Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If we made the play off final could we fill it?

Watching the play offs yesterday had me wondering if we could. I don't imagine Norwich having a bigger fanbase than us but I was pretty impressed that it looked like they had filled it. Do you think if we made it we could do the same? 40k+ tickets to sell?

Comments

• I think we could, yes.
  • Haha, yeah. Comment if you think we couldn't. Otherwise I'll assume everyone thinks we could.
  • Norwich do have a bigger fanbase than us, they averaged almost 25,000 in League One
  • Watching the play offs yesterday had me wondering if we could. I don't imagine Norwich having a bigger fanbase than us but I was pretty impressed that it looked like they had filled it. Do you think if we made it we could do the same? 40k+ tickets to sell?

Yes
  • C_A_F_C said:

Norwich do have a bigger fanbase than us, they averaged almost 25,000 in League One

We could as well
  • We could but half would be man utd, liverpool, arsenal, chelsea etc all there with charlton friends for the day out.
  • To answer the question id say possibly yes for a Championship playoff final but thats mostly because we're a London club if the finals were still in Cardiff we'd have no chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• We could but half would be man utd, liverpool, arsenal, chelsea etc all there with charlton friends for the day out.

Good point, reckon that's the same for a lot of clubs that go to Wembley though
  • We would pack it out enf of.
  • We struggled to sell our allocation against Sunderland!
  • Yes (5k of Belgian fans on loan should do it)
  • edited May 2015
    I don't think a lot of people appreciate the pricing for this now. For this years final, the top couple rows up in the gods were £36, the rest were between £54-98.

Standard lower tier one behind goal (likely singing area) was £64. Any of the side blocks (where I sat in 98) was £98.

Like virtually everyone, I took a few non Addicks with me in 98. I doubt that would happen at 64, 98 quid.
  • I'd miss my own wedding to go....
  • Well I'm 42 stone so that's four seats gone straightaway!
  • Sponsored links:

• Well I'm 42 stone!

Mine!
  • I think we probably could, but about 20% wouldn't be Charlton fans who don't support another team. Bit like how it was in the Premier League really.

• Despite the extortionate prices, if the biggest single game in world football doesn't get your juices flowing, what on earth does it take ? I'm certain we would comfortably sell out.

Norwich got fan complaints because no tickets went on general sale - all were snapped up (with extras) by s/t holders and other preferential groups. Last Wednesday my son bought the very last two Boro tickets, according to the ticket office lady suspicious of his dulcet London tones. He sat/stood behind the girl, sorry goal, and I was up in the clouds near the halfway line.

It's a brilliant sporting occasion for any genuine sports fan to relish, although attending as a neutral feels very strange. In the event of Boro scoring and/or winning I was rather hoping for an ecstatic hug from the nice lady to my right, but sadly her team only managed the most timid foreplay. The day itself was exactly 17 years since The Match Of All Matches, and I left for Wembley at 11.25, the exact same time as in 1998. There the resemblance ended, apart from the north-eastern team being left empty-handed. A great day out.

• And as I recall Airman there was one hugely sentimental ticket we sold first:).
  • If Southend can take 20K to Wembley we should be able to sell our allocation easily....
  • Jesus!!

How long to the friendlies?
  • Essex_Al said:

We struggled to sell our allocation against Sunderland!

That's a myth. At the time the club had no useful database of its supporters, so clumsy restrictions were eventually used to prevent Sunderland fans buying tickets. There was a real shortage of tickets after the first day of sale because the club failed to reserve seats as it had promised for supporters groups. CASC could have sold unlimited numbers via its satellite branches and did sell tens of thousands of pounds worth.

The club also went back for extra tickets because of the demand.

With Rockspectacle I sold the last of the tickets - £60 in the Olympic Gallery, as I recall - on the Saturday morning (CASC took over at The Valley because the club was closed) and there were still people trying to get tickets then.
    I walked into Wembley with an unused spare ticket. Bought a ticket for a friend that didn't actually want it as he was invited to a corporate day. Hoped to sell it outside but only Sunderland fans were looking for tickets. I wouldn't sell to a Sunderland fan so somewhere back in England I have a rare ticket complete with stub!
  • Just borrow the spanner's bandwagon.
  • I always think we get a decent following considering we are not a 'fashionable' club and don't win many trophies!