Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New F1 season

Bouncing back off the Senna movie thread, anyone on here tuning in for the Oz GP this weekend (either live or delayed)?

Think it could be a classic season - seemingly (from testing at least) Red Bull and Mclaren are close enough to give Lewis and Jenson a shout,and Lotus and Mercedes look quick. Never mind having Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Button, Raikonnen and Schumacher all on the same grid. Personally think Hamilton will bounce back and run Vettel close. Any views?

Comments

• Hopefully McLaren have closed the gap to Red Bull. Also hope Ferrari are as hopeless as they seem to be in pre season testing, cannot stand them. Agree it should be an exciting season & have purchased Sky Sports so I do not miss a race might even stay up tonight to watch Practice session 1 at 1.00am.
  • You can see just how much money Sky have thrown at F1, almost like there are £10 notes making up the set
  • In theory it should be interesting. I think there will be a record number of previous champions taking part this year. However, will it live up to the hype or be another series of boring processions?
  • as long as i get to see alonso being miserable throughout the season I'll be happy.
  • I just hope that it's more exciting than the last few seasons where there's been one dominant car and then a big gap to everything else.

/yawn
  • F1= ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • A few of my friends say ZZZZZZzzzzz about F1. For me snooker, golf etc are classic ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz. The scream of an F1 engine in the flesh is about as thrilling as you can get for me (along with CAFC winning of course). Each to their own.
  • But this thread is about F1 not golf or snooker so a large ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz is required.
  • Am really more into MotoGP but will be interested to see how Sky present F1. All the off-track arguing and wrangling does get tiresome though.
  • I just hope that it's more exciting than the last few seasons where there's been one dominant car and then a big gap to everything else.

/yawn
    last season was like that but the season before was very close. I think 4 drivers went into the last race with a chance of winning.

F1 has become much better in the last few years and most races are pretty exciting with lots of overtakes.

• Sponsored links:

• I don't mind it really. I like listening to the early morning ones from the other side of the world in bed on the radio as I drift in and out. Certainly a glamorous sport and I'd go to one if I had the invite.....

/yawn
    last season was like that but the season before was very close. I think 4 drivers went into the last race with a chance of winning.

F1 has become much better in the last few years and most races are pretty exciting with lots of overtakes.

The overtaking I saw last season though was just down to the movable rear wing and that seemed to provide such a boost to straightline speed it was almost impossible not to overtake when you had it. That was only mildly more exciting than not overtaking at all. Not sure if they've done anything this year to moderate the effects of that system?

• Doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid. Can't understand why the bbc want to stop covering the likes of the grand national which attracts big ratings but continues to throw money at f1
  • Been to the opener at Melbourne twice before, 2004 + 2010. Absolutley awesome event to be at! 10 x better than watching on TV. The speed is completley un-inmaginable until you see it first hand.

Think that this year will be a very close one between Hamilton and Vettel, with a few others thrown in for good measure.

Looking forward to it
  • Been to the opener at Melbourne twice before, 2004 + 2010. Absolutley awesome event to be at! 10 x better than watching on TV. The speed is completley un-inmaginable until you see it first hand.

Think that this year will be a very close one between Hamilton and Vettel, with a few others thrown in for good measure.

Looking forward to it
    was not so much the speed I found impressive, more how quickly they slowed down.

• Doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid. Can't understand why the bbc want to stop covering the likes of the grand national which attracts big ratings but continues to throw money at f1
    F1 is the second biggest TV sport in the UK after football. Grand National is tiny in terms of TV viewing.
    F1 is the second biggest TV sport in the UK after football. Grand National is tiny in terms of TV viewing.
    Rubbish!

The Grand National drew 8.8 million viewers last year. F1 averages under 5 mil.

Rubbish!

But there are 20 races.....

• The overtaking I saw last season though was just down to the movable rear wing and that seemed to provide such a boost to straightline speed it was almost impossible not to overtake when you had it. That was only mildly more exciting than not overtaking at all. Not sure if they've done anything this year to moderate the effects of that system?

The tracks where it was too easy to overtake I imagine that they will shorten the time the rear wing flap can be open.

DRS (the flappy thing in the wing), KERS (boost) and even the tyres are all designed to create overtaking opertunities but the drivers still have to make it happen. The aerodynamics are designed to make the cars fast due to high downforce but it becomes very difficult for another car to follow closely and then subsequently overtake. The way I see it is that the overtaking aids just help the drivers to overcome the problems caused by the overall design of the cars.

I'd guess a that lot of people who say F1 is boring either are basing their opinion on races from a 5 to 10 years ago or don't actually like motor racing anyway!
  • Looking forward to it, although I don't normally really get into it the first few races due to the times of the races.

Disappointed BBC have lost half their coverage though, the team of Brundle/DC/Humphries and Jordan was brilliant
  • Sponsored links:

Rubbish!

Yes thats exactly it. In terms of cumulative viewing, F1 is second only to football in the UK and worldwide.

I work in advertising and presented this to a client last week who was looking at partnering with the Sky Sports F1 channel.

The biggest races - such as when Hamilton won the title, will attract c10-11m viewers, Canada is also always a big one as it is in peak time on Sunday evening and will be around the 7-8m mark.

Other than the Grand National - horse racing is tiny on TV.
  • edited March 2012
    Clashes with Mothers Day!! :)

And there is no SKy F1 Channel at my mothers house! Boo I say!
  • Respect the views of others but having been at cheltenham all week you get far more excitment here than you ever would watching f1
  • Each to their own but I have never watched it and don't intend to start now. Can't see how it is a proper sport. Fastest car normally wins so what's the point?
  • Looking forward to it immensely.

Will be at Montreal GP in June and taking in a NASCR race the week before as a warm up.

Good chance I will be at Le Mans the week after Montreal and will be at Brands for the BTCC on April 1st as well.

Motor Sport almost as good as football.

• edited March 2012
    Doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid. Can't understand why the bbc want to stop covering the likes of the grand national which attracts big ratings but continues to throw money at f1
    Rubbish!

Yes thats exactly it. In terms of cumulative viewing, F1 is second only to football in the UK and worldwide.

I work in advertising and presented this to a client last week who was looking at partnering with the Sky Sports F1 channel.

The biggest races - such as when Hamilton won the title, will attract c10-11m viewers, Canada is also always a big one as it is in peak time on Sunday evening and will be around the 7-8m mark.

Other than the Grand National - horse racing is tiny on TV.
    But you said the "Grand National is tiny in terms of TV viewing" - your words - and you were wrong, it's huge. End of chat.
  • Yet more TV I won't be able to watch thanks to Murdoch and his goal of stamping on people who refuse to pay £50 a month to watch sport. Just at least trade us back the Cricket or some football games.

I was starting to enjoy F1 as well..
  • If you ever get the chance to go to a grand prix, do it....amazing atmosphere, the cars are so quick (they look like they are crawling when doing 70mph in the pits).....and the skill of the drivers is immense....

Great weekends entertainment....

I'm really looking forward to skys coverage, should really improve the viewing experience
  • You wouldn't have had any F1 on telly if it wasn't for Sky coming in to rescue the BBC deal
  • To be honest I didn't know much about the ins and outs of the deal and why, so probably should have stayed out of this thread.

But surely there was no way F1 wouldn't be shown on TV if it wasn't for Sky coming to the rescue and saving the day? It would be disastrous for F1 if it wasn't on TV full stop and by being on BBC it would surely have been OK just with a few less millions?