Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official World Snooker Championship 2014 thread

No Golden Nugget, no Whirlwind and to cap it all: no Peter Ebdon!
Apart from Ronnie, what is the point of watching?

Over to you Paulie........

Comments

• Some great up and coming players including debuts for
    Xiao Guodong
    Michael Wasley
    Robbie Williams

Also Robin Hull who appeared at The Crucible in 2002 and retired in 2008 due to health concerns is back and has made it this year.

Would also like to make a few more points:
    Ding Junhui equaled Stephen Hendry's record of 5 ranking titles in 1 season and is looking on form
    Kyren Wilson and Michael White are also promising youngsters
    Ken Doherty and Alan McManus are there and doing it for the oldies

and Dafabet will be donating £100 for every century to the official charity of World Snooker Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice in Sheffield, The record is 83 but with the way some of these players are playing I would not be surprised to see that go past 100 this year.

IMO it will be well worth watching, more than happy to update people on here if enough people say it will be worth my time
  • Please do mate, save me watching. I will follow the final though, always do.
  • Riviera said:

Please do mate, save me watching. I will follow the final though, always do.

Only had 1 vote of yes so far lol

• Yes I would read it
  • i'd read it if you provide betting tips

I can do, although my tips are not the best in the world lol

Will give you my first 1 for the first two matches tomorrow staring at 10:00

O'Sullivan minus 6.5 and Bingham minus 4.5 as a double on paddy power is around 4/1

Cant see betting for centuries but if you can find it anywhere I would say at least 5 in both games
  • Love a snooker thread paulie am a big fan
  • Thats 4 votes for a yes
    1 more and I am happy to do it
    And nothing from my Brother yet
  • Hoping Robertson wins. If not him although I like Ronnie would be nice to see Selby get his first title.

Reckon Ding won't reach semis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Where's the old snooker thread??? Anyway, Paulie another yes from me so that's enough votes now :-)
  • Always interested in your take Paulie. Never really played the game myself but enjoy watching it so interesting to get a player's perspective.
  • Just getting ready to start:

Ronnie O'Sullivan V Robin Hull on Table 1
    Stuart Bingham V Ken Doherty on Table 2

Really hope Hull has learnt something from beating Ebdon in final round of qualifying, Ebdon really knows how to annoy O'Sullivan, which is the best way to stop him
  • edited April 2014

Where's the old snooker thread??? Anyway, Paulie another yes from me so that's enough votes now :-)

I stopped it as I did not think enough people was reading it for it to be worth me spending my time writing it lol
  • Where's the old snooker thread??? Anyway, Paulie another yes from me so that's enough votes now :-)

I stopped it as I did not think enough people was reading it for it to be worth me spending my time writing it lol
    Plenty read it Paulie. They may not comment but they read it.
  • Mid Session interval scores in both game

Ronnie O'Sullivan 3-1 Robin Hull
    Stuart Bingham 3-1 Ken Doherty
  • Hi would appreciate the updates. Big snooker fan, even had some lessons a year or so ago. Never got that much better.

Used to follow Ray Reardon...god that shows my age! Wouldn't it be great if the old timers had a competition...Davis, White, Griffiths, Reardon, Taylor, Throburn etc. guess the game has moved on quite a bit.

Paulie, a question for you. Do you know much about functional snooker? I work as a Deputy Head in a primary school and would be interested in promoting school in schools. Don't know much about it apart from the fact that it promotes Maths and English skills.

Any info appreciated.
  • That should have read promoting snooker in schools!
  • Hi would appreciate the updates. Big snooker fan, even had some lessons a year or so ago. Never got that much better.

Used to follow Ray Reardon...god that shows my age! Wouldn't it be great if the old timers had a competition...Davis, White, Griffiths, Reardon, Taylor, Throburn etc. guess the game has moved on quite a bit.

Paulie, a question for you. Do you know much about functional snooker? I work as a Deputy Head in a primary school and would be interested in promoting school in schools. Don't know much about it apart from the fact that it promotes Maths and English skills.

Any info appreciated.

They do its The World Senior Championships
    Dene O’Kane v Nigel Bond
    Tony Knowles v Darren Morgan
    Tony Drago v Dave Harold
    Steve Davis v Dennis Taylor
    Doug Mountjoy v Jimmy White
    Alain Robidoux v Tony Chappel
    Cliff Thorburn v Philip Williams
    Joe Johnson v Stephen Hendry

that was the first round draw last year

Current champion is Steve Davis

Any info appreciated.

if you email chris.lovell@nltg.co.uk he can give you information on how to get your school involved with cue zone
    which is getting stronger and stronger all the time

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/CueZoneIntoSchools

if you click that link it will give you some more information including case studies and a video
  • Sponsored links:

• End of the opening sessions of this years Dafabet World Championship

Ronnie O'Sullivan 7-2 Robin Hull will finish tonight session starts at 19:00
    Stuart Bingham 5-4 Ken Doherty will finish tomorrow morning session starts at 10:00

Next matches are underway at 14:30 this afternoon
    Shaun Murphy V Jamie Cope-Murphy has struggled this season but picked it up over the last month(My outsider to win the tournament)
    Stephen Maguire V Ryan Day-Maguire normally does very well early on in tournaments but when it gets to Semi's and Final's he bottles it.
  • Paulie I hope you are right in your predictions as regards the total centuries during the tournament as ive bought at 68 on the spreads.Only bets so far today is over 15.5 frames in the Bingham v Doherty match and S.Maguire to win.O'Sullivan looks like the overall winner to me and have opposed D.Junhui.
  • Paulie I hope you are right in your predictions as regards the total centuries during the tournament as ive bought at 68 on the spreads.Only bets so far today is over 15.5 frames in the Bingham v Doherty match and S.Maguire to win.O'Sullivan looks like the overall winner to me and have opposed D.Junhui.

Not looking good, Maguire been complaining about a bad back for a few weeks now seems to be affecting him today 5-2 behind
  • End of The Afternoon Session of day 1

Stephen Maguire 3-6 Ryan Day
    Shaun Murphy 4-5 Jamie Cope
    Both matches finish in the Evening Session tomorrow starting at 19:00

The Evening Session
    Ronnie O'Sullivan 7-2 Robin Hull to play to a finish
    Ali Carter V Xiao Guodong(Xiao Guodong making his crucible debut)
  • TeacherAddick said:
    Hi would appreciate the updates. Big snooker fan, even had some lessons a year or so ago. Never got that much better.

Any info appreciated.

if you email chris.lovell@nltg.co.uk he can give you information on how to get your school involved with cue zone

if you click that link it will give you some more information including case studies and a video

Thanks for that information. Really appreciate it.

Does Ray Reardon not play in the seniors any more....guess he is too old!
  • TeacherAddick said:
    Hi would appreciate the updates. Big snooker fan, even had some lessons a year or so ago. Never got that much better.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks for that information. Really appreciate it.

Does Ray Reardon not play in the seniors any more....guess he is too old!

No he only appeared in the 2010 event but not been there since
  • End of Evening Session

Ronnie O'Sullivan 10-4 Robin Hull
    Ali Carter 5-4 Xiao Guodong

So to recap on the opening day:

O'Sullivan beat Robin Hull 10-4 to advance to the 2nd round, which as its not till Thursday means he will probably go home for a couple of days, expect to see Robin Hull start to get to the later stages of tournaments, seem to be playing well considering he has had a 8 year absence due to his health.
    Jamie Cope looked very good in the opening session taking a 5-4 lead into tomorrow against Shaun Murphy
    Ken Doherty came from 3-0 down to only 1 behind as Stuart Bingham takes a 5-4 lead into tomorrow
    Xiao Guodong making his Crucible debut is 5-4 behind to the Captain Ali Carter

The shock of the day tho was Ryan Day taking a 6-3 lead into tomorrow against Stephen Maguire(who has been complaining of a bad back)

Centuries have been a bit disappointing only seeing 4 so far Ryan Day getting the highest break with a 130

So that ends the first of 17 days at Sheffield for the Dafabet World Championship onto tomorrow I say

The morning Session starting at 10:00

Stuart Bingham 5-4 Ken Doherty to play to a finish
    Joe Perry V Jamie Burnett(A nice England V Scotland battle there, and Joe Perry is one of the nicest players on the circuit, Jamie Burnett is probably most famous among snooker fans for being the first player to get over 147 in a professional match when he got a 148 in Qualifying for the 2004 UK Championship)
  • Couple of correct scores on D.Jinhui today 10-1,10-2,10-3 and have backed him in the tournament highest break market
  • Day 2 Morning session and what a session it was for Crafty Ken Doherty

Stuart Bingham 5-10 Ken Doherty (Remember it started 5-4 to Bingham today)
    Joe Perry 3-6 Jamie Burnett- (Will finish tomorrow morning starting at 10:00)

No century breaks this morning, I think I might of cursed the century breaks by saying there would be a lot.

The afternoon session will see:
    Ding Junhui V Michael Wasley (A 5 time ranking winner this season against a player making his Crucible debut)
    Ali Carter 5-4 Xiao Guodong (It was very close yesterday, I expect a final frame decider in this one)
  • The total centuries isn't looking good and my more than 15.5 frames in the Bingham match sums it up!