Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

9 Games in - just how tedious will the Premier League be again this year?

As for the past 5 years, my belief that the top 7 teams, with the usual suspects plus the obligatory one suprise package, are utterly predictable, as is being confirmed again.
OK, some momentary excitement could be argued with the order of the top 7, but essentially its shaping up to be the same yet again.

To me it is a ridiculous league with the most slanted playing field outside the joy that is Scottish Premier League.

Comments

• Who's the seventh team?
  • edited October 2011
    The suprise package at the moment appears to be Newcastle.
    There's always one, nuzzling up to the big 6, but they dont last.
  • Yeah, weren't we 7th once?! ;-)
  • I have to be honest I think Manchester city gatecrashing the top 4 and now destroying all in their way is pretty entertaining. They are playing football on a par with Barcelona and the annihilation of united was top drawer.
  • I don't watch it and don't follow it. Only did  in the past when we were in it. Been stale and predictable for yrs.
  • Agree with tangoflash. More to do with money and over inflated ego's than sport.
  • I wouldn't mind watching some of the games but unless you happen to be playing Man Utd you don't get on the telly much, even in the Prem.
  • There's a lot not right about it but weekends aren't the same when the internationals get in the way. I like watching it, i think the quality has dipped the last couple of years and man city are my preferred side to watch. Sundays thumping of man u was funny and it's only goiung to get funnier as they start to dominate and put utd in the shade. Having said that, we thought Chelsea were going to become untouchable so who knows what will happen.  

• Dont mind the spectacle to be honest, enjoy MOTD, will watch the occasional game and like to see the English teams doing well in the champs league; something which wouldnt happen without the money in the Prem
  • 7 teams makes it sound more interesting than it is. The fact the 4th team with the bookies is 50 to 1 after just 8 games shows there are really only 3 teams in with any chance. With the other 3 big teams fighting for 4th spot.   
  • Sponsored links:

• the relegation battle is usually the most interesting thing about the PL - should be a good one this year
  • 7 teams makes it sound more interesting than it is. The fact the 4th team with the bookies is 50 to 1 after just 8 games shows there are really only 3 teams in with any chance. With the other 3 big teams fighting for 4th spot.   
    You're right there - only the chosen few have a shot at the title, but the same 6 seem to be there every year. So predictable, so what is the point of all the hype.
    Relegation battles are the best bit, which in itself is a damning reflection of the ''best league in the world''.

Hope Man City sheikh things up but it would be more of a suprise if all that money DIDNT change the order.
    I just dont see the fun in it, and havent for years.
  • I have to be honest I think Manchester city gatecrashing the top 4 and now destroying all in their way is pretty entertaining. They are playing football on a par with Barcelona and the annihilation of united was top drawer.
    Agree (not 'This')
  • Isn't the top league always going to be like this? Has it not always been like this?

The thing with relegation and promotion, when it is not distorted by cash injections, is that the best teams leave (go up) and the weakest teams leave (go down) this should always ensure that there is a different top three and a different bottom three. However, if there is no such exit from the top division (promotion) then the best team will still be there the following season and would, just by virtue of being the best over the last 38 games, be a favourite to be the best over the next 38 games.

In fact, unless there is serious meddling in financial terms, there should be little variation in final league position from season to season. If the full season is a true reflection of a teams ability then the next season there should be a similar outcome expected. Over a longer period of seasons you might expect a greater deviation, and if the money was spread more evenly throughout the leagues the promoted teams might stand a chance of challenging, but if a team is the fifteenth best over 38 games it is unlikely it will be the 4th best over the next 38 games.

Even without the distortion of money from the Champions League and the increased income from divisional placings, the players will choose to go to the best team that will have them. Thus Man Utd, Chelsea et.al. will always stand a better chance of signing the best players if they have finished as title contenders, as most players want to be in winning teams.

From memory, the 70s and the 80s were dominated by Liverpool who won six of the ten titles in the 80s, four of those in the 70s, and they only finished out of the top three once in that 20 year period.
  • Nothing boring about watching David Silva's pass for City's 6th on Sunday
  • A reflection of the possible change in old order. Sport TV here in Portugal were not originally showing a 3PM Premier League game this weekend, midweek they decided to show the City game tomorrow...
  • The Premier League is actually pretty competitive compared to alot of the major leagues around Europe.
  • The Premier League is actually pretty competitive compared to alot of the major leagues around Europe.
    In the last 10 years England have had 3 different champions. This is the same as Italy and Spain. France and Holland have had 4 and Germany 5.

There will always be a few top teams, it just varies how many there are at any given time.
  • i'd say it's more competitive at the top end this year than it has been for a long time. There are many things wrong with the distribution of sky money but i think to claim that the premier league is not good or exciting to watch is stretching things. It was boring for us after a while because we couldn't go any further but to be fair, have we ever been able to compete at the very top? Not really.
  • Are Le Arsenal in the top 7? at the mo its doubtful, i went on sunday and they were shocking it was embarrasing

Im enjoying City thrashing everyone at the mo and for 1 season then maybe will get a bit bored

• Sponsored links:

• I actually had to look at the Prem table to check this and was surprised to see that Arsenal are indeed 7th at the moment.
  • I actually had to look at the Prem table to check this and was surprised to see that Arsenal are indeed 7th at the moment.
    TBF i didnt know i thought they were 8th, also think they will just about scrape 6th or 7th this year
    In the last 10 years England have had 3 different champions. This is the same as Italy and Spain. France and Holland have had 4 and Germany 5.

There will always be a few top teams, it just varies how many there are at any given time.
    Does this make it OK then?
    Just because its similar to Italy and Spain doesnt make it any more interesting or less drearily predictable.
    Wasnt there something special about one of the French champions?
  • i'd say it's more competitive at the top end this year than it has been for a long time. There are many things wrong with the distribution of sky money but i think to claim that the premier league is not good or exciting to watch is stretching things. It was boring for us after a while because we couldn't go any further but to be fair, have we ever been able to compete at the very top? Not really.
    The point being made is more that the top 7 are utterly predictable. You seem to agree with that idea as you say it was boring that we had to play for survival, which is the same for every team outside the top 7. Which makes games much less exciting than they would be if everyone set out aiming and realistically capable of, being Champions.
    If you like that and find it a fascinating league because of it, then good for you.
  • edited October 2011
    We finished 7th in the premier league , I suppose it was exciting then.
    I love my football and the premiership is good stuff and I'm happy to waste money on my Sky subscription to see loads of football as and when I chose.
    I remember yearning for live footy as a youngster, when we were getting 4-5k gates, now we're at a lower level and getting 15k and I can inject as much football into me as I want thanks to Sky. Yes there is a lot wrong with what Sky do with their money but there is an awful lot right with the amount of coverage , I mean we're 3rd tier now and get more coverage than when we were top flight in the late 80s !
    And the standard of football has risen all thru the spectrum imo with the extra dough increasing the top foreign imports and better players being pushed down the football structure.
    Good point by KHA about the cream always rises to the top , who would have predicted Newcastle top 4 this far into the season , I know they won't finish there but fairplay or arsenal this low
    I love Skys Sat/sunday premiership games and long may the coverage continue, I don't find it boring at all but each to their own.
  • What's with the suppose? Everything was exciting under Curbs wasn't it Ohhahh? 
  • I'd say having a "top seven" is about right for a league of 20 . If you had a situation where any team could realistically win the division then that would point to a general lack of quality. Also the way the money is distributed from Sky is actually pretty fair, and is done so with the intention that the league remains competive, to see what happens when the tv money really is unevenly distributed just look at Spain. More chance of Motherwell winning the SPL than barca/real not winnin la liga
  • Think this season could the most interesting it has been for years given that Man City seem to have finally arrived as genuine contenders, if not favourites even.

They have spent a fortune, but they're playing some very good stuff and Silva is class.

Actually that is not neccesarily the case. the guardian have a couple of articles up where someone has analysed the leagues and has shown that the top flight in england is not the most competitive (i think it was one of the least competitive of the major leagues in europe) it also suggested that is is less competitive now than it was in previous decades. Okay it is just making points with statistics and that is not always the best way of arguing you point, but it is interesting as an analysis.

• Another boring premiership game chelsea v arsenal