Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Palace.We mean nothing to them!

edited May 2008 in General Charlton
link

The Hudson deal through the eyes of a Nigel.

Watch this one pan out.It's a corker!

Comments

• Sad bunch of knobends. How ridiculous are some of the comments on there. Pathetic really.
  • edited May 2008
    took an age to go through that post. dont they go on? very bitter
    i am worried we can turn him into a charlton player and everone knows what happens then!
  • couldnt be bothered to read the sad nigels posts they really do live in fantasy land
  • I didn't bother reading it, but I'd imagine its pretty much the same as whats been written on the Palace BBS.

It may seem bitter and twisted, but I'd imagine its pretty much the same as when Palace were taking your players. If I remember correctly, I don't think Darren Pitcher would win too many popularity votes on here.
  • darren who
    john humpries was a far bigger loss at the time
  • ...and a far better player, unusually popular with both sets of fans.
  • solid pro whoever he played for he always gave 100%
  • The reason why we mean nothing to them is because that's the number of points that we give them.
  • I don't think Darren Pitcher would win too many popularity votes on here.

He didn't win many when he was a Charlton player. Colin Walsh described him as a player of "limited ability", his ego and desire to be playing elsewhere didn't help either.

No-one would have begrduged Johnny H going to Palace or anywhere for that matter, he was a great and loyal club player who really should have signed for a better club than either Palace or Charlton, and had he done so would have had a few England caps to his nmae. However he didn't and played every game like it was an honour before going to Palace when it was clear that Charlton weren't going to get promoted any time soon. If only there were more players like him and fewer mercenaries...
  • Yes, at last some of them are starting to admit the truth:

"He could go to any club but he knows just how much it would piss palace fans off if he went to Charlton".
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]Yes, at last some of them are starting to admit the truth:

"He could go to any club but he knows just how much it would piss palace fans off if he went to Charlton".[/quote]

I don't think thats anything to do with the reason, theres only one simple reason, and its that you were willing to pay him what he wanted. Pardew thought he was worth it, Warnock didn't, or couldn't because of budget.
  • Sad losers the lot of them most have there heads up there own arses
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]Yes, at last some of them are starting to admit the truth:

"He could go to any club but he knows just how much it would piss palace fans off if he went to Charlton".[/quote]

I don't think thats anything to do with the reason, theres only one simple reason, and its that you were willing to pay him what he wanted. Pardew thought he was worth it, Warnock didn't, or couldn't because of budget.[/quote]

I'm not suggesting at all that that is why he's signed for us. I'm sure that just like most players he will decide who to play for for his own career reasons. Given that the trophy cabinets at Selhurst and The Valley are similarly bare it is, as you say, likely to be a simple matter of who will pay the most cash that gets his signature.

What I am saying is that the quote I gave was representative of a lot on that Palace thread in indicating that Palace fans do have a genuine antipathy towards the Addicks. This us usually denied; it's good to see some honesty coming out.
  • no mate palaces trophy cabinet is completly bare.
  • Cue the old joke: Last night theives broke into Crystal Palace's trophy room; police are looking for someone with a blue and red striped carpet.
  • lol,old but still tickles me,my wife has a g string bra...........no support or cups
  • They're still crying over there about all this. One of them has even called us a lower-profile club than Palarse. Now that's a good un!
  • You are certainly bigger in attendances, and of course you are still receiving parachute payments, so are able to pay more in wages, and as nolly would point out you're ancient history is good. ;)

But realistically, I would say profile wise we are about the same, and if you don't achieve promotion next season, then the gap will certainly close, as your wage bill have have to be trimmed.
  • There's some cracking quotes on there. Here's a few for those who can't be bothered wading through all the dross though:

"I wish him failure. Surely you would see that the future is bright here at palace and maybe not so bright at the Clowns. Therefore he has gone for greed and not for potential of playing in a good tight nitted team next term. I hope he and the clowns fail dismally!"

"Don't think we'll miss him at all, his distribution was awful this season. And joining Clowntown tells you all you need to know about his judgement."

"And going to Charlton for bigger and better things, who you kidding Mark, money talks.."

"CHARLTON,Pardew must be loving it,Hes done us before the new season starts,Where is the sense in that!!!"

"Charlton makes sense. He's going to a slightly lower profile club admittedly..."

"Dear Mr Hudson I would like to wish you all the best.
    All the best broken bones,all the best injuries,All the mediocrity the stade de clowns has to offer.Go now be on your way.I shall,nt miss you.This is not bitterness just hatred for you joining scum.Enjoy your season on the bench.No f***ing wonder fulham let you go tosser."

And finally Cyril: -

"And for once and for all, we don't give a s*** about Charlton. They are not are rivals, just a bunch of irrtants.", Yeah right, who's he kidding?
  • But realistically, I would say profile wise we are about the same, and if you don't achieve promotion next season, then the gap will certainly close, as your wage bill have have to be trimmed.

Charlton have £11m in parachute payments to come in next season. In terms of profile though I'd say that Charlton are higher having enjoyed a reasonably long run in the Premiership and having better home support, though that in part is a consequence of the season ticket deal on offer last year (buy a 2007/8 ST and get a free one if we get promoted). But the Valley as a stadium is in immeasurably better shape than Selhurst with the latter needing money being spent on it, perhaps urgently if the stories of subsidence at the Holmesdale End are true. Charlton also raised a lot of money from the directors to shore up the balance sheet in mid-season so I presume for the time being that the accounts are sound and that we don't owe money on short-term loans, that of course can change...

Next year could be make or break for both clubs, Charlton have a large squad and are staking a lot on promotion, but another season in the CCC won't necessarily be a disaster, we have a series of talented kids coming through who could and should form the basis of the playing squad for the next few years and have a good youth set up, plus as I say above finances seem to be sound. For Palace the deal is similar, but the downside is probably much starker if they don't get promoted. Not only does Selhurst need money being spent on it but if they can't keep hold of players like Hudson, how will they keep hold of Soares and Watson? If rumours are true then John Bostock is already on his way. This suggests to me that Palace are deeper in financial trouble than they let on - Hudson at this stage of his career is a good Championship player, but how much extra have Charlton offered than Palace to secure his transfer? I doubt it's that much as neither club are big payers. So why were Palace prepared to let him walk away for nothing, presumably knowing that they may have to buy in a replacement - bear in mind the cost of replacing a sound and tested defender with an unknown quantity might in the short and long term be worse than forking out the difference in the deal that Charlton were offering. That suggests to me that either Hudson's ability has been over-hyped, or that Palace have a ready made and cheaper replacement lined up/ready to promote, or that stiff financial constraints are limiting what they can and can't offer.

Given the trouble that Jordan had in raising money to secure the lease on Selhurst Park I suspect the latter...
  • Sponsored links:

• In regards to profile, I meant how they are seen outside of South East London, I realise that you have the Premiership stature, but Palace's Premiership history isn't that far away, and for various reasons, usually high profile chairmen or managers they've always been in the news.

Ground wise, the Valley leaves Selhurst standing, and as you say Selhurst needs serious work been done, now that SJ has seemed to tie up a new lease, he will need to get investment in to improve the ground. The Hudson deal, I feel is quite simple, as I said earlier we are on a Championship budget, you're still not so are able to offer better terms. With relation to Soares and Watson, I feel that if Palace feel the player is worth giving more than the structure allows, they will do so, as they showed with Speroni.

Financially, I really don't have a clue what the truth is, but SJ has let it be known if someone came in with a good deal, he would sell, however personally I don't think he needs to sell desperately.
  • [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]In regards to profile, I meant how they are seen outside of South East London, I realise that you have the Premiership stature, but Palace's Premiership history isn't that far away, and for various reasons, usually high profile chairmen or managers they've always been in the news.

I don't see how, just because you have chairmen/managers that like to shout there mouths off in the papers gives you a higher profile.

We will (as we were last year) have better odds to go up than you, as people see us as a team going back to the premiership. Where as people (outside of South East London) see you as more of an outsider as you're seen as a championship side trying to get to the premiership.
  • I suspect that Hudson swithched to Charlton because he thought that Warnock, Jordan and the Palace fans are a bunch of tossers and no amount of cash could put that right. I think he has a point.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I suspect that Hudson swithched to Charlton because he thought that Warnock, Jordan and the Palace fans are a bunch of tossers and no amount of cash could put that right. I think he has a point.[/quote]

tbf, I think you talk out of your arse.
  • [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]tbf, I think you talk out of your arse.

98 posts on a rival's board.

I'm sure your opinion will be valued from either side!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: stoneroses19[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]We will (as we were last year) have better odds to go up than you, as people see us as a team going [u]back [/u]to the premiership. Where as people (outside of South East London) see you as more of an outsider as you're seen as a championship side trying [u]to get to [/u]the premiership.[/quote]

Undoubtably, you will be seen as more likely to go up than Palace, whether Pardew and Charlton will be able to take the pressure, which you didn't this year, remains to be seen.

You will again be busy in the transfer market, whereas we will again be relying on the youth, and hopefully some bargain basement buys, as this is what we can afford, but as Bristol City and Hull have shown this year, you don't have to be big spenders to be successful. What Charlton will have to do though, is not to waste money, as they seem to have done in the last two years.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]tbf, I think you talk out of your arse.[/quote]

98 posts on a rival's board.

I'm sure your opinion will be valued from either side![/quote]

Not quite sure what your point is, but I do enjoy intelligent debate, which is what I have seen from the vast majority of posters on here, but just as you will find on most forums including Palace ones, you will unfortunately find arseholes as well.
  • You being the biggest !
  • SHG is an arsehole for having a dig at Palace (on a Charlton board)

blimey!

i think you'll find about 800 arseholes on here then by your standards.
  • I think thats the point that Budgie just doesn`t get ISawLeaburnScore. Says he enjoys inteligent debate but can`t see that along with that he is bound to cop a load of flack by posting on here.