Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton signings where you were initially underwhelmed but turned out to be decent

Someone mentioned Chris Iwelumo on another thread. Any others?

Comments

• Yann
    Hendo
    Wiggins
  • TBH, for me it was JJ! When we got him from Spurs reserved I thought, huh?... Boy how wrong I wa!
  • John Robinson
    Keith Jones
    Danny Mills
  • John Robinson
  • TBH, for me it was JJ! When we got him from Spurs reserved I thought, huh?... Boy how wrong I wa!

He was a Spurs product but we got him from Notts County.

JJ came from Glasgow Rangers.

Not that one, the current JJ!
  • John Robinson....£50k from Brighton, he's never gonna replace Robert Lee we thought, then turned into my all-time favourite player
  • Sponsored links:

we got him from notts county. Previously he had been at colchester. A long time since being at tottenham.
  • Watt and Ben Haim
  • wilson, thought he looked rubbish, couldn't control the ball, pass tackle etc. Ended up being one of my favourite players, proper charlton. Never gave up and worked his nuts off. Still a bit ticked we let him go as he seemed like a player that could grow with the club like john robinson.

JJ came from Glasgow Rangers.

Not that one, the current JJ!
    I'll get my coat...

• Paul Williams-signed from Woodford Town.
  • Luke Young
  • Sponsored links:

• Peter Shaw.
  • Andy Hunt.
  • Yann, i even said to the guy next to me up at Sheffield United, why are we taking Hayes off for that overweight french striker..................Yann strolls into the box and heads in the corner with his first touch, then sets up the second goal for BWP, great day. :)
  • Nicky Johns
    Mark Aizlewood
    John Robinson
    Stuart Balmer
    Simon Webster
  • Valley11 said:

Has to be John Robinson. I remember when Lee left and we spent peanuts on Robinson. I had a season ticket at Upton park back then and watching Robinson try hard but not do much was depressing, especially when Lee was crashing in goals for Newcastle as they marched to the title.
    Little did we know then that Robinson would become a cult hero and an integral part of the 98 team and the Premier League years.

Took a long time to come into his own though... if he was playing nowadays he'd have been hounded out of the club long before he ever managed to turn it around.
  • edited July 2015
    Claus Jensen - I remember reading that it was him or gudjonsson and I was gutted it weren't the latter. Turned out to be pure class.... Not that eider didn't though! Great times!
  • Derek Hales.
  • Shaun Bartlett / Jonatan Johansson.

Probably the most unattractive strike force that the Premier League has ever seen but they did the job for us