Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• edited September 2013
    How vey sad,used to love his and Venables sparring on the BBC
  • Telegraph.co.uk

Sunday 29 September 2013 | UK News feed

Jimmy Hill was Mr Football. In the 1960s, he ushered in player-power by getting the maximum wage scrapped. For three decades after that, he dominated the footballing airwaves on Match of the Day programme.

He also pioneered all-seating stadiums by becoming the first English club chairman to abolish standing at matches, and was instrumental in introducing the “three points for a win” rule in 1981 that helped transform the modern game into the most exciting sport in the world. The football-loving public owes Jimmy Hill a lot.

So it will be with great sadness for them to learn that, at the age of 85, Hill is suffering from dementia and living in a nursing home near the south coast, too ill to be looked after at home.

News of his illness will upset his many fans, and has already caused deep distress among his family, including his third wife Bryony, 62, as well as his five children from two previous marriages.

Hill was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2008, but it is only now being highlighted by his youngest son Jamie, 46, and his sister Joanna, 50. The pair have decided to raise awareness of their father’s illness to highlight concerns over the difficulties that arise when a parent – with a large extended family – becomes too poorly to make decisions for themselves.

Hill, who appeared on Match of the Day from 1973 to 1998, gave joint powers of attorney to his current wife and a solicitor in 2005, when he was still in good health. As a result, none of his children has any say in his future affairs or his treatment.
  • Really sad. My thoughts go out to him and his family. My nan and grandad suffered from dementia and it is heart breaking to see the effects it has on loved ones.
  • Mr Football when i was growing up and remember him coming out of the crowd to run the line think it was an arsenal game
  • Very sad to hear, went through this with my grandad and it is heartbreaking
  • A former Charlton chairman as well of course.

Dementia is a cruel disease so can only wish him and his family well.
  • What a legend in the game. My thoughts are with him and his family.
  • Very very said. A member of my family has this and it's just horrid.
  • As above dementia is a rotten illness, feel for him and his family
  • Good luck Jim. I remember the Coventry City "Football Specials" in the early 1960's. One of the games great innovators.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sad news he also had a spell on Charlton's board in the 80's
  • real shame I loved the chinny mans honest approach
  • Sad, been through it with my wife's nan and currently going through it with her great aunt, both in their 90's I should add

Still got a photo of Jimmy shaking my hand when I won' the raffle at the Xmas Junior Reds party in 1985, we won tickets in the directors box and met the players in the dressing room before a 2-2 draw with Brighton at selhurst the year we went up

Lovely man
  • Dean Saunders scored both for Brighton that night, Southend I think
  • Dementia knows no boundaries, it is an evil condition that rips the soul out of a person and tears their loved ones apart.

What many of you will not know is that it is not just an older persons syndrome. It effects younger people too. I have had to deal with two people who have contracted what's known as Early Onset Dementia. One younger than me, the other slightly older. Both vibrant, life loving people who did not deserve this cruel fate.

Thank god Jimmy Hill's children have used this tragedy to highlight how important it is for people to think about the need to plan ahead.

I don't know the ins and outs but I think that they will have to go to the Court of Protection and apply for Deputyship or an order amending the original Enduring Power of Attorney if they haven't done so already, to see if they can get some form of input for their father.

It seems a daunting process but it's not and the Court is well able to deal with any case.

I wish them well and hope the family come to some sort of peace and that Jimmy is allowed to spend his last days in peace and comfort.

• Real shame, he has been a massive figure in the UK game.

Can any older readers enlighten us on his playing abilities?
  • so sad to hear this news! thoughts go out him this family and friends
  • Very sad to hear.

Thought he was treated very disrespectfully by MOTD towards the end. Fair enough they wanted to update the show and bring in fresh faces, but for his last couple of seasons he was constantly ridiculed by the other "experts" (think Hansen was one of them but not 100% sure). They mocked everything he had to say, yet he was the only one actually talking any sense. The guy knew the game inside out and (without trying to sound disrespectful myself) he probably still has more knowledge of the game than them muppets.

If I could choose one pundit to give a fair and accurate analysis of a game, it was Jimmy..........................
  • I lost my wife last year to this horrible illness, i cannot convey how devastating it is to watch the love of your life succumb to cruelty of it. How succesive goverments only class dementia as a condition not an illness I do not know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Real shame, he has been a massive figure in the UK game.

Can any older readers enlighten us on his playing abilities?

He was before my time, but had a decent career with Brentford and then Fulham. Once scored 5 in a game for Fulham but overall wasn't especially prolific. Seemingly a bit of a Leaburn in terms of goals/games.

Saw him debate the move to Selhurst with some pretty irate people in the car park at Bramall Lane in 1985. Some Directors got out of a car and were confronted by a small crowd of Charlton fans. Jimmy Hill was the only one who stopped to talk, whilst the others hurried inside the ground. He sat on a wall and calmed everyone down before listening to what the fans had to say. He was so patient with them and took time to explain his view so clearly. Although there wasn't agreement, his rational way of dealing with those fans, definitely struck a chord with them. If only, we had people like him involved in the club now.....
  • The most vicious of diseases in which someone you love seems to suffer a double death. It rips everyone to shreds so with all my heart I wish all families enduring this agony the strength to cope. The only consolation for Jimmy is that he won't have to endure the barabarism of what we like to call social services adult care.
  • BDL said:

fate.

Thank god Jimmy Hill's children have used this tragedy to highlight how important it is for people to think about the need to plan ahead.

I don't know the ins and outs but I think that they will have to go to the Court of Protection and apply for Deputyship or an order amending the original Enduring Power of Attorney if they haven't done so already, to see if they can get some form of input for their father.

It seems a daunting process but it's not and the Court is well able to deal with any case.

I wish them well and hope the family come to some sort of peace and that Jimmy is allowed to spend his last days in peace and comfort.

I had to go through the court of protection with my mother a couple of years ago. It isn't that difficult but I had good people like BDL and my solicitor helping me. It is worth the time as it makes everything so much easy to manage before and after they die.

As some of you know my mother died two weeks ago today, cause of death being end stage dementia. It was heartbreaking not being able to properly communicate with your mother near the end. Thankfully the end was quick and relatively painless for her.
  • I was one of those debating the move with him in the Bramall Lane car park in 1986, Simonsen. He was very instrumental in the move to Sell-out park, let's not forget, but he did also help bring some good players to the club (John Pearson, for instance). Sad to hear he is ill; a reminder we are all getting older!
  • Oh sorry to hear that Ben.

• Very sad. My grandad had it, used to think his wife was still alive and kept asking where she was. Saddest part of it was when he had moments of realisation and so it was like finding out his loved one had died over and over.
  • Very sad to hear about Jimmy Hill, a real football man.

Players have a lot to thank him for today.

Condolences to Henry, dementia is such a saddening thing to deal with.
  • Jimmy Hill is well into his 80s .. the longer your life the more chance there is of developing dementia. Unfortunately a longer life can mean many worries for your loved ones
  • edited September 2013
    I don't know how bad his dementia is, but would imagine it must be quite advanced if he is in a home. People with advanced dementia are still alive to us, but are dead to their families and loved ones. Another aspect of this terrible illness that is not fully appreciated.

• I'll beg to differ Muttley, my Dad is in a home with Alzheimers and he is very much still alive to his family. One of the saddest things for him at the moment is every sunday i go in and tell him we got on.