Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2012 - Panorama Documentary

Genuine threat or scare mongering? Up until the attack on the asian fans at Metalist I was convinced it was largely hot air.

Obviously when the cameras roll the police will be much more proactive. Wouldnt fancy foreign fans chances outside the ground though.

Comments

• Can you please explain a little more of what the documentary was about for the benefit of those who aren't able, or didn't see it?
  • edited May 2012
    Along with the attack on the Asian fans , the thing that made me feel the most disturbed was the way that bloke tried to convince himself and the reporter that it was not happening " Oh no they were not doing the Nazi salute , they were just pointing". Absolute joke that FIFA gave them the tournament. Won't be surprised to hear racist abuse during the Ukraine England game.
  • Wouldnt fancy foreign fans chances outside the ground though.
    I think that's going to be the biggest threat to fans without a doubt. Doesn't look good, would be interesting to see if any of the refs stop a game upon hearing racist chanting.
  • Can you please explain a little more of what the documentary was about for the benefit of those who aren't able, or didn't see it?
    It was titled "Stadiums of Hate" and focused on the neo nazi element within Polish and Ukrainian ultras.

Ended with 4-5 asian students sitting in the family stand at Metalist being attacked by home fans whilst the police and stewards watched.

• Was it on tonight? So, should be Iplayer tomorrow.
  • I think that by showing this, it will just stoke things up
  • edited May 2012
    Absolutely disgraceful behaviour,there was young kid making monkey sound. The poor people at the end went to see a game and was attacked how can the Uefa allowe a county like that host a massive tournament
  • I'm surprised this is the first time the media has mentioned the problems in eastern Europe. I'm not surprised by uefa,after all they weren't to bothered about Spain
  • Journalist stated that every match he attended had mass crowds doing the Nazi salute and shouting sieg heil. Showed plenty of video footage to back up this claim. Also the asian fans who were attacked were supporting the same team as the thugs who attacked them.
  • Scare mongering, but god knows why there was no segregation at the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• That bit at the end was frighteningly awful.

There were some Asian students who were studying in the city supporting the home team from the family section. Had the home team colours and scarves on. The home tram ultras spotted them, blocked them from both sides, then just steamed in and kicked the Shit out of them. No one helping nothing. Weren't just one or two attacking, but dozens, and some poor ones must have taken 20-30 blows, and that's just what the camera captured. Terrifying.
  • I watched the programme and to be honest questions need to be asked of UEFA why did they award the Euro's to either Poland or Ukraine . Racism in eastern europe has been known about for Years .

When Platini was asked for an interview he declined what a surprise there then
    Would have made no difference to the asian students. They were wearing Metalist scarves and were attacked by Metalist ultras whilst the police and stewards watched.

If you watch it again one old boy in the same row is actually laughing.

Once they were patched up they were basically left to get on with it. Police not interested.

• edited May 2012
    I watched the programme and to be honest questions need to be asked of UEFA why did they award the Euro's to either Poland or Ukraine . Racism in eastern europe has been known about for Years .

When Platini was asked for an interview he declined what a surprise there then
    The word corruption springs to mind.

It's quite clear that the police really don't give a toss and nor do UEFA. There was a Ross Kemp documentary a few years back about violence in Polish football, it's very much in the ascendancy and nobody seems to be doing anything.

UEFA seem to be claiming that the Euros will help to iron out any problems within the game which is frightening.
  • edited May 2012
    Having said that the police did nothing, I'm not so sure they would have been much use. The Cracovia mob panelled them earlier in the program.
  • Must have been a pretty big bung for Uefa to give this lot the euro's
  • That attack at the end was really scary, there's clearly a small hardcore element in Ukraine that wants all brown and black skinned people out, and will use violence to achieve its aim.

It's not long ago that monkey chanting and abuse was common over here, and our far right also used football as a tool, I remember when Charlton drew at Chelsea in 1989 (the game that kept us up and ultimately relegated them) seeing National Front people recruiting outside.
  • I'm worried that with all this hype around how bad the Polish/Ukranian mobs are it will just encourage them to "live up" to their reputation and make things worse. The explanation from the host nations seems to be "racism exists everywhere" and yes, of course it does, but it's a question of degrees. Intolerance is generally much higher (and it isn't just racism but also homophobia and sexism) in these countries - to think a football tournament will eradicate these deep seeded issues in a society is at best naieve and at worst potentially lethal.
    Scare Mongering? Are you sure ? try telling those asian guys that.
    Jesus wept.

Of course it's scare mongering. It's shown a week before the tournament has started!

• Sponsored links:

• Unfortunately after watching the programme I am not too surprised about what is going on out their, For years there has been racist attacks on people in that part of the world. If you watch the Ross Kemp on gangs you can see how bad things can get in those parts, but if you remember back to the hooligan days of English football the voilence was bad. UEFA have there reasons for giving them the right to hosts the Euro's, maybe to help stamp out this sort of behaviour or to help the economy who knows. All I know is this country lives in a very understanding society(which I am happy about) where as alot of other countries don't and I believe one of the main reasons the police don't help out people being racially abused or attacked is because they don't disagree with it.
  • Last time this topic came up, it was suggested by some that any England fans who end up in troule out there must have had it coming. Hope people realise how stupid those comments were now.

What grates on me, is that it is the usual blatant scare-mongering in the lead up to a tournament. More justified this time than most previous tournaments granted. BUT the media/FA/general public did not give a flying one when 2,000 of us travelled out just 2 years ago for a qualifier, the majority of whom returned without any problems.
    Jesus wept.

Of course it's scare mongering. It's shown a week before the tournament has started!

• Last time this topic came up, it was suggested by some that any England fans who end up in troule out there must have had it coming. Hope people realise how stupid those comments were now.

What grates on me, is that it is the usual blatant scare-mongering in the lead up to a tournament. More justified this time than most previous tournaments granted. BUT the media/FA/general public did not give a flying one when 2,000 of us travelled out just 2 years ago for a qualifier, the majority of whom returned without any problems.
    With this being a major tournament with a lot of eyes on the country, the security will be far better than 2 years ago.
  • Think it goes to prove how little thought the footballing authorities actually give to where tournaments are held and crass stupidity in awarding it to a country where right wing football hooliganism is part and parcel of the game. FIFA, UEFA and to some extent the footballing authorities here are on the whole run by a bunch of people that I wouldn't let organise my sock draw. The decision to let it take place in the Ukraine is second only in stupidity to awarding the world cup to Quatar. The mind boggles.
  • Russia is hardly going to be angelic either.
  • edited May 2012
    Russia is hardly going to be angelic either.
    Quite. I'd forgotten about that little gem.
  • Money talks these days SHG - end of!!!

Latest line of bizzare decions down the years though:

England v Tunisia in Marseille anyone?
    Vs Germany is Charloi (sp) in 2000.

And I dare say Euro 2020 will be in Turkey.

Yet England were threatened with not hosting a tournament when a few fans ran on the pitch to celebrate against Turkey at SOL etc.
  • Scare mongering to an extent but I think they are right to highlight what is happening out there.

Every tournament something like this comes up, everyone was told not to go to South Africa because you will get shot, we were told that in Germany all the Polish, German and Russian hooligan firms were planning big meet ups.

That said what was shown at the end of the film was shocking however seens like that are quite familiar even in other more developed nations, Italy and Spain spring to mind, I have seen racist abuse out there first hand and it is disgusting. But we also shouldn't forget that it wasn't that long ago scenes not too dissimilar to that were seen over here, my hope is that over time like in our country it will die down (as it will never be truly eliminated, there will always be a minority of idiots) but that will only come about if the governments and other organisations work to achieve that.
  • Think it goes to prove how little thought the footballing authorities actually give to where tournaments are held and crass stupidity in awarding it to a country where right wing football hooliganism is part and parcel of the game. FIFA, UEFA and to some extent the footballing authorities here are on the whole run by a bunch of people that I wouldn't let organise my sock draw. The decision to let it take place in the Ukraine is second only in stupidity to awarding the world cup to Quatar. The mind boggles.
    Do you really think the FA, UEFA or FIFA give a sh*t about the fans going to the games, all they care about is the money aspect of it. I bet platini won't give a monkeys if anything happens to the fans as long as the money is rolling in from the tv revenues and sponsorship deals.