Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stephens done deal (sold to Brighton)

edited January 2014 in Rumours
Stephens deal has been done with Brighton,

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10974169._/?

Comments

• Thousand Thread Thursday
  • Getting REALLY angry now...Come back MS/ TJ, all is forgiven!
  • This has got me thinking about chants we might expect to hear in future games:

Barnsley: Don't you wish we played in Jan?
    Blackburn: Steve Kean, why don't you try Steve Kean?
    Brighton: We all dream of a team of Dale Stephens.
    Huddersfield: ... We all agree, John Smith's is better than Stella.
    Bournemouth: You're just our feeder club, you're just our feeder club.
    Yeovil: You can stick your Belgian waffles up your arse.
    Leicester: Where's your Kermit gone, where's your Kermit gone?
    Watford: I would rather be Italian than Belgian.
    Millwall: Milll...
  • This is a nightmare. I will wake up soon.
  • Football suicide, team spirit will be dead, all we needed was a few reinforcements!
  • I cant see how TJ and MS can really be blamed here.

Once the cash dried up we werent in a position to offer them anything. However, I never once felt that they were likely to sell our best players/sack our manager and I certainly do now.

Be careful what you wish for

Once the cash dried up we werent in a position to offer them anything. However, I never once felt that they were likely to sell our best players/sack our manager and I certainly do now.

You answered it yourself "When the cash dried up" That was 18 months ago when Cash said "no more" and since then they let the club run down while asking silly numbers for the Club (£40m) finally selling for £14m (not the £20m Slater tried to spin).

What has happened since is down to RD but the state he found when he took over is down to TJ and MS
  • Getting REALLY angry now...Come back MS/ TJ, all is forgiven!

It's their fault we're in this mess.
  • So, when is Morrison off then??
  • Sponsored links:

• I felt much more comfortable with MS/TJ than I do with Roland, even if just after three weeks. The only damning arguments against them were usually tripe spouted on Charlton Life.

What Roland has done to our current side is clear for all to see.

Sorry, but cannot agree.

The whole point is that you re-sign players BEFORE they even start thinking about talking to other clubs.

The last owners allowed contracts to run down so by the time Duchatelet came on board the players/agents had obviously been weighing up their options and almost certainly talking to other clubs and seeing what is on offer out there.

Duchatelet may or may not be a complete arsehole, we will find out soon enough, but in this instance he was handed an absolute hospital pass by the last owners because the players have all the power as they can leave for free in the summer.

You might allow one player's contract to run down to six months, but not as many as we have because you leave yourself totally exposed once the window opens.

Madness.
  • cafctom said:

I felt much more comfortable with MS/TJ than I do with Roland, even if just after three weeks. The only damning arguments against them were usually tripe spouted on Charlton Life.

What Roland has done to our current side is clear for all to see.

What he's done was only possible cos of the mess that TJ/MS left us in.

• rather than comparing who is worse, isn't the fact, between them they have / are destroyed / destroying the club. As Prague said this is something I want to wake up from. .... Its a nightmare!!
  • If tj and ms had extended more contracts beyond the summer, would Roland have been as interested in buying us?
    Seems to me that the cleaner the slate in the summer, the more attractive we were to Roland.
  • I like Dale a lot, think he's a talented player, BUT he's wanted to move for 18 months, and has been rumoured to have been unsettled for a while.

Think Brighton from a footballing view is a good move for him, as he'll suit there style, from a personal point of view, I find it odd as being up north was the main factor in him wanting away
  • edited January 2014
    But Roland did have a choice - sign up Powell and listen to him re player contracts. Instead he has chosen a different way. So not entirely the previous regime's fault....(and I have never particularly stood up for them in the past.)
  • Cutting all the speculation away.... If a club that's willing to operate on bigger losses than us, and willing to offer bigger wages than us, talks to our players with six months on their contract.... the most blindingly obvious conclusion is that an individual would sign. Especially when Brighton have a chance of promotion. This could be their life defining payday. Stephen's will almost certainly have left at the end of the season and is not irreplaceable.

Making conclusions on RD's strategy from this, is beyond ludicrous. Let's wait and see.
  • But Roland did have a choice - sign up Powell and listen to him re player contracts. Instead he has chisen a different way. So not entirely the previous regime's fault....

Its not a question of RD listening to Powell on player contracts, by the time RD arrived the contracts had been allowed to run down far too far and the players/agents were already scouting for new deals.

That's the whole point of signing them up at least a year before the existing deal expires, it keeps the bargaining power in the hands of the club.

Once you get to the January (when RD took over) then its too late, even if we offered these players contracts they would already have received "assurances" that they could get better elsewhere.

Unfortunately its not as simple as saying, "Sorry about the clusterfuck these last 18 months boys, anyway if you wouldn't mind just signing this new deal....."

If only it were!
  • But Roland did have a choice - sign up Powell and listen to him re player contracts. Instead he has chisen a different way. So not entirely the previous regime's fault....

The players involved have been offered deals, they've chosen to go elsewhere, as is there right
  • Sponsored links:

• What has happened since is down to RD but the state he found when he took over is down to TJ and MS

So he just spent £14m with no due diligence and only found out the state you were in when the deal had gone through?

• Exciting times. Now looking forward go the rest of the season. Only way is up! Cheer up chaps, I am sure that good news is on the way.
  • Do all these signings speak good English, or are we going to need a team of translators?
  • ^^^ Things all sound a bit better now, not worrying as much i was ! Getting Wiggins signed up is huge
  • Rhoys Wiggins been offered four-and-a-half-year contract by #cafc. Set to stay.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) January 30, 2014

Very much like the sound of that.
  • Great news on Wiggins - shows the club does want to keep players but clearly not at any price.

If Yann and Stephens turned down what they were offered because they had been offered more elsewhere then what can you really do?
  • Rhoys Wiggins been offered four-and-a-half-year contract by #cafc. Set to stay.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) January 30, 2014

must have a dodgey knee and be career threatening

Solly
  • edited January 2014
    When I woke up this morning I knew all of our players now I don't know half of them......to hell with it, I'm going into hibernation until 11.01 tomorrow night. Can someone then send me a PM with all the ins and outs and those staying on with new contracts please and let me know if we are still called Charlton Athletic. Night night :-)