Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

if dowie had stayed ...

would we be worse off than where we are now...
in the words of nolly 'discuss'

Comments

• edited October 2007
    Agreed, we'd still be cannon fodder in the PL.
  • tough call. but dowie had 10 games before charlton decided that reed was the right man for the job.but then would we be any worse off with reed at th helm?
  • What's your next thread Oohahh? 'I told you Curbs was a genius' by Ooh Ahh Mortimer?

You really do seem to revel in a Charlton defeat.
  • Dowie was a disaster and wasted £11 million on rubbish with the possible exception of Reid.

Les Reed was (is) a coach not a manager and should be admired rather than reviled for stepping out of his comfort zone in his mid fifties in a no win situation.

Pardew is a proven manager at this level and is about as good as we can realistically aspire to in our financial circumstances.

At the risk of being shouted down we are now seeing just how good a manager Alan Curbishley was.
  • No Len, don't you start!

I think you'll find few Charlton fans who wouldn't agree that Curbs was a great manager. There's also a fair tranche of us that thought he went stale and lacked inspiration at the end of his tenure and a fair sized bunch that disagree and are more than entitled to do so.

To reel out 'told you Curbs was great' after every Charlton defeat is just pointless and negative.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

At the risk of being shouted down we are now seeing just how good a manager Alan Curbishley was.
    But Len what is YOUR definition of a good Manager? Someone who plays boring negative football to keep you just in-between mid-bottom of the Prem OR Someone who encourages attractive football and takes a few risks? Someone with a personality who has a relationship/rapport with the fans OR A dour monosyllabic zed who's heart was always elsewhere (about 2 miles North!)????

I know what mine is and it is not the boy Llewellyn.
  • We don't need to re-heat the Curbs debate yet again do we?

Curbs was a great manager, but over the last two years of his reign it was clear that he needed a new challenge, while the club needed a different manager. A mistake was made by bringing in Dowie and that was compounded by promoting Reed. Those debates are done with. I don't think we'd be better off with Dowie, even though he should have had more time last season and I don't think we'd be better off with Curbs either, be patient.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Agreed, we'd still be cannon fodder in the PL.

as opposed to cannon fodder to plymouth and QPR ;-(
  • I've just thought. I have watched Kevin Lisbie play on a number of occasions and indeed score for us.

I don't think I have witnessed him score three times in a season though. Until this one!! All against us!
  • edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I've just thought. I have watched Kevin Lisbie play on a number of occasions and indeed score for us.

I don't think I have witnessed him score three times in a season though. Until this one!! All against us!

I saw him score three times in one match for us once - on my birthday :-)

Super, Super Kev...
  • Sponsored links:

• fighting relegation
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Dowie was a disaster and wasted £11 million on rubbish with the possible exception of Reid.

how much has pardew spent and where has it got us???
  • How much has Pardew sold? how many players with International experience left the club?
  • i didn't realise dowie/ pardew inherited such a great squad ... i thought curbs had left us in the shit or maybe he didn't
  • Dowie inherited a squad that had just finished mid-table in the prem and was given £13m to improve it.
  • I don't think that's the point is it? If you look at what Dowie signed, we've lost £7m of players in Reid and Diawarra, too experienced internationals who have/would have added to this side.

As for the Curbs legacy, other then Bent and Young, what quality did he leave? He knew himself the rebuild that was needed, or do you think it was far from stale in the last 18 months?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i didn't realise dowie/ pardew inherited such a great squad ... i thought curbs had left us in the shit or maybe he didn't[/quote]

Yeah you look back and see we had a pretty decent squad
  • Can anyone state exactly how much money:

1a Dowie spent
    1b Dowie made on sales

2a Pards has spent
    2b Pards has made on sales

??????????????????????????????????
  • Curbs left us with a mid-table Premier league squad, not exciting, little if any racing of the blood, but a mid-table Premier league squad it was. What came thereafter can never be pinned against Curbishley. Never was he given the funding afforded to Dowie, maybe that was one of the reasons he went through the motions and it ended up stale. Who knows?

I haven't seen that many posts relating to how rivetting this season has been.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Can anyone state exactly how much money:

1a Dowie spent
    1b Dowie made on sales

2a Pards has spent
    2b Pards has made on sales

??????????????????????????????????

I should think that with the sale of Bent and Reid,Pards is well out on top.
  • Sponsored links:

• Curbs side was mid table with Smertin and Murphy (unless ive got my dates wrong) however they both left before the end of that season, making us a relegation squad methinks, in need of a serious rebuild..

Dowie failed to plug the gap with Faye, and Reid, although ZZ came along too late, we eventually have had to resort back to an ageing (bless him) Matt Holland..

Instead of signing a striker to back up the ailing D.Bent we bought an untried central defender for 2.5 million, very bizzarre move IMHO
  • edited April 2008
    i don't think there are many on this board who would do any worse.
  • We should get Mourinho! (I wish)
  • Theres something to be said about the approach the board made when bringing in the new manager.. putting an ad in the paper..... do you not think that trying to smoose a specific target and looking up not down, all dowie ever achieve was getting palace up , never keeping them there, billy davies, mick mcarthy.... all average individuals in my opinion..... we were a pull at that time.. Im sure if sold right we could have attracted a high end manager, we were 8 years in the prem...I know we didnt have a massive budget, 11mil.... but I feel when we could have gone forward taken a gamble, that we ended up taking anyway, and really tried to push the boat out in a bid to secure that 30 mil, which is now in the wind.... or to look at it another way in another teams pocket.....

We need to accept we are here for a while.... I think we have a slim chance of going up next year and unfortunately our window has shut for the time being ..... but that is charlton, if they could just sort the commnetary Id be happy anyway.... what I truly love is hearing the commentator shouting "charlton take the lead" and the rush that that gives me.... thats it thats alll and I can get that in any league.....
  • i reckon if dowie had stayed we'd be at least 16th in the table in this league;-)
  • Dowie thought Traore was worth 2 million quid.

Oh and also Amady Faye.

In my book that makes him a complete tosser.

Pardew bought Paddy Mccarthorse and said he was our next Captain. . . . .

Next!
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]would we be worse off than where we are now...
    in the words of nolly 'discuss'

No, I don't think we'd be worse off, and not sure even if we'd have gone down. - This isn't meant to be high praise for the bloke, just would love to know if we'd've found a bit of form.

Also, Peter Varney stated shortly before he resigned that that whole business would be cleared up by a statement. I know there was stuff still ongoing, but will the club ever attempt to let the fans know what their version of events were - rather than us relying on the rumours (albeit with the amusing images that go with them)!!

I think we do deserve it!
  • QPR fan at work was complaining today about Dowie's tactical ineptitude, particularly his insistence on playing 4-5-1 when the players aren't suited to it. So I suspect the situation wouldn't be vastly different.
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]QPR fan at work was complaining today about Dowie's tactical ineptitude, particularly his insistence on playing 4-5-1 when the players aren't suited to it. So I suspect the situation wouldn't be vastly different.

Agreed. Dowie is a crap manager. I reckon we'd be in League One already.
  • Curbs left us with a poor squad, the worst we had for a few seasons (after Murphy, Smertin etc had left).

Dowie failed to improve it.