Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup soon to include Lesotho, Cape Verde Islands and the Isle Of Wight...

Well, not exactly - but as if 32 wasn't expanding it too much, that twonk Platini wants 40 teams from 2018...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24701131

Comments

• 32 teams is absolutely perfect imo.

A months worth of games and a fair balance of sides.

Platini really is a knob.
  • Isle of Wight sounds like a great idea Leroy , any others?
  • Cornwall
  • Scotland
  • edited October 2013
    Greenland?

Actually, no - on second thoughts. They'll probably be the host nation in 2026

For once Platini isn't being a knob. Blatter wants less European countries and more African and Asian. Platini's suggestion is to make sure Europe do not loose any places in the World Cup. For once its for the best interests of UEFA/Europe.
  • Will lead to too many dead rubbers in my opinion.
  • Shag said:

Scotland

Now your being ridiculous
  • Don't see too much wrong with it really. Not fussed if they keep it at 32 or open it to 40.

I also thought the idea of a European wide Euro 2020 was pretty decent, though I know I'm in a minority there.
  • Anything for a bit more money...
  • Sponsored links:

• My money's on the Isle of Man to win the WC by 2030...............

For once Platini isn't being a knob. Blatter wants less European countries and more African and Asian. Platini's suggestion is to make sure Europe do not loose any places in the World Cup. For once its for the best interests of UEFA/Europe.

Apparently Europe has 54 countries and 13 WC spots. Africa has 53 countries and 5 WC spots. Blatter wants a more even distribution.
  • They should reduce the number of European teams imho. Only about 5 teams are capable of winning it anyway, so what does it matter if a few European teams who aren't going to win aren't included?
  • McBobbin said:

They should reduce the number of European teams imho. Only about 5 teams are capable of winning it anyway, so what does it matter if a few European teams who aren't going to win aren't included?

Does that include England then?
  • edited October 2013

32 teams is absolutely perfect imo.

Apparently Europe has 54 countries and 13 WC spots. Africa has 53 countries and 5 WC spots. Blatter wants a more even distribution more votes.
    I've just corrected that for you. : - )

32 is too big already. The bigger it gets the harder it is to find countries willing to stage it that haven't done so already fairly recently so you end up giving it to the same old places or places like Qatar with more money than sense.

32 does, like 16, have the advantage of making the maths work with two qualifiers from 8 groups going to the knock out. Much better than the groups of three players we had when it was 24. Of course the Euros are now 24 teams.

• Agree - All Blatter gives a shit about is getting more votes from tinpot countries who have fuck all chance of winning it. TBH, I think the world cup in its current format has had its day. The last three tournaments have been pretty dire, entertainment-wise - and it's an absolute joke that a team ranked 200 odd in the world has an equal say in who gets to host the tournament. The sooner the big countries get together and fuck FIFA off the better.
  • Agree - All Blatter gives a shit about is getting more votes from tinpot countries who have fuck all chance of winning it. TBH, I think the world cup in its current format has had its day. The last three tournaments have been pretty dire, entertainment-wise - and it's an absolute joke that a team ranked 200 odd in the world has an equal say in who gets to host the tournament. The sooner the big countries get together and fuck FIFA off the better.

I think the problem is that the country ranked 200 doesn't get a direct say.

Previous voting was by around 12 delegates. This made it much easier to bribe influence these people. As the Olympics found out by extending voting it becomes a better, if not perfect system. There would still be block voting and corruption but enough national FA may vote for a decent country to host rather than a delegate picking the best rolex.
  • edited October 2013

Shag said:

Scotland

Now your being ridiculous
    I know, the Isle of Wight would rinse them inside and out in the play off game!
  • European Championships going up to 32 is worse.
  • Going up to 24, my bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2013

32 teams is absolutely perfect imo.

Apparently Europe has 54 countries and 13 WC spots. Africa has 53 countries and 5 WC spots. Blatter wants a more even distribution.
    The thing is that Europe has about 15 decent sides and Africa has about 5.

More even distribution will lead to even worse tournaments. Bigger tournaments will just make it boring.

The thing is that Europe has about 15 decent sides and Africa has about 5.

More even distribution will lead to even worse tournaments. Bigger tournaments will just make it boring.
    this 100%

how many top sides are their in Africa and Asia compared to europe?

• McBobbin said:

They should reduce the number of European teams imho. Only about 5 teams are capable of winning it anyway, so what does it matter if a few European teams who aren't going to win aren't included?

Does that include England then?
    Alas, no. And I'm an England supporter.
  • enfield island village are looking to enter i am in
  • If Islands get to have a go the Isle of Dogs is going to enter, but first they have to get their local team back the wrong side of the river.
  • Why not go to 50 to celebrate the heat of the final in Qatar.
  • I have a theory as to why this might work. At present, with the top two qualifying for the knock-out stages from the group matches, you can get the situation where teams are too cautious or the top-rated teams in the group play out bore draws in the knowledge that all they have to do is beat the lesser teams to get through to the next phase. Also the last games in the group stage can be very dull if there's nothing much to play for.
    However, if there were 10 groups of four with the top ten teams plus only the six best second-placed teams qualifying for the knock-out stages, we might get better games as teams could not be so sure that they would get through until after the final group matches had been played.
  • edited October 2013
    A good idea until you look into the details. In the conventional format it would mean 10 games in a group, rather than 6. But also would mean it is impossible to play final group games at the same time so a team could know what they need to do. Best second places is messy as it doesn't take into account that there will be strong/weak groups!

Also, that is another 32 games that have to be slotted in.

But Platini is right in that the number of teams from Europe can't fall. It is true that the standards across the globe have increased significantly over recent years, but of the current top 20 international sides - 14 are European. The depth of quality should be the driver for the number of particiapnts, so if the ratio changes, then other continents should then get a greater share.

Cue The Society of Black Lawyers.
  • Blatter is a fool though - If you did it on merit- you would take spots from Africa. If you look at FIFA's own rankings as of the position today (October 2013) - Europe has 20 teams in the top 32 -Africa has 3!