Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paralympics

Just watching the swimming.

Comments

• over 100 swimming gold medlas to be won
  • edited August 2012
    Our lad Johnathan Fox who has cerebral palsy, just broke the world record in the 100m backstroke semi final.
  • that was awesome!
  • Just doesnt do anything for me.
    I know it's bad but really not bothered by this.
    Watched the opening ceremony though and thought that was good, but the sporting side is a bit 'meh' for me. (yes I know there are amazing stories)

Will try to watch some highlights tonight at home to see if it gets me.
  • Yes, I have to admit that SSN is far more exciting :-)
  • watching the wheelchair basketball at the moment (got tickets for next week) first time I have seen it and some great skills on show. A couple of the Spanish players are outstanding.
  • We've got tickets for Goalball next week which means we can queue to possibly see Wheelchair Rugby and Tennis, and possibly something else, no idea how the coding works or how many other people have the flexible open tickets but it's a great idea as long as there aren't empty seats where people are choosing not to bother!
  • http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/disability_sport/7586684.stm

Details on this link on what the different classifications are
  • Channel 4 coverage nowhere near as good as the BBC. Why on earth were they given the right to broadcast the Paralympics?. They aren't showing every sport like the BBC did. Paralympians deserve the same coverage as the Olympians.
  • Channel 4 coverage nowhere near as good as the BBC. Why on earth were they given the right to broadcast the Paralympics?. They aren't showing every sport like the BBC did. Paralympians deserve the same coverage as the Olympians.

Agreed. Really wanted to watch everything, but C4 only has three live feeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• We've got tickets for Goalball next week which means we can queue to possibly see Wheelchair Rugby and Tennis, and possibly something else, no idea how the coding works or how many other people have the flexible open tickets but it's a great idea as long as there aren't empty seats where people are choosing not to bother!

We've got tickets for Goalball on Tuesday evening, apparently it's quite exciting live (I looked it up on YouTube and it didn't look great but a friend re-assured me).

Wheelchair rugby on the other hand is quality, and pretty brutal. I think it's in the disabled particupant specific sports like this that the Paralympics will really shine. Swimming, running etc is essentially disabled athletes competing in the same disciplines we've just seen the worlds greatest able bodied athletes compete in.
  • I know this may come across the wrong, but has anyone else seen some of this coverage and thought "I wonder what disability he/she's got then?"
  • Off_it said:

I know this may come across the wrong, but has anyone else seen some of this coverage and thought "I wonder what disability he/she's got then?"

Have to admit offit I have too, just watched the swimming 50m freestyle final though and the Brazilian fella was amazing!
  • Off_it said:

I know this may come across the wrong, but has anyone else seen some of this coverage and thought "I wonder what disability he/she's got then?"

Just sitting here with my old man and said the same. Some of the S10 athletes look completely able bodied.

Absolutely inspiring stuff tho.
  • edited August 2012
  • How low can you get, that Spanish basketball team in Sydney.

C4 bid more money and promised to show 3 times as many hours than the Beeb for the Paralympics
  • Due to circumstances I have two all day passes for Excel on Sunday available to anyone who wants them, £5 the pair. Details of events below. Includes travelcards if you need them, inbox me.

09:00-14:00 Boccia: preliminaries (PBO01)
    09:00-12:30 Sitting Volleyball: preliminaries (PVS09)
    09:30-14:45 Table Tennis: finals (PTT07)
    12:00-13:10 Powerlifting: finals (PPO09)
    14:00-17:30 Sitting Volleyball: preliminaries (PVS10) (inc Great Britain v Morrocco men)
    15:30-18:50 Boccia: preliminaries (PBO02)
    15:00-16:30 Powerlifting: finals (PPO10)
    16:30-22:45 Table Tennis: finals (PTT08)
    18:00-19:10 Powerlifting: finals (PPO11)
    19:00-22:30 Sitting Volleyball: preliminaries (PVS11) (inc Great Britain v Japan women)
  • aliwibble said:

Channel 4 coverage nowhere near as good as the BBC. Why on earth were they given the right to broadcast the Paralympics?. They aren't showing every sport like the BBC did. Paralympians deserve the same coverage as the Olympians.

C4 bid more money and promised to show 3 times as many hours than the Beeb for the Paralympics

Yeah, but I bet that doesnt take the bloody adverts into account!
  • all i got to say is that the human body is an amazing bit of kit!

i just watched a bird swimming with one arm and one leg and done the 50m sprint in under 40 seconds!

how anyone can say that doesnt do anything for them i dont understand myself, but there you go... just like the paralympics, it takes all sorts i suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:

At the Equestrian they announced their disabilty/reason they are not able bodied.

I don't think it is wrong for you to wonder Off_it. They should all be very proud of what they have achieved, and part of that is letting people know the issues they have faced and the journey they have had to make to get where they are.

• Blind football on at the moment. Fascinating stuff.
    Crowd must remain completely silent so players can hear the ball.
  • Valley11 said:

Blind football on at the moment. Fascinating stuff.

They should pay it at Fulham
  • Valley11 said:

They can control the ball better than most of the players in the local Sunday leagues !!
  • Valley11 said:

They should pay it at Fulham
    Cheers for that - I laughed out loud.
  • went to the Olympic Park today, fantasitc place - be a real shame to hand it over to a football team after the event, great atmosphere and a great day (thanks to the weather), only annoying thing was LOADS of empty seats in many arena's and absolutely no chance of being let in to any of them (even offering to pay), didn't spoil the day though, had a wander round the whole place and spent plenty in the megastore (well my little girl did!) the big screen is excellent and the bloke who comes on to gee up the crowd every now and again was very good, bit of a karaoke session at one point.

oh and the cable car from the O2 is brilliant, well worth it.
  • Can't wait to go tomorrow! I always thought thered be empty seats if they sell tickets to give you access to multiple venues but we'll see.
  • Suze - it's brilliant, we loved it, even just sitting watching the big screen was quality.....the empty seats / ticket thing was the only annoying bit, we got in the Coca Cola Beatbox thingy and got to the top and could see into the 'goalball' (I think) arena, which was about a third full, came out of there and went to ask if we could go in and just got a flat no, no tickets at all, there were hundreds of people who I'm sure would've happily filled it up (and pay for it), I wasn't looking to get in for free.

go on the cable car if you are thinking of it.
  • cool - can't wait. our tickets tomorrow are only for the athletics but our tickets next wednesday are the ones where we can go into anything. (except velodrome/stadium/aquatic centre) so we can go copper box, basketball arena and riverbank arena.

not sure if we'll go on the cable car for the tomorrow or next week as Dec already has been on it when he went to the excel for the boxing in the olympics (not got the hump about that at all *hmph*) and its a bit of an awkward journey from home to there just to go on it, so might save it for another time. sailed under it though on the tall ships and it does look awesome!
  • Valley11 said:

The wife's old manager scored the GB goal, and very good it was too...