Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stroppy Teenagers ... How Do You Deal With Them?

Comments

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Take away their booze, fags and/or drugs!

They'll be after mine then!! :)
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

You can bribe em to behave themselves! ; )
  • Options
    Threaten him that I'll take him to The Valley
  • Options
    Tell him his real uncle is Gary glitter and if he doesn't behave you'll invite him round for tea.
  • Options
    "When I was a boy of fourteen,my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.But when I got to twenty-one,I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
    Mark Twain

Being teenaged is an illness,they don't know what's going on and they're not in control of what they're doing.Fortunately,it's not terminal.
    In the meantime,say nothing and keep still.
  • Options

Leave them for your missus to deal with and get a hobby that requires you to spend hours alone in your shed or garage.

Or do like Josef Fritzel (except without the raping and associated other bad stuff of course).

lol i did wonder who would be the first to mention Fritzel
  • Options

Batter them.

in flour, baking powder and water then feed them to the homeless.

i've got a 9 year old who thinks he's 13....i'm dreading it.
  • Options
    I got my three kids Charlton season tickets when Les Read was in charge, that sorted them out!

They never misbehaved again, I can tell you.
  • Options
    Love the Mark Twain quote above, never heard it before.

With my elder kids, all I ever taught them was you can do what you want when you want but always be polite and smile. It worked ok.
  • Options
    I found that talk talk and talk .. about anything helped, be on 'their side' even if you're not .. they think that you 'dont understand' .. show that you do and TRY TO KEEP YOUR TEMPER IN CHECK. I was an enfant térrible and gave my old man a hell of a time . His aggressive reactions made me worse. If I knew then wot i no now. Good luck
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ive got a 17 yo boy and 14 yo girl.
    Boy statted being a div at 15 so hes a couple of yeard in credit. Girl is a dream (so far).
    Both are pefect manors wise around other people but can push it indoors.

I assure you the best thing you can do to get you own back is do what we did, have another one.

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

You can bribe em to behave themselves! ; )

Leave them for your missus to deal with and get a hobby that requires you to spend hours alone in your shed or garage.

Shootings good AUN pal, gets you out the house in the lovely countryside and you even get a decent meal out of it. Cushty ; )
  • Options

Batter them.

sometimes you are a right nasty individual.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

"When I was a boy of fourteen,my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.But when I got to twenty-one,I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
    Mark Twain

Being teenaged is an illness,they don't know what's going on and they're not in control of what they're doing.Fortunately,it's not terminal.
    In the meantime,say nothing and keep still.

Great quote.
    In my experience, how clever and cool a teenager thinks they are is inversely proportionate to how clever and cool they actually are.
  • Options
    @BIG_ROB - lol bloody hell mate, you never fail me do ya?
  • Options
    Can't complain about my 15 year old girl. I agree mostly with Len so far.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Mark Twain.

That's very good
  • Options
    ^^^^ A wise and clever man was 'ol Mark ....
  • Options

Mushroom picking is nice alternative?
  • Options
    I've had three teenage children and currently have a thirteen year old daughter. None has caused me any trouble (so far!). My top 'do' advice would be: do talk to them and be interested in their lives and schooling and interests, always be supportive and encouraging and be constructive in any criticism. Top 'do not' is do not set arbitrary rules, eg about the time they should be home - rules must be for a reason. Explain clearly and calmly what the reasons are and never ever resort to using the 'because I say so' line. Show some flexibility when required - that demonstrates to them that you're a reasonable person - but don't be a pushover.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Mushroom picking is nice alternative?
    Harvested plenty of 'shrooms in my youth ;o)
  • Options
    Stig said:

There's already a load of different (sometimes conflicting) answers one here and I think that reflects the the variety of personalities that teenagers have and the relationships that different parents have with them. From that perspective I'm not sure there's much by way of advice that will fit every situation. I've got two sons, 13 and 18, the way I treat them is quite different. With the eldest I can be quite direct, we can clash head on and in half an hour it will be over and done with. Our youngest is more broody and direct confrontation can lead to hours (sometimes days) of sulking; I therefore need to be calmer and more measured. A lot of the time you have to find your way by trial and error; there's nothing quite like personal experience to guide you. My advice is therefore about more general principles rather than specific situations:
    - Talk with your partner about how you are going to deal with matters, agree a general approach.
    - Don't go for the good cop bad cop routine; the "wait 'til your father gets home" approach is just asking for trouble. Both parents need to deal with things consistently as they arise.
    - Reward good behaviour. This doesn't mean that you have to buy them stuff all the time though. Tell them that you love them and that you are proud of them.
    - Avoid making comparisons with siblings, it will breed resentment.
    - When you want something done, explain why. The Nike approach does't cut any ice.
    - If they stomp off in a sulk, don't go chasing after them.
    - Any punishments should be as close to the 'crime' as possible. Month long groundings will breed more resentment - ideally any punishments should be over in a day.
    - Don't give over the top punishment - be measured.
    - Only threaten to do what you can actually carry out and if you do set a punishment don't back down, go through with it.

Excellent sensible post.

The psychology of a teenager means that it is quite normal for a rebellious streak and its caused by the effect of chemical changes in adolescence.

I think that understanding this makes it easier to put things in context but there still have to be rules and boundaries for the benefit of the teenager and everyone in the family and beyond.

It is thus important to keep rules and punishments appropriate both to age and to the scale of the misdemeanour, then as Stig wisely concludes, don't back off.
  • Options

Batter them.

sometimes you are a right nasty individual.
    Haha - touche.
  • Options
    Omg..

My daughter 13, always right but knows nothing, attitude, answers back you name it. You just have to laugh at them rather than get mad and yell - in theory..

I've never smacked my kids
  • Options
    How do you deal with them? Change all the locks, sit with the lights out and hope they go away
  • Options
    Some great advice here, really useful to get the perspective of parents who have raised teenagers.

Mine are an eight year old boy and boy/girl twins who are six, at the moment I am using the "Because I say so" method but reading others here I may have to become more Terry Waite in style.

No Terry Waite jokes please!
  • Options
    On a serious note I found with our daughter when she was a teenager that negotiation didn't work because she frankly wasn't interested in our viewpoint she only had hers and that was the one that counted. So the way I dealt with it was to pick my battles go a bit easy on the unimportant stuff but stay firm on the things that really mattered and as someone else said you have to be united as they will try to "divide and conquer". I also agree that if punishment was required (we never, ever hit our daughter) it had to be reasonable and fit the misdemeanor anything too draconian just creates resentment.
  • Options
    You do what is right for you and him and try to remember what it was like when you were his age.

You'll both work it out and, hopefully, when he stops being Kevin, you'll be great mates.

That's how I'm dealing with it, it's hard sometimes but it's all part of the fun.

Wouldn't change my two for anything, love them both the way they are.
  • Options
    I was feeling quite chirpy 'til I read this thread. I have 3 girls nearly 8, nearly 5 and 18 months. Interesting times lay ahead by the sounds of it. I might start an 'emigrating to Australia' thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2013