Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday post match views 2013

1-1. Injuries and absences left the squad a little makeshift and unbalanced, so a point is a point.

Kermorgant unusually quiet.

Pitch problems.

Lots for a potential new owner to think about!

Comments

• FT Stats addicks first-:
    possession.........46% - 54%
    shots on............. 1 - 4
    shots off............. 9 - 16
    corners............... 4 - 4

GOALS............. 1 - 1

Happy New Year to one and all
  • Commentary on Sheffield, said that this pitch looked like one from the seventies. Worst seen anywhere for years. Wednesday were on top almost all game, according to local radio. Were we really outplayed. A good point by the sound of it. Semedo had a good game too.
  • A point more than we deserved. Shocking performance which was made worse by the substitutions.
    Had chances to win it but only as Wednesday were going for it, luckily for them they fell to church!
  • Would have been criminal had we got 3 points out of that. A draw is bordering on it. We were lucky they were so woeful upfront. Church was abysmal IMO, jacko is soooooo sloooow. Kermo looks like he had two helpings of Christmas dinner. Powell has both hands tied behind his back. He needs serious funds in Jan - takeover dependent of course.
  • Disappointed not to win, but given the state of the pitch, the absence of our two best full backs, the under par performance by the players (especially our talismanic Breton) and the Wendies playing well, we can't grumble about getting just a point.
  • Had Sordell had that final chance we'd have won.

Midfield were very poor. But wood was the standout player, very good in that centre
  • The commentary was abysmal today, even by the very low standards of Emma, so it was difficult to get an accurate picture.

Sounded like Wednesday probably edged a tight and very poor game between two poor sides on a poor pitch.

Not sure how much difference it would have made to the result, but I'm sure Powell is going to cop some flack for those subs. I know some people get very defensive of Chrissy whenever he gets criticised but his use of subs is one area that continues to baffle me from time to time and I think it's only fair that his decisions today get scrutinised. It seems horribly negative to be settling for a point at home against a side as poor as Wednesday and apart from anything else I don't like the message it sends out. We should be trying harder to win that game today IMO and it was a situation where it was worth the gamble having picked up 'extra' points last week vs Brighton.

The problem is he has so few options on the bench to try and change things with in an attacking sense. He's obviously given up on Sordell completely.
  • I didn't know there was monster truck racing yesterday. Pitch was an embarressment and so was the football. Why was Stephens moved to right midfield? No shape to the team or confidence.
  • Church had a shocker, be surprised if he starts against Ipswich. Hopefully wiggins will be back too
  • It sounds like we tried hard but this team is pretty limited. It's going to be a tough fight to win enough points to avoid relegation this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• A point more than we deserved. Shocking performance which was made worse by the substitutions.
    Had chances to win it but only as Wednesday were going for it, luckily for them they fell to church!

This. Terrible.
  • edited December 2013
    Church shite, might as well play piggott ,on the whole fair result.
  • Had Sordell had that final chance we'd have won.

Midfield were very poor. But wood was the standout player, very good in that centre

He must have done something to CP in training! Changed the game by all accounts at Reading and never seen since. Church tries but that isn't enough. He must be worth a go cos he can't be any worse.
  • Tranmere on a dark wet Tuesday night next season it is.
  • Good god almighty that was abysmal. Anyone that thinks that squad is anything other than relegation material is kidding themselves. Unless the new people are in place in time to get in some quality in January I fear for this season and I don't mean a few untried unknown quantities from bloody Belgium. As for the pitch. It's an embarrassment to the club.
  • 5 points from the last 3 - I would have been pretty happy if offered that before Bolton.
  • For got to mention Danny Green. Absolute tripe.
  • Solidgone said:

Why was Stephens moved to right midfield? No shape to the team or confidence.

To accommodate JJ one of the players now living on his past I'm afraid...
  • Pitch was shocking, church is pony ... runs a lot but in all the wrong places. Team selection was strange and the squad is woefully week. More than happy to take a point and somehow could have sneaked all 3 if church hit the target at the end
  • Sponsored links:

• We were not confident enoough to go for the three points today, they were there for the taking but once again we did not gamble enough on Kermo winning in the air, we did not tackle high enough up the field and invited them onto us (hence the higher shots on/shots off stat) and made them look a lot better than they actually were.

The pitch will lot last the season and is a concern now.

Church could have won it at the death with a little composure but snatched.

On to Portman Road and hope that Wiggins/Sollly are available/fit.
  • He should have taken Jackson off at half time, he was so off the pace during the first half and that wasn't likely to change. And Stephens has been our most effective player this season from centre midfield so putting him on the wing from the start was bad, keeping him there (albeit on the other side) for the whole game was ridiculous. The Jackson change, when it eventually came, should have accommodated Dale moving inside but instead he brought on Dervite as well which just invited extra pressure.

With the Brighton win, the point is a decent one IMHO and we just have to accept that with the squad we've got, every point is going to be hard earned and our style of play, along with that pitch, means there's going to be some dour stuff to come. We should be okay though......
  • -Alnwick

-Solly
    -Morrison
    -Wood
    -Wiggins

-Wilson
    -Cousins
    -Stephens
    -(Get someone in in Jan)

-Kermorgant
    -(Get someone in in Jan)

This is the only way we are going to stay up.
  • Part of the reason I love Charlton is we make the most of what we have. Despite this I just don't think Church is the kind of player we want and we need to get a new striker in ASAP (with what money, I know)

Danny Green normally either has a good game or a poor one, unfortunately he was poor today, apart from one killer pass.

Their number 6 looked pretty good.
  • a quick whinge ... Wiggins is well paid to play pro football .. his team is struggling and needs points, especially against fellow strugglers .. he goes on paternity leave thus weakening the team .. this is out of order .. are soldiers and sailors flown home to wifey when she is expecting/just given birth .. yes we all love our children and partners/wives but in certain circumstances work comes first .. Wiggins would have been away from home only for a few hours .. I am presuming his family home is in London .. I will say again, Wiggins going absent with or without permission is totally wrong.
    I did not see the game .. seems like I did not miss much
  • Thought Jose looked good although a lot if that was to do with the fact Jackson was wondering around 5 yards behind the ball.
    I know some defend the subs but they were crazy
  • The usual panic stations when they equalized. We got worse the longer the second half went on. Church had time to steady himself before lashing his late chance high and wide. Sorry Danny Green but you are awful.
  • a quick whinge ... Wiggins is well paid to play pro football .. his team is struggling and needs points, especially against fellow strugglers .. he goes on paternity leave thus weakening the team .. this is out of order .. are soldiers and sailors flown home to wifey when she is expecting/just given birth .. yes we all love our children and partners/wives but in certain circumstances work comes first .. Wiggins would have been away from home only for a few hours .. I am presuming his family home is in London .. I will say again, Wiggins going absent with or without permission is totally wrong.
    I did not see the game .. seems like I did not miss much

How do you know it wasn't a difficult birth Lincs? That view is a bit to black & white...
  • Wilson, Kermy, Cousins the only 3 to come out of that in credit. What has Sordell done to not get a chance. Where are Pritch, Harriot, Gower?

Wiggy and Solly massive losses for us.

Wednesday very poor, but sadly better than us today. Will take the point.

If we stay injury free to end of season this lot will stay above Barnsley, Yeovil and Donny so no need to panic yet.