Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday post match views 2013

Comments

• Harriot did write on twitter last week he was injured i think
  • a quick whinge ... Wiggins is well paid to play pro football .. his team is struggling and needs points, especially against fellow strugglers .. he goes on paternity leave thus weakening the team .. this is out of order .. are soldiers and sailors flown home to wifey when she is expecting/just given birth .. yes we all love our children and partners/wives but in certain circumstances work comes first .. Wiggins would have been away from home only for a few hours .. I am presuming his family home is in London .. I will say again, Wiggins going absent with or without permission is totally wrong.
    I did not see the game .. seems like I did not miss much

There are things more important than football. If we can't cope without him for one game that says more about us than him.

Probably hasn't trained much either so doubt he'd be match fit anyway.
  • I don't often criticise Powell, but that was crap. The line up was all wrong, totally unbalanced the team. Why Church wasn't taken off and Sordell or Pigott put on I will never know. Green was pony as well. Two poor sides scrapping against relegation.
  • a quick whinge ... Wiggins is well paid to play pro football .. his team is struggling and needs points, especially against fellow strugglers .. he goes on paternity leave thus weakening the team .. this is out of order .. are soldiers and sailors flown home to wifey when she is expecting/just given birth .. yes we all love our children and partners/wives but in certain circumstances work comes first .. Wiggins would have been away from home only for a few hours .. I am presuming his family home is in London .. I will say again, Wiggins going absent with or without permission is totally wrong.
    I did not see the game .. seems like I did not miss much

Soldiers and sailors jobs can sometimes be about life and death - paramedics etc certainly are. Being blunt, football is completely irrelevant and unimportant when it comes to family imo.
  • It's bad enough we were forced to swap the full backs. But why change 2 of the midfielders round when only one was needed. Leave Stewart on the left Stephens and cousins in the middle and play green on the right. But no we have to shuffle it all round to play Jackson. A stupid tackle by him against Yeovil gets sent off and waltzs straight back into the team. Wouldn't be surprised if these decisions course a lot of unrest in the camp.
  • Jackson shouldn't be anywhere near that first team along with evina. 1-1 at home with 20 mins to go and u have two strikers on the bench, you bring on dervite and green? Shit subs again, too scared to go for it at home . Very fucked off this evening
  • That was shite!

Two poor sides playing on a cow field was never going to be good but my god that was bad.

Why on earth is Dale Stephens, a player that likes to put his foot on the ball and get us ticking, playing right midfield?!! Then to make matters worse, Powell then makes pretty much neutral subs and puts him on the left!!!!

Even Semedo was finding time to waltz forward with the ball, so Stephens would have been effective in there.

Nobody played well apart from Wood who was excellent.

Their no 3 was one of the worst pro footballers I've seen at the Valley and not once did we have anyone on the right to go at him. Swap Stewart out their for 10 mins and let him have a field day!

Just as disappointed with CP as much as the players today. Defensive minded with 20 mins to go against a side below us in unacceptable really.

The pitch is a disgrace.

Let's hope we turn in a much better performance against Ipswich otherwise it'll be a cricket score!
  • On another note, Stewart went down early on about 15 yards from me and his reaction to getting mud on his hands and kit was priceless, he stopped and wiped it off his hands for a good 10 seconds, prompting someone to shout "yeah Cameron... That's mud!"
  • Posting without reading.
    Congratulations to a lot on the pre match thread. It was the predicted 1-1, and the pitch suited Sheffield Wednesday more than us, as it did us more than Brighton on Boxing day. They were a huge team (stature not massiveness!) but were amazingly profligate with their crosses and shots.
    Having said that, Wednesday were nearly always on top during that game, without being better than us if that doesn't sound too Irish. Either team might have nicked a win, but a draw is fair enough...if you can't win, don't lose the saying goes and today that was particularly true. We got a good goal, they got a dustbin goal, but they had more approach play than us, and more almost near misses, but a more clinical Simon Church at the very end may have won us all three points.
    I hear Wiggy was missing because he had a baby, and Solly was the midwife, so we were disrupted, but it may be a blessing because players are being played into the ground over this Christmas period, enforced changes now we haven't lost might help us.
    Thanks Cameron Stewart, give my sister in Lincolnshire a nice wave on your way back to Hull City, do you fancy Danny Green as a travelling companion? If we have no resources I would much rather Harriott than Stewart anyway, and if Danny Green is an impact sub, well the impact he had was to scare the chite out of me because he was a liability. Jacko looked rusty, and I wonder if he will have the influence he used to have in the future. The whole team were pretty average, with maybe Dale just edging it as our best player, probably because of the goal.
    A point is a point, and this lot beat us at the Valley last season.
    There was a yellow Ferrari at the ground today, and apparently yellow is Belgium's racing colours. I am warming to our Belgium friend as I have heard the rival bid is in favour of the totally unfeasible peninsular move (see VOTV as to why).
    On to Ipswich, which I can't afford so I'll help Red with the match thread.
  • A pity that church missed the chance at the end, but to be fair it would have been more than we deserved. Obviously we missed solly and wiggins a lot and the pitch was a pudding which didn't help. At least we are no worse off with barnsley and yeovil both losing and donny-millwall being a draw. If we can get something at ipswich it's been a reasonable christmas/new year, but we aren't out of the woods yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• I really didn't think it was that bad, given the removal of the two full backs who were so instrumental in out win over Brighton. Poor Ceddy was a rabbit in headlights. Church isn't a great finisher but his running gives us an outlet when we are under pressure. Sordell would never have got himself in the position to snatch at that chance since it came from Church's hard work. Wood is a quiet class act. Yann was a bit subdued, compared to Thursday, but exactly, Thursday! When I heard Emma saying Solly and wiggins were out I feared the worst. If you'd offered me 5 points from those last 3 games I'd have bitten your arm off.

As for the pitch, it's all been said. Bloody disgrace.
  • I hope the West Stand Lino is very happy with himself he just handed the Wendies a point
    It was such a clear offside even from the Upper North i could see that
  • Wednesday far better team. Yard faster and harder in the tackle. Pitch is embarrassing . Church comes in for stick, but how would you like to chase those bloody awful passes for 90 minutes? Powell no clue with subs. Does he think they have to be made on 70 mins? Surely best to make them when needed and not on 70 mins.
    Cousens needed resting 2nd half and Stephens scored a good goal but spends long periods passing to the opposition. What the hell has Sordell done?
  • Bad day for Powell. Unbalanced team, dreadful subs. Two points lost.
  • Please tell me how Evina earns a living as a footballer. Totally at fault for their goal.
  • Glad we didn't lose. Pitch was rubbish.

Think Powell was wrong in playing Stephens RM and Stewart LM. Stewart should have played on the right, with JJ - off the pace as he is - on the left, and the duo of Cousins and Stephens in the centre. We had to cope without baby daddy Rhoys, and Solly (too many games in his comeback perhaps?), so yeah. A point's a point.

Alnwick - bar the flap near the end, alright. Evina is too lightweight, and was out of position for their goal, but what are you gonna do. Had to fill in the gaps somewhere. Same with Stewart. He's crap, offers nothing defensively and not all that much going forward. Jackson as much as I love him is off the pace, having not seen his gradual deterioration over 3 months. Cousins looks like the real deal. Wood has no pace, but otherwise - great. Did his job as did Morrison. Wilson - alright. Stephens - took his goal well. Needs to sort his head out defensively. Church works hard and gets pretty much no service, and doesn't do all that much with what he gets; Yann was not quite on it today but still was a bit of a nuisance.

We play some surprisingly good balls into the middle of the pitch on the ground, and don't just rely on hoofing it up I don't think, which is a bit of a change. Some really lovely interplay on occasion. We're in need of a good left winger, a quality striker and perhaps a centre back.
  • Wednesday came for a point and deserved all 3! Wickham was a real handful. They won most of the second balls in the middle, even though Cousins and Stephens played well enough. They targetted Evina quite a lot, who looked shaky. Great finish from Dale for the goal. Be interesting to see if Wickham was off side for their goal. Massive Wednesday filled 3/4 of Jimmy Seed and were a bit quiet. Funny to see their half naked fat fan again. Pitch virtually unplayable. Ref a bit dodge in second half, esp giving a GK after a wonderful save by Kirkland from a Church header. Stewart could not get in the game, perhaps due to flooded midfield. Kermo played well.
  • edited December 2013
    100% support for SCP from me because I know what the dude is having to make do with. If our Belgian friend was watching today I doubt he would be very impressed with Chris's team, tactics or substitutions today. Duchatelet doesn't seem shy in sacking managers. Let's hope he gives Chris a fair crack with some decent reinforcements.
  • That first half was the worst performance from two so called professional teams I've seen for about thirty years. I know the pitch was bad, but the level of skill and quality was that of an under 11 game.

How the Wednesday Nr 3 is actually paid by the club, I'll never know. Probably the worst professional footballing performance I've ever seen from an individual. Just a disgrace we never exploited it.

Booooooo.
  • Take a point but Powell got it totally wrong today. Thought Stephens & cousins had formed a good partnership over previous few games why change it to make room for a rusty Jackson.

If Jackson had to play why not put him on left & Stewart on right would have had more balance imo.

Church was hopeless his miss at the end could be very costly in the long run, why have forwards on the bench if you have no intention of using them.
  • Sponsored links:

• I nearly feel asleep, will spend money on a tin of paint and watch it dry next time....why play Stephan's on the right? Hurts my brain some of Powell's decisions.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Glad we didn't lose. Pitch was rubbish.

Think Powell was wrong in playing Stephens RM and Stewart LM. Stewart should have played on the right, with JJ - off the pace as he is - on the left, and the duo of Cousins and Stephens in the centre. We had to cope without baby daddy Rhoys, and Solly (too many games in his comeback perhaps?), so yeah. A point's a point.

Alnwick - bar the flap near the end, alright. Evina is too lightweight, and was out of position for their goal, but what are you gonna do. Had to fill in the gaps somewhere. Same with Stewart. He's crap, offers nothing defensively and not all that much going forward. Jackson as much as I love him is off the pace, having not seen his gradual deterioration over 3 months. Cousins looks like the real deal. Wood has no pace, but otherwise - great. Did his job as did Morrison. Wilson - alright. Stephens - took his goal well. Needs to sort his head out defensively. Church works hard and gets pretty much no service, and doesn't do all that much with what he gets; Yann was not quite on it today but still was a bit of a nuisance.

We play some surprisingly good balls into the middle of the pitch on the ground, and don't just rely on hoofing it up I don't think, which is a bit of a change. Some really lovely interplay on occasion. We're in need of a good left winger, a quality striker and perhaps a centre back.

Harriott, Aherne-Grant, Gomes. Sorted.
  • That was shite!

Two poor sides playing on a cow field was never going to be good but my god that was bad.

Why on earth is Dale Stephens, a player that likes to put his foot on the ball and get us ticking, playing right midfield?!! Then to make matters worse, Powell then makes pretty much neutral subs and puts him on the left!!!!

Even Semedo was finding time to waltz forward with the ball, so Stephens would have been effective in there.

Nobody played well apart from Wood who was excellent.

Their no 3 was one of the worst pro footballers I've seen at the Valley and not once did we have anyone on the right to go at him. Swap Stewart out their for 10 mins and let him have a field day!

Just as disappointed with CP as much as the players today. Defensive minded with 20 mins to go against a side below us in unacceptable really.

The pitch is a disgrace.

Let's hope we turn in a much better performance against Ipswich otherwise it'll be a cricket score!

Totally agree with you.

Our midfield has been the best this season but Powell demolished that by putting Stephens on the right wing. I must also add that Stewart was playing the wrong side, he is a right-footed player ffs so why does Powell insist on putting him on the left side.

Also when Green was put on, Evina was still taking the throws when we were attacking. Was Powell playing for a draw or something?

What on earth was Powell thinking!
  • All of them were appalling bar Stephens Moro and poss Yann.
    I'm losing faith with Powell clueless today they lined up 4-5-1 Powell went 442 but unbalanced the team to accommodate an unfit and past it Jackson by moving Stephens to the right. Stepens and Cousins have been v good together recently. He changed nothing all game until 15 to go but took off Stewart and Jackson and put on Green and Devite which invited wendies on to us. I'm not buying this "he's a new manager and learning" crap we got a point in spite of Chris Powell and not because if him.
    Unacceptable performance by all concerned!
  • Stephens-Cousins CM partnership is the bright spot of the season so far; I can't understand why it was broken up.

I know Church is laughable as a striker but Yann had a stinker today, looked uninterested - at one point when Weds defence was in possession Church harried them from left to right running right past a motionless Yann.

Two teams that will occupy 20th and 21st at season end if they are lucky.
  • It was SCP cunning plan to play crap so that Roland would take pity on him and give him a couple of blank cheques to buy some players and a new pitch!
  • As soon as I saw Solly and Wiggins weren't playing my heart sank - truly terrible performance and we were lucky to get a point.
    Jackson was very poor and most players were under par. Hopefully Danny Green won't feature again after his shocking sub appearance.
    The Church miss at the end was the icing on the cake.
  • dizzee said:

Tranmere on a dark wet Tuesday night next season it is.

Really ? Today's game wasn't great, but it's a point against a relegation rival who needed it more than us.

Overall, whilst today was poor, given the absolute lack of strength in depth our squad possesses (witness today's bench as proof) a four point haul from two games in 72 hours is pretty good going.
  • What a difference a few days makes.

The substitutions and lack of urgency towards the end said that we were happy with a point, and despite Church's chance can't say we deserved any more.

Have to assume that Sordell will be on his way back to Bolton or elsewhere, as if he is not brought on towards the end of a game like that then it seems obvious he is not in Powell's plans.
  • Church gets away with too much for running around a lot. The man is pony and when those ( very few chances) do drop to him he screws up.
    I actually thought evina had a good game and worked hard, goal was down to wood who came for the header when evina was under it