Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Eubank is a proper prick

:neutral:

• edited March 2016
    I'll be the first to admit I'm no aficionado of boxing. But I watched that whole fight.
    There were two men in the ring, both supposedly boxers. Blackwell spent the whole fight peeking out from his gloves yet still taking loads of hard punches, particularly the uppercuts. Eubank kept moving didn't protect his head, but picked off Blackwell as and when he wanted.
    Blackwell is tough, undoubtedly. But he's a street fighter not a boxer.
    Eubank showed class. I would have stopped the fight round seven, to prevent unnecessary injury to Blackwell, he was easily beaten.
  • I think Eubank beats Saunders now.
  • Blackwell has a bleed on the skull (not the brain as lots of rumours said). Been put into a coma, considered stable by the hospital.
  • Fury did fight , channel 5 however didn't show it.
  • buckshee said:

Fury did fight , channel 5 however didn't show it.

Why not? Weird.
  • edited March 2016

Feel for the ref as although he took a lot of hits and facially was smashed, he never really looked in trouble and was throwing back throughout.

Just glad his eye got bad as he would have stood and taken another few rounds of that

Disagree. There were 2/3 onslaughts at the start of rounds, think the first one was in round 7 and other than insinctive "slaps" he was throwing nothing back. It should have been stopped in round 7 as it was only going one way.

His coach saying to him "are you enjoying being hit with those uppercuts" was a pretty clear indication of what was going on.

I think the TV picked up the exchange in the corner before round 10 and it was again clear that he was "gone". He wasn't responding to them talking to him and was away with the fairies.

His trainer has a duty of care and should have been looking at pulling him out.
  • Shit... Put him in a medically induced coma with a bleed on the brain. Hope he's okay!
  • Fingers crossed for him, very tough man Nick Blackwell
  • That was an absolute war. No idea how Blackwell stayed in the fight so long. Warrior.
  • Sponsored links:

• For anyone that didn't stay up to watch the Andre Ward card, that Joseph Diaz jr looks a massive talent in America. In the same division as Lee Selby.
  • I tend to not bother staying up to watch Wards's fights , the way he fights just does not excite. Great at what he does just a bit like watching paint dry.
  • edited March 2016
    McBobbin said:
    I'm sorry but at the time I thought the reason for him saying this was that no matter how much he went to the head he wouldn't KO him there and the ref wasn't going to stop it so go to the body where he may have got him out of there. I still feel the same now.
  • buckshee said:

McBobbin said:
    I'm sorry but at the time I thought the reason for him saying this was that no matter how much he went to the head he wouldn't KO him there and the ref wasn't going to stop it so go to the body where he may have got him out of there.
    That's how I took it too. Eubank being portrayed as potentially saving Blackwells life while possibly correct because he told junior to go to the body. He wasn't telling him to go to the body just because he feared for Nicks safety. It was another way of trying to force a stoppage.
  • edited March 2016
    I think you would only have a point if Eubank constantly wasn't questioning why the ref hadn't stopped the fight and point one he made was that he was going to get hurt. Ref should have stopped it earlier and should be sacked.
  • You can still sense the concern in Eubank's voice for Blackwell though.

If he could see it in his corner that Blackwell was getting hurt why couldn't Gary Lockett??!!
  • McBobbin said:
    Indeed a fight he will never forget. He showed concern for his opponent in subsequent fights.
  • That was like watching a fight from 30 plus years ago.
    Blackwell is such a brave and game fighter.
    why in 2016 with all the info about the brain and likely dangers
    did that fight go beyond 7 round ?
    Nick took so many punches to the head.

I hope the changes that were made after Michael Watson's Injury,
    will give Nick Blackwell a chance to recover and live a healthy life,

Keep Battling outside the ring Nick.
  • Sponsored links:

• buckshee said:

McBobbin said:
    I'm sorry but at the time I thought the reason for him saying this was that no matter how much he went to the head he wouldn't KO him there and the ref wasn't going to stop it so go to the body where he may have got him out of there.
    That's how I took it too. Eubank being portrayed as potentially saving Blackwells life while possibly correct because he told junior to go to the body. He wasn't telling him to go to the body just because he feared for Nicks safety. It was another way of trying to force a stoppage.
    Have to agree, Eubank Snr thought going to the body was his best way of stopping the iron jawed Blackwell. Gary Lockett has said that Nick was his normal self in the corner, was never staggered or clearly hurt during the fight and was always punching back after Eubanks Jnrs sustained attacks. It's just a blessing the swollen eye stopped the fight and protected Blackwell from another 6 minutes of war.

• The problem being of course that whilst we can say the ref should have stopped it sooner and so could/should Blackwell's corner, Blackwell himself either genuinely believed he could take it or (more probably) was thoroughly punch drunk already and unable to realise just what a beating he was taking/had taken and couldn't or wouldn't back down short of taking a dive (which no non-crooked boxer would want to do of course.)

Blackwell may have a chin of steel but simply staying on his feet might have been the worst thing he could have done, sadly.
  • Theh problem was that Blackwell was the champion and this was a title fight. Traditionally, this makes it harder to stop, but boxing has to move with the times.
  • Ban it!! Along with horse racing (and F1 and NFL coz they are so wearily dull).
  • Ricky Burns becomes a 3 weight world champion.
    The UK now has 12 world champions, Bellew has a chance tomorrow to make it 13 before the weekend is out.
  • How bad was Di Rocco?

Easy money for Ricky and puts him in line for some big fights.
  • Di Rocco was poor but if anyone deserved an easy fight for a vacant title its Burns.
    Possible rematch with Crawford for a unification. Although Crawford is up there with the p4p kings for me.
  • I don't think Crawford is ever going to happen. He is now as you say P4P list and i believe his fight against Postol is PPV in America.

Maybe Provodnikov, Mathysse, Peterson are more likely fights and would earn him a few quid.
  • Been away & hadn't followed the build up to the Burns fight last night. I thought vacant titles were usually contested by the top ranked contenders. No way Di Rocco should have been anywhere near, but Ricky did a good job and was way too good for him.

Onto Tony Bellew at Goodison tonight now.