Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2022 World Cup

Shocking article on the preparations for the Qatar World Cup.
Qatar's World Cup "slaves"

Comments

• That's outrageously horrific. Just another reason why the games shouldn't have been even NEAR to them. FIFA has those young mens deaths on their hands.
  • There really is no way that the 2022 World Cup is going to be seen as a positive in any way, shape or form - regardless of the Football on the pitch.

Absolute joke that they were even considered for the event, let alone awarded it.
  • FIFA have got themselves into such a mess with this. The cons outweigh the pro's by an absolute mile.
  • this is shameful
  • I get the same sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when people I know go to Dubai and come back raving about just how clean it is, and how much they'd love to live there as my parents must have done when people emigrated from here to apartheid South Africa. Everyone there knows this goes on, and is tacitly complicit by turning a blind eye as they take the filthy, heavily inflated tax-free salaries. Absolute disgrace.
  • Absolutely disgusting, this is what happens when you give a World Cup to whoever will give you the biggest bribe rather than who is best placed to host/benefit from it.

What an absolutely horrible country.
  • It is a horrible story. What will happen?

• edited September 2013
    Curb_It said:

It is a horrible story. What will happen?

The square root of f-all is my guess. Unless some sort of self appointed moral crusader such as Stephen Fry gets involved in which case there will be millions of keyboard warriors who never would have gone to the world cup anyway signing petitions and causing a lot of fuss on facebook, after which nothing will happen.
  • nothing blatter will not even respond to it saying it is an issue of the government of that country not football

this is not unique either it has happened in many countries that have hosted not only major tournaments but youth ones also that needed stadia
  • i saw an interview on football focus last week with the guy in charge of hosting the world cup in 2022. he was literally just making stuff up in this interview.

asked about temperatures, drinking, their view on homosexual fans etc...he didnt have a clue.

the whole thing is a complete shambles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blatters comment will be along the lines of... "Good to see Qatar giving jobs to volunteers from across Asia"
  • A properly organised boycott of the sponsors might do it. I wish we'd pull out of FIFA. It's an absulte disgrace of an organisation.
  • Think you'll find that Blatter is actually more opposed to this situation than you would assume.
  • cafctom said:

Think you'll find that Blatter is actually more opposed to this situation than you would assume.

He probably didn't get his cut!
  • Jints said:

A properly organised boycott of the sponsors might do it. I wish we'd pull out of FIFA. It's an absulte disgrace of an organisation.

this. Also all the countries should boycott it if they had any morals.

Its a fucking disgrace this situation that FIFA has put every footballing nation in. Pathetic excuses that they came out with to defend their decision on letting qatar have it.
  • The state of Charlton.

The state of F. A./ National Team.

The state of FIFA and corruption in world football

Some reasons why this may be my last season as a paying punter. Getting really pissed off with it all.

• The state of Charlton.

Some reasons why this may be my last season as a paying punter. Getting really pissed off with it all.

We both know it won't be.

Just like we all say we don't care about England, that world cup comes along and we are hooked. Then we hate them again when they let us down.
  • edited September 2013
    Huskaris said:

The state of Charlton.

We both know it won't be.

Just like we all say we don't care about England, that world cup comes along and we are hooked. Then we hate them again when they let us down.
    I do care about club and country. It just always seems like hard work. I have nice beer with my mates and then the football gets in the way. At the moment it seems a sense of duty and not enjoyment and that isn't healthy. But i will always go because i must be sick in the head.

Anyway back to the subject.

quatar 2022 is a joke.
  • Doesn't surprise me at all to be honest. It's similar to how the workers are slaved in Dubai.
  • Hell of a scoop for the Guardian. "Qatar World Cup construction 'will leave 4,000 migrant workers dead"
    That's what I call a headline. Made it as the 3rd story on the Czech TV main news tonight, and we have elections clogging up the news.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's such a shame the major footballing nations didn't grow a pair and say reverse your stupid decision or we are pulling out. Sadly, of course they won't
  • Well, for me the fact they are going to move it to the Winter is a right result.Due to my work, I will never be able to go to a summer world cup. I have decided I am going to save up and go Qatar as this will fit in perfectly with my business.Good on yer Sepp
  • edited September 2013
    I think a winter tournament should be ok for England as well. Mid season, players in full flow, none of that burnt out from the season bullshit. I still dont agree with it however.

no world cup bbq's will be a shame though.
  • Well, for me the fact they are going to move it to the Winter is a right result.Due to my work, I will never be able to go to a summer world cup. I have decided I am going to save up and go Qatar as this will fit in perfectly with my business.Good on yer Sepp

You'll be in your 50's by then mate and will be moaning about everything (as opposed to just most things)

What with the weather, restricted booze etc, you'll be a f*cking nightmare!
  • So you coming with me mate ;-)
  • Yeah f**k it, we'll be like the old gits from Harry Enfield.
  • So FIFA have made their decision as to summer or winter.

The decision :-

They have postponed making a decision until after the 2014 World Cup.
  • So FIFA have made their decision as to summer or winter.

The decision :-

They have postponed making a decision until after the 2014 World Cup.

It's such a shame that the sport we all love is run by a bunch of Clowns Crooks Morons .... Take your pick
  • It's such a shame the major footballing nations didn't grow a pair and say reverse your stupid decision or we are pulling out. Sadly, of course they won't

This. I just can't see how we can have a proper league season that year. If the tournament was to be held in Jan of 2022 then the squads would have to get together 3 weeks before so that means our league season ending early dec, so no xmas football and wouldn't start again until mid Feb. If they wanted to accommodate xmas football and the WC didn't start until Feb, when, I ask myself, is it then likely to start & finish ?? Start in July or end in June ??

absolutely crazy. As I heard Scudamore says the other day - the Quatar bid was won on the basis of it being a SUMMER tournament, not a WINTER one. As you say, all the big leagues (Premier, Serie A, La Ligua, etc) plus the countries who lost out on the bid should all get together and say b*****x to you. We either play it in the summer, or we play it elsewhere. I bet there are more top teams against it being in the winter and are FIFA really going to hold a WC without the likes of England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France being there ? I doubt it.