Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday post match views 2013

Comments

• I think there was a point in the first half where someone played a through ball to Church, he was at the edge of the penalty area (closest to the west stand) and he went to turn from having his back to goal. I genuinely believe that if I go back to The Valley around 10.37pm tonight he may have finally completed that turn. There's having an off day then there's having off weeks, months and possibly seasons. His performances are gradually getting to a nadir of somewhere between Powel Abbott and Andy Gray. I get that he runs the channels, but then any able bodied man can do that job. He's not strong enough to hold up the ball, he's not fast, and his movement isn't Sheringham or Berbatovesque that he creates space and brings others into the game. Finally we have what, 3 league goals? I'm probably putting the boot in a tad too much, but I think he's pretty rubbish. We need someone else to help Kermorgant, he's carrying him at the moment.

Great to have Jackson back???? Powell's loyalty to this man is really testing me. Got to say the balance of the midfield was all over the place today. We really missed Solly and Wiggins. More from an offensive stand point than anything. Wiggins offers us a lot going forward. Solly links well with Wilson, and I actually realised how much of our attacking play comes from those two with them missing today.

I love Powell but the way he set up the midfield, coupled with his substitutions against Brighton, patience with Jackson and Church does frustrate me. I've said it before, there aren't any teams in this division we should set up overly defensive against. I think we are too cautious at times and I just wish we'd be a bit more aggressive.
  • Oggy Red said:

I also thought Wood was pretty poor today. A mix up between Evina and Wood let Wednesday in behind for their (offside) leveller. Also a couple of passes RW made put other players into trouble.

Okay, you've told us what Wood did wrong today.

But how about balancing it out - and telling us all the things that Wood did right today?

;o)
    Haha won a few headers, continues to work well in tandem with Morrison. Think he's looking better than he is because it allows a left footer to play left and right footer (Morrison) to play right. We had awful problems last season when Morrison played left of the centre back pairing.
    Thanks, Callum - nice one!

• I recall Powell saying that Poyet told him that his downfall at Brighton was down to him being too loyal to some players. This may be the undoing of Powell too...
  • edited December 2013
    First half was without doubt the worst this season. Majority of the second half saw us mostly in our own half weathering the attacks with the highlights being a well taken goal from Stephens and the save from Alnwick. Not sure why Stephens was on the right but if this was to fit Jacko in then it was a mistake as he looked well off the pace. Read on the player marks that Church won't score without service. Sorry but where was he when Yann flicked that ball into the space that he should have been occupying???? And that shot over the bar at the end was shocking too along with the first half chance that he turned into cross/pass out to their defence. He just ain't cutting the mustard for me but will keep his place as there is nobody to replace him. Overall we were lucky to come away with a point.
  • edited December 2013
    Our goal threats vs. Brighton:
    1. Wilson on the right wing
    2. Stewart on the left wing
    3. Wiggins bombing on from left back
    4. Stephens pulling strings in the centre
    5. Kermorgant winning headers/knock downs

Powell's changes (some forced, some not) meant that we had the following goal threats today:
    1. Stewart on the left wing
    2. Kermorgant winning headers/knock downs
    3. Jackson??????
  • Didn't think Wednesday were any better than us and a draw was fair.

We dominated the game from start to finish, we gifted you the goal, then you had one chance at the end - that was it, not here to be a wum either but after that I'm gutted, but having said that i'd of taken a point before it kicked off.
    Your goal was clearly offside
    One of the worst (non) decisions in the history of football.
    But officials always favour the massive clubs.....
  • We were poor. Jackson hardly touched the ball, said midway through the 1st half he was a passenger. If we have to play put him on the left to help out Evina.

Pitch was shocking as usual, Church works hard but little end product, not sure why Sordell isn't getting a look in.

Also we have a small squad but where is Gower, Pritchard and Harriott not even making the bench now.

At leas we didn't lose.
  • edited December 2013

Didn't think Wednesday were any better than us and a draw was fair.

We dominated the game from start to finish, we gifted you the goal, then you had one chance at the end - that was it, not here to be a wum either but after that I'm gutted, but having said that i'd of taken a point before it kicked off.
    Sort of agree. However a decent team would of pissed all over us. You had à lot of the ball in the final third but your finishing was comedy and everyone could see why you are in the position you are at the moment. It was à game that lived up to expectation.

We were abysmal today and still got à point. That should worry you more.
  • As somebody said before im not one to criticise powell often either but that midfield was ridiculously unbalanced (why can he never foresee this) and jackson was miles off the pace.

And then instead of making substitutions allowing us to go for the win against a team in the bottom three he put on dervite which just caused us to drop even deeper. Bizarre.

Church was terrible. Jackson was no better. Should have been a very winnable game.
  • Why do we play so deep? It does my head in... We invite pressure and always concede - CP never learns. Brum did it to us twice last year plus Wendies - we lose so many points... And don't get me started on how to waste Stephens today! Manager sent out an unbalanced side to accommodate JJ - we escaped with a point but should've been able to get all 3. A wasted opportunity for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tough game which was decided by the managerial substitutions. Wednesday changed their shape with two substitutions and equalised, We replaced Jackson and Campbell with DeVitte and Green and we surrendered territory and possession and were lucky not to concede. That said we should have sewn it up in the last few minutes but Church fired high, lacking any composure. Sordells alleged attitude problem must be tantamount to murderous if it is so bad that he can't be given chance to get us a goal.
  • We never got going today and the balance of the side wasn't right without a proper outlet on the right

No problems with Solly being rested and Wiggins being at the birth of his child but I hope they are both back on NYD

We all know the squad is lightweight and bringing on chuff like Danny Green only proves that

Decent point that we just about deserved.

I like Church's work rate and hold up play but that chance at the end should have been taken.
  • Commenting without reading.

That was utterly, utterly awful in all aspects. Half-arsed, bottling rubbish. The amount of our players stand around looking at each other, not going for first or second balls, scared of tackles, arguing amongst one another. You couldn't tell we won our last game. There was only one team in today on a truly terrible pitch, and that was Wednesday. And putting all players behind the ball in the last 10 minutes and not going for the win at home against one of our relegation rivals!? Embarrassing. I would rather go for a win and if Wednesday nicked it, fair enough, they would've deserved it.

The formation today, I don't have a clue what that was. I'm behind Powell but he got everything wrong today. Was that a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-3? Stephens on the wide-right meant we lacked width as he'd often come inside into the centre and we were lopsided. Stewart was playing more with the forwards but Church and Yann were too narrow. I really didn't get we were playing. Subs too late again and we bring on Dervite to sit in front of the back four and took off Stewart for Green, put Stephens on the left which left us with the same problem but on the other wing! Clueless.

Well-taken goal aside, they switched off from a throw-in and other than Church's chance, that was it.

That was worse than the Middlesbrough game, and that's saying something. Heartless, gutless. Pathetic.

• Didn't think Wednesday were any better than us and a draw was fair.

You wasn't there .End of.
  • Green's delivery is brilliant. He should play every game
  • OP, seriously, who is your number 3?

I reckon the fat cock with his top off would do you lot a better job.

Surely he can't play left back for you every game? He can't even kick it properly.

On another note, didn't realise how much of a unit that Conor Wickham was. Thought he'd left the hanger in his shirt!

Reda Johnson.
  • edited December 2013

Didn't think Wednesday were any better than us and a draw was fair.

Sort of agree. However a decent team would of pissed all over us. You had à lot of the ball in the final third but your finishing was comedy and everyone could see why you are in the position you are at the moment. It was à game that lived up to expectation.

We were abysmal today and still got à point. That should worry you more.
    Yeah it does, I can only go by the commentary because I didn't go but had it of been a good playing surface I think we'd of gone on to win by a few, you had one shot on target all game which was the goal we gifted you and for a home side that is equally worrying.

I thought we'd scored a second but it was cleared off the line.

• unbeaten in 3, 5 points when many feared none. more to come NYD. Onwards and upwards. Re. Massive, two aways two points, should have won both according to Gray, Wickham ending loan, tata enjoy the derby if Blades can hang on in Div 1.
  • edited December 2013
    @operationpig Don't get excited by getting a point today. Make no mistake Wednesday are truly awful and will be at the bottom end all the way. Think we were worse than you today but can be better. Don't think you can be.
  • I'm a big Powell fan but substitutions today were nothing short of a fucking joke. 1-1 at home to Wednesday and we had a midfield with Dervite and Cousins in the middle and Stephens on the left - baffling. Team was wrong from the outset too, fuming.
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited December 2013
    Utterly dire and disjointed Charlton performance lacking in cohesion and quality. Charlton missed Solly and Wiggins. I do not ever want to see Stephens at right midfield ever again. Totally unsuited to that position. That first half quality was very definitely of League one. Not one Charlton shot on target.

It was lucky that Wednesday are such a poor team as any half decent team would have put Charlton to the sword. Charlton were very lucky to get a point. I would be disappointed if I were a Wednesday fan to go home without all 3.

The shocking thing is that if Church was any good as a striker with the chance at the end that Charlton could have taken all 3 points, which would have been a travesty and robbery of massive proportions. These things do happen in football, which is why football is such a great game.

Sometimes your team plays well and loses and sometimes plays direly and gets something from the match. Today was one of those days. Charlton were lucky to walk away with a point. I am glad for that. Wednesday need to win games like that if they are going to avoid relegation.

The pitch is a disgrace and would shame a non league club. If the Belgium takeover happens, a plan needs to be made to sort it out properly. A decent playing surface encourages better passing football.The game and the pitch shows the chronic lack of investment in the club.
  • simmer down mate, sense of proportion etc.
  • WSSWSS
    edited December 2013
    CAFCsayer said:

I'm a big Powell fan but substitutions today were nothing short of a fucking joke. 1-1 at home to Wednesday and we had a midfield with Dervite and Cousins in the middle and Stephens on the left - baffling. Team was wrong from the outset too, fuming.

Out of interest, what would've your starting lineup been?

• WSS said:

Green's delivery is brilliant. He should play every game

Lol because Powell can't be defended today. You give Green stick why? 2 out of 3 of his corners were dangerous. Don't forget the corner flag down by the east stand was a puddle of mud and the fact he probably has no confidence as Powell has treated him like shit all season.
  • I was being sincere.
  • edited December 2013
    Does anyone know where Pritchard is/was today?

My midfield would've been Pritch-Stephens-Cousins-Stewart. Failing that, Church-Stephens-Cousins-Stewart with Yann/Sordell up front. Or Jacko playing off Yann. Many better options available than the one Powell picked IMO.
  • simmer down mate, sense of proportion etc.

Which contribution are you talking about ?

• If jackson had to play today would have made more sense to play 4-3-3 with stewart and church outside kerm, no idea what powell was thinking but at least we didnt lose
  • If jackson had to play today would have made more sense to play 4-3-3 with stewart and church outside kerm, no idea what powell was thinking but at least we didnt lose

The team set up was wrong today. Glad for the point as well.
  • I would've also been tempted to go 4-5-1/4-3-3 today (although no doubt that would be seen as negative at home).

With Solly, Wiggins, Pritchard and Harriot all crocked and/or indisposed we had to make do. The fact that Lennon and Piggot were on the bench shows how short we are.

I would've probably started Green on the right with Jacko left on the bench if anything...