Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Too little too late

After the initial flurry of amazing activity both in and out on Thursday and the confirmation of Yanns departure on Friday I think that we are screwed. For just a little while it looked like we might just pull it all out of the fire with rumours of Rumbaka (sp) and Gradel plus others but it was not to be. The strike force is unknown and inexperienced in the Championship and whilst our defence remains intact our already suspect midfield has been weakened to the point of desperation. I am disappointed and expecting relegation now. We have missed our chance of salvation and although I will cheer to the very end I think that's it.

Comments

• Well, I've got a train to Wigan to catch in the morning so on that rather pessimistic (realistic?) note Shooters, I'm going to bed.

Remember folks, don't have nightmares.
  • Don't think we more doomed than before tbh. My doomage monitor is still reading the same as before but its misleading see, cos instead of 100% chance of 100% doom its now saying 50% chance of 200% doom and 50% chance of 0% doom.

All we can do now is sit back and enjoy the ride.
  • Loan window is still open aint it?
    Loans are just as important as permanent signings at this point. Its just about making it to the summer still in the championship.
  • Fingers crossed for tomorrow then hope for an experienced loanee midfielder to arrive next week
  • We are not bottom three for no reason shg

• Unless Astrid / Cousins / Poyet and Jackson springs a surprise at midfield, it will need strengthening. The strikers look like they could be decent but where is the service from. I hope a decent out of contract player can arrive or someone in the emergency window. It will be a shame to have two decent strikers and not see them score because the midfield was neglected.

Maybe when the press release said about strengthening the midfield they were talking about the summer ?
  • Maybe us as supporters can play a part, we've all been to games where the crowd have influenced games hugely.
    Maybe I'm being a bit naive but isn't it now time with the window shut we can look at what can do to influence proceedings
    We're all pretty vocal on how things can/will go wrong
    CP has asked for our support, we have young players who will have some level confidence coming in based on form with no preceding baggage of previous owners/contracts etc
    We need to get behind and support them, it's as important as anything else right now
  • Never give up! I support a club not a player. Birmingham is a big, big game. I rate us 60% to avoid the drop...we will all know by end of Feb whether we are in with a shout.
    Belt up and enjoy the ride :)
  • Sponsored links:

• I've put my rose tinted glasses back on.

Now I can see we're only 2 games from Wembley.

Up the Addicks!

• I'm sure they all have quality and lots of potential and look forward to see if they show it but, The worry I have is how the new players adapt now to England, Charlton and The Championship, and how inexprienced they are being chucked in the deep end of a League which is a lot more competitive. Reza (26) 120 odd games, Yohann (25) 85 odd games, Loic (23) 20 odd games, Astrit (23) 90 odd games, PP (20) 50 Odd games, Koc (19) 1 game.

Alnwick was our current 1st choice keeper proven himself, Stephens improved so much and our best midfielder technically our playmaker and a set-piece taker and Kermorgant our talisman leading goalscorer and target man. It will have a knock on effect on the balance of the team, Out of the squad who can take over those positions and do their roles to the same standard or greater right now?

CPs Job is now a lot harder as he now has to assess everyone as to who is fit and ready to play, his system, who plays where and what role in theroy and then practical at training as well as manage the games coming thick and fast. The disruption this week will effect his prep for the Wigan Game, for me when your in a regulation battle you need stability and everyone needs to be together working towards the same objective.
  • I think it's been a pretty poor window for us & am disappointed that we have lost 3 very decent players for 3 complete unknowns.

Putting that aside though I'll be praying & hoping for 3 points tomorrow & that we can climb out of trouble. The new players & especially Powell have my full support.

What's done is done, it is what it is etc etc etc

Come on you Addicks stuff Wigan....
  • The whole thing is fucking bullshit, but we're nailed on to get 3 points later today, mark my words
  • At the moment i agree with SHG.

We have made a huge gamble. I too believe as it stands we will be relegated. I hope i am wrong.
  • edited February 2014
    We'll stay up, I am quite confident.
  • We have changed our striking dynamic and that could be a good thing - but we won't know straight away - and possibly will be no wiser at 5pm today. Yann was in good form and most likely scorer in games. Midfield is the issue though. Stephens was starting to be very influencial and struck up a great partnership with Cousins. But there are better players than Stephens so we can strengthen. I would have liked us to do that in the window, but surely there must be a plan B - and It can't be to get relegated? We also have the creative player problem that was there before losing Yann and Stephens. Gradel would have been a likely solution, but we missed out on him. Maybe this Nego kid may allow us to play wing backs. Lots of ifs, buts and maybes but feels like we are two short if we want to fix our season - and if we bring in loans, they have to be good ones and we can't delay.
  • There are not enough games left to blend in and try and sort out a settled side. Its a little too late, which club in a relagation zone sells their best striker, best midfelder and current No 1 goalkeeper, why Charlton of course never known anything like it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Far too many people already waving their white flag.

You're a Charlton supporter, we've been in worse positions than this and survived.

Man up and get behind the boys.

Agreed, but in my mind we needed a strong transfer window. We may well get lucky, but in my mind it has been a total and utter disaster.

You're a Charlton supporter, we've been in worse positions than this and survived.

Agreed, but in my mind we needed a strong transfer window. We may well get lucky, but in my mind it has been a total and utter disaster.
    Not least for our manager
  • We have to bring in a couple of strong loanees and they won't be cheap. A strong window would have seen us through - but as we stand now, our approach is incredibly risky.
  • Need 3 players now in my view all with experience and proven ability at this level

It like to have seen one or two more, and we might see a free or loan come in over the next few days.

I'm very confident in the new front two, CP says he's been keeping an eye on PP for a while, so I think he really rates him. Reza is an unknown, but a new opportunity for him and in form or his country can only be a good thing.

Midfield we have lost Dale, which is a miss, but with two new forward who will offer something different, we might actually use our midfield (JJ, the swedish kid, cousins all like the ball at their feet) instead of them being bypassed and chasing shadows for 90 mins.

The new full back may allow Wilson to move into his preferred and more effective role at RM. Let's see what he's like.

None of us are expecting much from today's game and it would have been the same with Stephens and Yann here, but I think those that go might end up being suprised.
  • We have no width or pace of a decent enough quality
  • We were surprised last week at Huddersfield. A perfect day would provide evidence that our new front two are going to be a hot prospect - but Charlton don't do perfect days......do they?
  • 2 strikers who are young with no experience. A midfield that is simply no where near good enough. Loanees in the team and hoping more to come to save the day!

What happens if Cousins or this Polish guy get injured. We have no depth in squad at all.

Can't even bring myself to tune in to the Wigan game.

I was on a football low after our insipid display Tuesday, the last couple of days have not improved that.

Hope they prove me wrong.
  • It's just been one big cost cutting exercise.
  • Don't stop believing and yes, throw the white flags away. Let's be having you