Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why holidaying in UK is good...

Need some help...my missus is determined that we fly to Costa somewhere, Egypt or somewhere like that. I have had made no headway at all in my suggestion of holidaying here, probably because I have no experience of holidaying here.

Like the new car we have, want to take the pooch - any experiences of why going Lake District, Cornwall, Devon, Wales etc. would be really appreciated, couple of key words is all and I'll google to have a butchers.

Holidaying for a fortnight, back end of August, two of us plus two boys 14/13 and pooch.

Thanks

Comments

• Won't get the tom tits
  • We always have a week at the Aviemore Highland Resort,
    loads of things to do locally to wear the boys out.
  • Peak District, Lake District, Yorkshire Dales or most of mid to north Wales. Stunning landscape, great food, great beer, good people and you won't see or experience anywhere like it on any all inclusive holiday if you go t'Egypt.
  • North Devon. Not stupidly far, absolutely beautiful, great beaches, lots to do - walking, cycling, canoeing, fishing, sailing, surfing, stuffing your faces or just lying in the sun.
  • Just looked at getting a Haven caravan for a short break with my two little uns.

600 for a 4 night, 833 for a 7 night. Yet just a few weeks later when the schools are back it will be 45 quid on the Sun 9.50 holidays.

Crazy money, 150 a night for a self catering caravan.
  • Oh Sunbury, there are so many fantastic places in the UK to explore, you can so easily tailor a break to suit everyone. Don't rule out Isle of Wight either, great place.
  • IdleHans said:

North Devon. Not stupidly far, absolutely beautiful, great beaches, lots to do - walking, cycling, canoeing, fishing, sailing, surfing, stuffing your faces or just lying in the sun.

Seconded - Croyde is lovely, for one.
  • No airports involved.
  • Sponsored links:

• No (well, less) johnny foreigners - plus, no rip off on FX, and, no possibility of French ATC strikes.
  • Just looked at getting a Haven caravan for a short break with my two little uns.

600 for a 4 night, 833 for a 7 night. Yet just a few weeks later when the schools are back it will be 45 quid on the Sun 9.50 holidays.

Crazy money, 150 a night for a self catering caravan.

There you go mate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221483370148?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

a bit more sensible!

• My mate's got a holiday house in Braunton, north Devon...5 mins from Croyde, 2 mins from Saunton Sands...beautiful, beautiful part of the world and 4 or so hours by car from London (if you go quite fast...) I'll see if it's available...
  • Cornwall, anywhere down there
  • Lyme Regis is a brilliant seaside town for kids and grown-ups.
    Southwold is a wonderful coastal town in Suffolk - excellent campsite 10 mins walk away towards Walberswick.
    Can't argue with most of Devon & Cornwall either. (avoid Paignton)
  • My mate's got a holiday house in Braunton, north Devon...5 mins from Croyde, 2 mins from Saunton Sands...beautiful, beautiful part of the world and 4 or so hours by car from London (if you go quite fast...) I'll see if it's available...

How far in advance does he book mate? We are looking at this area for April next year.

• Currently in a Farmhouse in North Cornwall near Port Isaac. Can't beat Cornwall. Mid seventies today, had a pleasant few hours on Polzeath beach, lovely day. Gonna get more hectic tomorrow evening when Golfie and his brood rock up though.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2014
    @Clem_Snide‌ - he's selling up mate but I'll get the booking details and find out if he's still taking them that far in advance.
  • @Clem_Snide‌ - he's selling up mate but I'll get the booking details and find out if he's still taking them that far in advance.

cheers.
  • Hmmm - cheers all, mrs sunbury had a look thru' this thread - more work to do
  • Don't blame us when it's pissing down with rain and the kids are asking for another twenty quid to do something inside.
  • Cornwall explore it all, if you want quiet coves sandy beaches and gentler tides then south coast if you want wilder Atlantic with surf then head West coast. Avoid Newquay and St Ives but base your self in between and you won't go far wrong for a good choice of beaches Porth Towan Chapel Porth - National Trust - Perranporth plus dozens more all within 30 mins driving plus St Ives for a day out, or head south to Sennen Cove and the open air theatre at The Minack
  • http://www.regent-holidays.co.uk/country/ukraine-holidays/

Probably can get some wicked savings at the moment.
  • Isn't the idea of a holiday to get away from this country for a bit and see some of the world? Knowing this place you would spend your trip stuck inside as it chucked it down for two weeks ( which is what happened the only time I ever went to Cornwall).
  • edited July 2014

If the weather is good Scotland is full of midges stunning.

Fixed that for you!
  • It depends on what you like to do. If all you/your missus want is to sit on a beach relaxing, I'd say go somewhere on the east coast and keep your fingers crossed on the weather. East Anglia and North Yorkshire are both good for this. If you're happier walking and visiting different places, but still want seaside, I'd say go Devon, Cornwall or SW Wales. If you're not bothered by closeness to the sea, Peak or Lake District, Shropshire Hills are nice as well. The weather will be changeable, but the scenery is fantastic and you can work up a proper appetite :D

The one thing that does mess you about in Britain is the weather; it's not guaranteed so you have to roll with it. Unfortunately, all the things to do indoors cost a stupid amount of money. It's worth having a National Trust or English Heritage membership if you fancy that (Tesco vouchers are your friend on this) as it gives you options if the weather takes a turn.

Since my son was born 8 years ago we've gone to England or Wales every year (this is the first year we're going abroad). We've really enjoyed it, and though I've missed being abroad I've appreciated just how much variety there is in this country - and for a small country it is quite phenomenal the range of landscapes and buildings.

• IdleHans said:

North Devon. Not stupidly far, absolutely beautiful, great beaches, lots to do - walking, cycling, canoeing, fishing, sailing, surfing, stuffing your faces or just lying in the sun.

Got into North Devon over the last couple of years and it is beautiful. Best beaches in the world if you have kids! Saunton being my favourite. Plenty else to do if its not sunny.