Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Taking all sports into account, the greatest, current, British player is...

... Andy Murray. Right?

Comments

• Chizz said:

... Andy Murray. Right?

No

And this is not just my hatred for him u need to look at the facts

To be classed as the current greatest you need to be winning the biggest events in your sport.

In Tennis the biggest events are the Grand Slams, Murray's last win in 2013.

Are you telling me there are no other sports where a British person has one the biggest event since 2013
  • Rory McIlroy.
  • RedPanda said:

Rory McIlroy.

Definitely up there as in Hamilton
  • The cyclists aren't bad, the rowers win plenty, how about Mo the runner.....

Pretty much anybody but Andy McMurray
  • Bob Nudd
  • Chizz said:

... Andy Murray. Right?

No

And this is not just my hatred for him u need to look at the facts

To be classed as the current greatest you need to be winning the biggest events in your sport.

In Tennis the biggest events are the Grand Slams, Murray's last win in 2013.

Are you telling me there are no other sports where a British person has one the biggest event since 2013
    Do you genuinely hate him?
  • in terms of achievement and currently playing ...phil the power
  • Sir Lynton Crosby

Won the biggest game there is.
  • Given that no-ones found a way of determining who the current best footballer in the world is I'm shocked that anyone would be able to determine who the best sportsman over an almost unlimited number of fields is.

But it's probably Murray.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't believe nobody has mentioned Audley Harrison
  • Paulie, why do you actually hate Murray?
  • Simon Church

he is jealous of his hair, personality and his wife.

He's quite rich too
  • se9addick said:

Paulie, why do you actually hate Murray?

He's quite rich too
    but he's a hibs fan so all that money goes on smack.
  • Sir Lynton Crosby

Won the biggest game there is.

He loses out on the "sports" and "British" part of the question
  • Murray hasnt won many Major events in Tennis but to the tennis players these are over hyped events created by the media / corporate world which help boost the bank account if you win one.

The big events to the Players are the masters events... Which Murray has won a good few of (and winning then result in the end of year ATP Masters event)

The fact Murray hasnt won more Grand Slams is because there are better players out there but those players arent British, when you answer the above question you have to feel as though he is the best British sportsman out there.

i.e. Put Hamilton in a Williams and watch him win races... thats the Formula One version of what Murray does whenever he wins a competition
  • Sponsored links:

• John carver
  • Froome.
  • RedPanda said:

Rory McIlroy.

Not British though is he?
    Our proper name is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: he's from the Norn Iron bit and has played for the Republic of Ireland previously. Counts him out in my opinion.

Steve Redgrave gets my vote all time shame he's retired: gold medals at 5 Olympics over 20 years in a very tough sport is hard to beat imo.

So for me, it's Patrick Barrie who won the UK Tiddlywinks Singles Championship and beat his American nemesis, Larry "Horsemeat" Kahn, in a World Singles match. Barrie and Khan have both won the UK title 8 times but Khan has won the world championship 23 times so beating him takes a special talent!

This article goes some way towards explaining the dedication and training that are needed. cityam.com/article/how-does-it-feel-be-tiddlywinks-grandmaster
  • McIlroy
  • 1. Murray
    2. Farah
    3. Froome
    4. Wiggins
    5. Mcilroy
  • Tom Sykes
  • edited May 2015
    At present in no particular order I would say:

McIlroy (still British through birth even if has has turned his back on us re representing Rep Ire in Olympic)

Murray

Alastair Brownlee

Lewis Hamilton
  • Callum Harriott
  • The better of those Triatholon brothers has a claim on this.
  • 1. Murray
    2. Farah
    3. Froome
    4. Wiggins
    5. Mcilroy

Pretty good list if you add A Brownlee, might argue over Froome/Wiggins order if judged on several recent years and not 'today'. Some of it does depend on the quality of and size of the opposition which possibly counts out Hamilton