Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Hammond in talks

edited August 2012 in Rumours
Southampton fan at work informs me we are in talks with Dean Hammond, by all accounts he is a good box to box player, and scores goals, this would suggest Stephens is now Villa bound.

Comments

• Hammond'd be a decent replacement for Stephens. Never scores but is a good tidier upper and is capable of a decent pass or two.

• edited August 2012
    tbf Stephens isnt exactly prolific
  • To old would prefer somebody younger as he is replacing at 22 year old
  • tbf Stephens isnt exactly prolific

true
  • Experienced, hard working, got the tee shirt. Very happy if this comes off. Still need one more CM though ?
  • 10 goals in 124 games for Saints, score goals but not often
  • Experienced, hard working, got the tee shirt. Very happy if this comes off. Still need one more CM though ?

Defo need another CM. If we can get Boyd or someone like that in it is job done. AND there should still be dosh left to pay the leccy bill etc.

• Be very happy with him.As long as we keep Stephens as well

My thoughts exactly. I think they signed him from Colchester

• cafc4ever said:

To old would prefer somebody younger as he is replacing at 22 year old

Id prefer to sign a few more players that are peaking, rather than ones that will come good in 2 years. You only have to look at Wengers age policy to see it doesnt work
  • Sponsored links:

• tbf Stephens isnt exactly prolific

true
    But Hollands was quite prolific last season when he wasn't playing alongside Stephens. If acquiring Hammonds means we get an extra 7 or 8 goals from our central midfielders this season then seems like a good idea to me.
  • 124 games since 2009 for what has been a very strong Southampton team in that time, must be very decent.
  • 29 is perfect age for our current needs. Established pro who can help steady a newly promoted team. He will know what's expected and needed. If I'm honest I think we have lacked a "leader" on the pitch for some time. Jacko is just not vocal enough for my liking as a captain. Not saying Jacko should lose the armband but a defensive leader in the middle of the pitch is where a captain should be chosen. Imho
  • 29 is perfect age for our current needs. Established pro who can help steady a newly promoted team. He will know what's expected and needed. If I'm honest I think we have lacked a "leader" on the pitch for some time. Jacko is just not vocal enough for my liking as a captain. Not saying Jacko should lose the armband but a defensive leader in the middle of the pitch is where a captain should be chosen. Imho

THIS

If he has as much impact for us, as Parker did spurs last season.. he'll be a great signing
  • MrLargo said:

tbf Stephens isnt exactly prolific

true
    But Hollands was quite prolific last season when he wasn't playing alongside Stephens. If acquiring Hammonds means we get an extra 7 or 8 goals from our central midfielders this season then seems like a good idea to me.
    Correct: Hughes playing alongside Hollands allowed Holly to get forward where he was very effective . The presence of a Hughes/Hammond alongside Hollands looks a better proposition to me than a Hollands/Stephens duo .. sell Stephens quickly before Lambert wakes up from his period of rose coloured glasses illusion
  • edited August 2012
    cafc4ever said:

To old would prefer somebody younger as he is replacing at 22 year old

29 is too old? Football Manager and the real world are very different things my friend
  • Passes the 6' test.

Plenty of experience and 'grown' with Southampton with 2 successive promotions.

Might not be Prem standard - but no doubt grafting box to box player, knows his way round the game.
  • Just heard this from the same reliable source that told me about Fuller 3 days before it happened. Downside Stephen's deffo going 2-2.5 mil.
  • Any other snippets of info Greenie ?
  • If we get that for Dale that is a great bit of business and good luck to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Any other snippets of info Greenie ?

No mate, thats it, the person was accurate about Fuller well before it was on here so I'm inclined to believe them, sorry thats all I have been told.
  • edited August 2012
    All over their forum, sad to see him go, and they are suggesting Hammond is a better player than Stephens.
  • edited August 2012
    Would be good if we got him lost dale and got another midfielder in aswell that had played in the prem
  • The other midfielder coming in is probably the worst kept secret on this board NLA
  • So this was why Powell was at Stevenage v Southampton on Tuesday!
  • Only if it's the same player mate
  • I'm glad nobody has suggested Hammond will be part of a deal that takes Hamer to Saints...
  • Only if it's the same player mate

I can spot an ITK post when I see one. Who we talking here chaps ? ;0)

• I assume Nigel Reo Coker
  • Would be good if we got him lost dale and got another midfielder in aswell that had played in the prem

Reo..... r-e-e-eooooooooooo