Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton & Hove Albion v Charlton Ath|Championship|2 April 2013|Preview, Views, News and Line Ups

The Introduction

The enigma that is the Charlton 12/13 showed yet another side when coming from two down to defeat Bolton. A 58th minute sending off was a crucial moment but shouldn't mask the fact that even when it was 11 v 11 the Addicks had fought their way back into the game showing some guts and no little ability. Nor should the win hide the reality of just how poor individuals and the team were in the opening 20 minutes. Any more of that and we'll face a mountain we won't be able climb.

The Opposition

The Seagulls have been hovering around the top six for most of the season and look well set to reach the play-offs. A crushing 3 - 0 over "local" rivals Palace will have been enjoyed. Albion seemed set to carry on that good form with a win at fellow contenders Forest on Saturday until a last minute clanger from their keeper gifted the Tricky Trees a point.

An expensively assembled team featuring the experience, and wages, of Matt Upson and Wayne Bridge awaits Charlton. Upfront prolific scorers Barnes and Mackial-Smith will be missing but in Buckley, Lua Lua and Ulloa the Albion will still carry a goal threat. At the back they can boast the 2nd meanest home defence in the division but they do draw a lot of games at the Amex.

The Line Up.

The Bolton win will give Powell a lot to think about. A revitalised Fuller turned the game but will he be risked twice in three days after the battering his pop-in, pop-out shoulder took v The Trotters. If not Haynes is likely to partner penalty king Yann.

Dervite grew from zero to hero and if Taylor is still ill then would seem likely to hold his place in an unchanged back five.

Andy Hughes drew many plaudits for a steadying, holding display that allowed the trio of JJ, Shoot Low and Pritch to get forward. The choice would seem to be what to do with the tidy Mark Gower. Stephens was another unwell player who might make the bench. Rouamba is still awaiting his work permit and it is too early and too crucial for Deigo "he's better than Gus" Poyet to be given a game versus his dad's team.

The Trivia

The Amex will be 7th different ground on which the Addicks have faced the Albion

The Result

Another Charlton back to wall effort will be enough to bring an invaluable point back to the Valley 1 - 1

Comments

• Looking forward to it !!
    2-1 Charlton
  • Would love a point but suspect that the Seagulls will be too strong for us after that monumental effort at The Valley v Bolton. Please let me be wrong but I can't see past 3 - 0
  • Looking forward to this, score draw expected
  • A point will be a miracle, a win will be beyond my wildest ......
    We're not very good but we try hard
    Hard work and effort only get you so far

2-0 to the albion
  • Comfortable away win4-0.
  • A decisive away win and the playoffs beckon.

Oh sorry, no, I was holding the paper upside down.
  • They have players who cost twice as much as our whole team so we will do well to get anything. 2-2.
  • Score draw or an unlucky defeat
  • We get beat but we go down fighting. Lose 2-1. On to saturday.
  • The unstoppable juggernaut that is Charlton away will roll over the million dollar journeymen of Brighton. 3-1 to Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Brighton have got a good home record but then, we've got a good away record. I think we'll go down fighting 2-1 Brighton
  • A fighting 1-1 draw, and another point nearer to safety. COYAs!
  • Hopefully tomorrows games will go our way. I think that will allow us to play with a bit more freedom and we can shock them.
  • 2 on the trot, 1-2. COYR's
  • I think it will be a tough evening and I think that Brighton will make the play-offs this season, after missing out last year. It is always handy if, having lost your best striker for the season, you are able to find £2.5 million down the back of the sofa to go out and buy someone like Ulloa. Even with the biggest gates in the Championship, their Chairman has been emphasising how difficult it will be for them to comply with the Fair Play regulations once they come into force. Small wonder with people like Bridge on the payroll ( even with City paying most of his wages ).

In terms of our line up, I do wonder if, having been out so long, Andy Hughes has another game in him three days later, whilst Fuller was also in the wars. Maybe the management will try and get an hour or so out of them. Listening to Chris Powell's post-match interview, it sounds as if Stephens will be in the 18 and he may well join Gower on the bench, giving uds useful options. I would feel more comfortable with Taylor back in defence ( as might Morrison, given their partnership ), but I doubt that he'll be fit after his illness.

Given the gap in quality and resources, I'll be delighted with a point, although we are a formidable proposition away from home and Poyet and his team will be taking nothing for granted.
  • Would go with

Hamer

Wilson
    Cort
    Dervite
    Evina

Green
    Stephens
    Gower
    Kerkar
    Wagstaff

Haynes

We're not going to win so think CP should rest the heroic 11 from sat and be ready to get a massive 3 points next weekend.

Also with this lineup we can see Kerkar in CM his natural pos.

Can also get Gower some match fitness.

Can also give Green some playing time.
  • ah the joys of april 1st
  • away from has been good....no reason it cant continue, but Brighton are a good side so its 1-1 for me....match thread from 7.15
  • Mike said:

ah the joys of april 1st

Thanks for that. I nearly reacted.
  • Good sides don't find it easy to beat us though - look at Watford.
  • Sponsored links:

• Difficult game in store and virtually impossible to predict. However I'm hoping for a 2-2 draw and a hard earned point. Think this will be a squeaky bum one with a back to the wall final 10 minutes (as usual ).
  • Poyet will have BHA well wound up after the disappointment at Forest. They need a win to maintain promotion hopes. CAFC despite a good result at home (at last) are not as good as a skilful yet also an aggressive, I would say a dirty side as BHA. Despite Hughes stiffening the midfield and a return to Form for Fuller, a home win.

Brighton & Hove Albion 2 v CAFC 0
  • Their home form is good, our away form is good, points to draw for me.
  • I think we will win 94th winner by JJ
  • vffvff
    edited April 2013
    At the Valley, Charlton were 2-1 up with Bradley Pritchard first league goal on 70 mins. Frimpong jumped over a free kick, allowing Lua Lua to score with a soft deflected free kick for 2-2.

It is within Charlton to beat Brighton away. A draw would be a good result though. That would be one more point to safety. All the teams at the foot of the table, won't continue to win every game.
  • The players will feel great after Saturday, so no reason for many changes. Whether Hughes can play another game so quick Powell can judge late on but we may see Gower come in there. Personally would much rather see Taylor back in for Dervite if he is well again.
  • Feel very positive for this one as Brighton have to win and the pressure is on them. Think it might be similar to Millwall away with no shots and a 0-0 draw. Well planned transport links mean we'll be home by 1am, yay?!!
  • Two changes Taylor or Cort in for Dervite and Gower in for Fuller who took a few knocks against Bolton so don't expect him to start.
    1-1
    Kermorgant
    Ulloa
  • Need a win after todays results.
  • not really. it's all about the leeds game next week, a point vs brighton would be a bonus