, it definitely picked up in the second half. Disallowed goal, Kane’s missed header, Rice hit the post - I always felt we’d score even though we left it late. 
    Mind you, we’ll lose to Switzerland if Southgate doesn’t shake thing up quite a lot. 
    You say disallowed goal like there was some doubt. Miles offside. 
    Two or three feet. But it was a good move spoiled by Foden going too early, unnecessarily. 
  • Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Come on lads and lasses, it definitely picked up in the second half. Disallowed goal, Kane’s missed header, Rice hit the post - I always felt we’d score even though we left it late. 
    Mind you, we’ll lose to Switzerland if Southgate doesn’t shake thing up quite a lot. 
    Yep, we had one more shot on target in the second half than we did in the first. It came in the 95th minute.
    Stats. 
    We played better, created a couple more opportunities. Why do England down when they improve? I knew we’d score and go on to win. It was pretty obvious tbh. Left it late though (I was just starting to get worried 😂)!
  • Would just be nice to see England play well. If any of the players or management think that was okay then they are seriously deluded.

Southgate gets paid a collosal amount to do a mediocre job for a post that could be part time. He is a 'lucky' manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 1
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Yep, we had one more shot on target in the second half than we did in the first. It came in the 95th minute.
    Stats. 
    We played better, created a couple more opportunities. Why do England down when they improve? I knew we’d score and go on to win. It was pretty obvious tbh. Left it late though (I was just starting to get worried 😂)!
    You knew that, with 85 seconds to go did you? Assume you had a bet on it then?

• I thought the ref dealt with the play acting at the end well. He should have sent a Slovakia player off for a second booking but refs normally don't. Guehi was a bit lucky the Slovakian scorer didn't go down as they would have had a penalty and he would have been sent off.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Stats. 
    Good for you having a positive mindset, but it definitely was not "pretty obvious" we would score and win the game right up until 95th minute. 
  • If Trippier is injured for Switzerland game, will be interesting to see what Southgate does with defence. 

Go for Konsa (in place of Guehi) and Gomez, then keep the rest same. Or Konsa and Saka, then Palmer on the right in Saka normal position.
  • I’m fed up of shouting at the telly for Gareth to get a sub on, I don’t know what’s going on with his decision making, when it seems change is needed

Lets hope Gareth doesn't feel that his tactics worked and we are treated to more of the same.

• England at major tournaments the last forty years (grouped by individual managers):

84 DNQ
    86 8th
    88 7th
    90 4th

92 7th
    94 DNQ

96 3rd

98 9th

00 11th

02 6th
    04 5th
    06 7th
    (average - 6th)

08 DNQ

10 13th

12 5th
    14 26th
    16 12th
    (average - 14th)

18 4th
    20 2nd
    22 6th
    24 8th or better

FIFA release full rankings after each World Cup. 
    Believe they even retrospectively ranked all the historical Finals as well. 
  • I thought the big difference was having Toney on. He stays up front and occupies defenders and wins duels so Kane can get more involved like he did for the winner 

For the large part we controlled the game but had no cutting edge thankfully we have a player like Bellingham who can and does pull out moments of magic to win games 

Agreed - been like watching Charlton with stockley up top on his own 
  • For whatever reason playing Foden and Bellingham together doesn't work. 
    I think dropping Foden for Toney would give Bellingham more room to operate and also give Kane better support up front. 
    Certainly worth trying. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Southbank said:
    We have really struggled to beat 2 countries with populations of 6 million. Next we are playing a country with a population of 8 million and have to beat them. Is there anything that suggests we can improve enough to contest a big country if we ever get to play them, Germany, Spain or France? Because I have seen nothing to suggest we will.
    Are you being serious lol!... thinking the overall population has an impact on the game?
  • For whatever reason playing Foden and Bellingham together doesn't work. 
    I think dropping Foden for Toney would give Bellingham more room to operate and also give Kane better support up front. 
    Certainly worth trying. 
    Possibly, but only if Citeh sign Toney before Saturday. 
  • edited July 1
    The second half was much better. The first half was dreadful. I am thinking of the offside goal which Foden needed to delay his run by half a second, the Kane header which he scores from 8 times out of 10, hitting the post and the goal itself. These were all top notch chances. Slovakia got it right at the beginning of the half, being defensively minded yes, but having an attacking outlet and continuing to press but as the game wore on they sat deeper and deeper and when they did get it forwards they were starved of support.

These are the tactics of international football, but they gave England a chance and we took it. The question is, was it them or was it us. It was probably a bit of both but I liked it when Saka played on the left. Look it isn't ideal but he is a decent option there where options are severely limited and we have a player like Palmer who can play his original role. I thought Gordon should have come on with at least 25 minutes to go. We are not going to see Bellingham or Kane substituted until they are dead on their feet. This is probably a good thing and they showed the reasons why yesterday. 

I am not gutted Guehi misses the next game. He looks to me like he has a mistake in him and slows down our play although to give him credit, it was his flick that set up Bellingham and those are the flicks that wrong foot defences. Southgate only reminded us how stubborn he is and we are not going to see him change. We are probably going to continue to see England stumble through this tournament under him but they do have ability so anything is still possible. If he gets more balance on the left it might make a big difference. You have to pose problems for opponents accross the park and you can't have areas where opponents feel too comfortable. 
  • Southbank said:
    We have really struggled to beat 2 countries with populations of 6 million. Next we are playing a country with a population of 8 million and have to beat them. Is there anything that suggests we can improve enough to contest a big country if we ever get to play them, Germany, Spain or France? Because I have seen nothing to suggest we will.
    Are you being serious lol!... thinking the overall population has an impact on the game?
    We should have a bigger pool of better players to pick from. There are exceptions but the countries with large population do win more. Brazil, Germany, France, Italy, Spain Argentina.
  • edited July 1
    Southbank said:
    We should have a bigger pool of better players to pick from. There are exceptions but the countries with large population do win more. Brazil, Germany, France, Italy, Spain Argentina.
    Yeah but you still only need 26-players...

I mean going by the World Population; Spain - Argentina are 33rd and 34th respectively. Sorry I cant think of a more terrible take, its genuinely laughable

What about the difference between males / females in those figures? - Age brackets?

Am actually hoping I'm being whooshed!!
  • Southbank said:
    America, China, Russia, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Nigeria?

• Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Stats. 
    You knew that, with 85 seconds to go did you? Assume you had a bet on it then?

I was being a bit tongue in cheek in that post, obvs, but after the offside ‘goal’ I said what I said - we were in a bar in Crete with about twelve England fans in total. 

And yes, I was getting a bit nervous towards the end. 😬 

But I’m trying to do what my German mate tells me German fans do. They were rubbish before the tournament, but the collective consciousness is that it doesn’t matter, and they’ll still win the tournament. He’s a dual national, and supports England as well, and his German positivity is rubbing off on me slightly. He tells me that the positivity is in their culture, and it’s one of the reasons (or even the main reason) why they win more tournaments than we do. 

Collective positivity, versus our collective negativity.

I think he’s got a point. It may also be why Southgate is so negative, it’s part of the same collective negative mentality. We’ll only be positive after we’ve won a tournament, so we’re trapped in a negative feedback loop. 

-Prof Seed. (lol)