Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Snooker updates

Comments

• My favourite for last few years is Neil Robertson.
    Just seems to be a nice guy and like the way he plays.

Can't stand Shaun Murphy or John Higgins.
  • Yeah for an aussie he is down to earth and decent. His game has improved remarkably as well. Was fascinating to see him develop his safety game.

My favorites

1. Alex higgins
    2. Ronnie
    3. Steve "charlton" davis
    4. whirlwind white...go on jimmeeeehhh
    5. Ding - massive respect for him, he takes a lot of stick.

Ones i have never liked
    1. mark allen

• Stephen Maguire beat Neil Robertson 3-0 in the Group 4 final
    So far that means
    Group 1=Ricky Walden
    Group 2=Joe Perry
    Group 3=Judd Trump
    Group 4-Stephen Maguire

Group 5 is 10-11 February

The Snooker shootout in Blackpool starts at 6 tonight
    Every frame is 10 Minutes
    First 5 minutes 15 second shot clock, Second 5 minutes 10 second shot clock
    The players have to either pot a ball or hit a cushion with every shot or its a foul
    All fouls are ball in hand
    The players lag for break
    Not many ties but if it is a tie its settled by Blue ball not Black ball

Current champion is Martin Gould
  • My Top Five

1) Steve Davis
    2) Ronnie O'Sullivan - The only post Pot Black player who I have any feelings for.
    3) Ray Reardon
    4) John Spencer
    5) Graham Miles - He did a personal appearance and Master Class at a holiday camp I was at in the 70's and did things with a snooker ball that I had never seen live before or since.
  • Damn at work but thanks for reminder will record the lot this weekend as they are usually good fun.

My Fave)
    1. Ronnie
    2.Robertson
  • It was won by Dominic Dale
    He seemed to be the crowd favourite
    And once he won sung a bit of My Way by Frank Sinatra
    32 thousand to him for winning
    2 thousand for Ryan Day for the high break which was 101(the only century)
  • Riviera said:

My Top Five

5) Graham Miles - He did a personal appearance and Master Class at a holiday camp I was at in the 70's and did things with a snooker ball that I had never seen live before or since.

I saw David Taylor (aka the silver fox) at Butlins in the late 70's - seeing him close up you wondered how anyone could beat him. In truth he was probably a very good second division player compared to the Ray Reardons and John Spencers who were the top men at the time. They always reckoned Willie Thorne was the best but never quite showed it in tournaments.

• It was won by Dominic Dale

Not really that into me snooker anymore but enjoyed the shoot out format.

Are there any more comps like that paulie?
  • Riviera said:

My Top Five

I saw David Taylor (aka the silver fox) at Butlins in the late 70's - seeing him close up you wondered how anyone could beat him. In truth he was probably a very good second division player compared to the Ray Reardons and John Spencers who were the top men at the time. They always reckoned Willie Thorne was the best but never quite showed it in tournaments.
    If he hadnt missed that blue, might have got the confidence to win some majors.
    Talks a lot of twaddle though.
  • mrbligh said:

It was won by Dominic Dale

Not really that into me snooker anymore but enjoyed the shoot out format.

Are there any more comps like that paulie?
    Na its just that one every season players say they enjoy it but only as a one off
    Premier League snooker did have a shot clock but that stopped last year
  • Sponsored links:

• 5. Ding - massive respect for him, he takes a lot of stick.

That's very nice of you.He gets stick even from Chinese people,which I think is simply ridiculous.Ronnie O'Sullivan's my favourite player but there's no doubt that I always hope Ding does well in whatever tournament.
  • MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

My Top Five

If he hadnt missed that blue, might have got the confidence to win some majors.
    Talks a lot of twaddle though.
    I saw Willie Thorne in his club in Leicester one weekend, Davis was playing Hendry in the Worlds semi final and everyone was watching it on the big screen. Thorne turned it over to watch the racing. Then he sat at the kalooki table with a huge wad of cash. I didn't see him get his cue out once. He was a talented player but no bottle and not a good match player.
  • Loved Dale's rendition of My way, enjoyed the whole weekend really. It has mixed reviews but i like it and will appeal for the non snooker lot, so could get more people involved in the game or at least watching.

Glad he won, seems like a fun lad. Actually thought he was gay, but obviously wouldn't have made a difference he just seems a bit camp, impressed with un nooh aswell who got a 88 break in 3minutes 22seconds, looks quicker even then Ronnie & Drago, he will be class if he can get a safety game to go with and already beat Ronnie recently although suggestions Ronnie didn't want to be there shocker

German Masters tomorrow, Snookerblog i read is tipping Maguire. I'd be suprised if Selby or Robertson aren't there abouts, no Ronnie not sure why as previously he loves events in Germany.
  • START OF GERMAN MASTERS TODAY

3 top 16 players already out

Stuart Bingham Lost to Peter Lines
    Mark Allen Lost to Anthony McGill
    Marco Fu Lost to Paul S Davison

And some upset with the more unheard of players but in the snooker are still upsets
    Marcus Campbell losing to Rod Lawler
    Aditya Mehta losing to Joel Walker
    Ali Carter(Defending Champion) losing to Dechawat Poomjaeng
    Peter Ebdon lost to Alan McManus

The most disappointing results probably being
    Steve Davis losing 5-2 to Dominic Dale
    Jimmy White losing 5-1 to Xiao Guodong
    Both players are hanging on to there tour card for next season by a thread and these loses will really hurt them

the last 8 round 1 matches are 10:00 GMT tomorrow then round 2 starts at 15:00 GMT

My update on tomorrow(which know one will probably read) will come about this time again
  • Rod Lawlor is still a pro!?
  • Some big Stories came out of day 2

Tian Pengfei beat Neil Robertson 5-1
    Kurt Maflin beat Mark Selby 5-3
    Dominic Dale beat John Higgins 5-3
    Liang Wenbo beat Stephen Maguire 5-3

So thats Neil Robertson, Mark Selby, John Higgins and Stephen Maguire who join Stuart Bingham, Mark Allen and Marco Fu as Seeded players knocked out.

This is what the Hearn Revolution has done IMO it is fantastic.

Rod Lawler was 4-1 down went to 4-3 then the game was pulled off the table due to the time finished when there was a free table tonight and Rod Lawler completed the comeback to win 5-4.

Round 3 is at 13:00 tomorrow and the quarter finals at 20:00 again both GMT
  • So the story of yesterday Day 3

No big shocks in round 3
    the only shock in the quarters was Rod Lawler beating Mark Davis

So the Semi Final line up
    Ryan Day V Ding Junhui
    Judd Trump V Rod Lawler
  • i am a big Ronnie fan , and love playing snooker, the best days of snooker for me was when Steve Davis was top dog , I think he took snooker to a different level, I have had my own snooker room on my house for 15 years , but am totally transfixed by Steve and Ronnie , I'd like to be able to play like them , but no matter how much i practice ...
  • raymondao said:

i am a big Ronnie fan , and love playing snooker, the best days of snooker for me was when Steve Davis was top dog , I think he took snooker to a different level, I have had my own snooker room on my house for 15 years , but am totally transfixed by Steve and Ronnie , I'd like to be able to play like them , but no matter how much i practice ...

I wished I had a snooker table in my house
  • THE SEMI FINALS
    Ding Junhui beat Ryan Day 6-5
    Judd Trump beat Rod Lawler 6-1

THE FINAL
    Ding Junhui V Judd Trump

Ding Junhui's first final since he beat Marco Fu 10-9 in the International Championships in Chengdu on 3rd November
    Judd Trump's first final since he lost 4-1 to Mark Allen in ET6 in Gloucester on 10th November

The winner gets £64,800
    the runner up gets £28.350
    The high break gets just over £3,000 which ATM goes to Michael Holt who got a 143

No matter what happens Ding Junhui will remain 3rd in the world and Judd Trump will remain 4th
  • Sponsored links:

• WINNER Ding Junhui who beat Judd Trump 9-5
    Michael Holt did get the High break prize with his 143 in the 4th frame of his 3rd round match against Alan McManus

Three days of now until the start of the Gdynia Open (ET8)
    a few big names will be there
    Selby
    Williams
    Higgins
    Trump
    Fu
    Robertson
    Bingham

177 Players in total will be there would not be surprised if a lower ranked player went far
    maybe Jeff Cundy(170)
    or Oliver Lines(148) his dad will also be taking part Peter Lines(58)
  • edited February 2014
    Decided to wait until today to update this as the first day the lower ranked players where playing

So a update on ET8 from Poland

I was wrong about Oliver Lines who lost in Round 3
    and Jeff Cundy also lost in Round 3

So now my poor prediction are over and done with
    Matt Stevens lost 4-1 to Anthony Hamilton in Round 4 (his first round)
    Mark Selby then lost 4-3 to Hamilton
    Mark Davis lost 4-1 to Martin O'Donnell in round 5

The bad news continued for Steve Davis and Jimmy White, White lost in Round 5 4-1 to Barry Hawkins and Davis lost in round 6 losing 4-3 to Judd Trump,

Thats the biggest names out so far I wont be commentating on the draw as it still is confusing,

Due to the layout and how many players we already know some round 7 matches despite Round 4 being only half complete,

Anyway thats the update for tonight more after our win Home to the Brummies tomorrow.
  • Shaun Murphy got a Maximum today in his Round 7 match against Jamie Jones
    That is the 104th in Snooker history (Murphy also got the 103rd back in January)

And is Murphy's 3rd professional 147 his first was 2001 which takes him joint 5th,
    he now joins Bingham,Cope and Wattana who all have 3

Judd Trump got a 147 in ET7 which means Murphys prize is £500
  • Been busy so never updated

Shaun Murphy beat Fergal O'Brien 4-1 To win ET8

His first tournament win in 29 Months
  • China Open Qualifiers start today:

IMO the key things are the matches involving Davis and White,

As I have said before both are holding on to the place on the tour by thread, So both could do with going through.

Steve Davis V Michael Wasley is at 2:30 on 16/2/14
    Jimmy White V Joe Swail is at 2:30 on 18/2/14

Would be nice to see both win and qualify for the China Open
  • I love Steve Davis. We went to the same primary school.
  • Riviera said:

I love Steve Davis. We went to the same primary school.

I am jealous now, I thought it was me you loved Riv
  • Calm down Paulie and stop grooming me.
  • Day 1 of qualifying for the China Open

Matthew Stevens was whitewashed against James Wattana
    Joe Perry lost 5-2 to Duane Jones(seeded 125 out of the 128 entrants)
    Robert Milkins lost 5-3 to Gary Wilson
    and unfortunately Steve Davis lost 5-3 to Michael Wasley so he will now be watching Ian Burns V Craig Steadman closely
    with Pankaj Advani winning 5-2 Its very important for Jimmy White to win his match to avoid having to go to Q School
  • I'm not a huge Snooker fan. Watch just the big tournaments when they are on tv. Intresting reading the competitions the players get involved in. Why are Davis and White still losing :(