Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Things That Annoy You thread - part 2

1…145146147148149151»

Comments

  • gringo
    gringo Posts: 1,629
    edited 10:21AM
    Carter said:
    Gribbo said:
    Energy companies (Octopus) constantly wanting to set your Direct Debit too high.

    We were paying £140 a month, but they asked us to increase it to £290. I cranked it up to £220, and now they're asking for £234, even though their estimated annual cost works out at just under £180 a month.

    All seems a bit scammy to me
    They were doing the same to me and I had accumulated a decent surplus. It was surprisingly simple to get a rebate from them. 
    They are all fuckers for it, they regularly, say quarterly will send an email telling us they are upping the direct debit. I then send an email back telling them not to. 

    Its simply and cynically to inflate their books, nothing to do with making sure we are using energy responsibly. 

    I'm happy to go back to receiving a paper bill and go down the post office to pay it if this continues and they can employ someone to keep an eye on it instead of running a formula upping the amount of money they take from me each month that always leaves me (them) hugely in credit 
    When British Gas do that to me I just go online and reduce it to the amount I think is needed to cover my usage.
    Thats what I do with Octopus, never had any problems and when the surplus is too much they just return money back into your account when you request. The annual cost is not obviously not equal throughout the year and the energy costs in the winter much higher.
  • LenGlover
    LenGlover Posts: 32,420
    Just don’t do direct debits and take your own meter readings and pay on an invoice basis.

    Scam avoidance