Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southampton (h)

I wasn't there to see the Sex Pistols at the 100 Club, but I was one of the 817 at the Full Members cup tie at Selhurst. Thinking I should go tomorrow to be part of a new record low attendance?

Comments

• Think it will be at least double that tomorrow
  • I was thinking the same thing...but if too many people are on the same wavelength it won't be :)
  • Missing this one.
  • Thinking about setting my alarm for 6am to beat the queue.
  • Prediction is 666

The devils in the detail.
  • Think this fixture should have as minimal coverage as possible almost as though they are playing behind closed doors at Sparrows Lane such is the absolute farce of this competition.

Pick an U23 side ourselves, rest everyone who started on Saturday, name ourselves Charlton U23's for this match and stick two fingers up at any jobsworth who wishes to punish the club for this on the basis Championship teams are allowed to field U23 sides which we were ourselves just a few months ago. Refuse to pay any fine and hopefully it'll lead to us being kicked out of this whole farce.

I don't see how they can enforce the rules, when Jackson is injured, and Magennis and Lookman missing on international duty, as that's already several changes. It would be crazy if we had to play Rudd instead of Dillon, just to keep enough of the previous team

Much of our team is Under 23 anyway. Even Bauer is only 23
  • It won't be the lowest attendance. I have heard that Southampton fans are buying tickets because their club has said that attendance at the Valley boosts their loyalty points and would increase their chances of getting tickets for bigger games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Philips
    Konsa Bauer Lennon Edwards

Muldoon Lapsie, Charles-Cook

KAG Umerah Hanlon

That's five from the Saturday squad of does it have to be five starters.
  • Richard J said:

It won't be the lowest attendance. I have heard that Southampton fans are buying tickets because their club has said that attendance at the Valley boosts their loyalty points and would increase their chances of getting tickets for bigger games.

Are there any bigger games than this one though?
  • Think this fixture should have as minimal coverage as possible almost as though they are playing behind closed doors at Sparrows Lane such is the absolute farce of this competition.

Pick an U23 side ourselves, rest everyone who started on Saturday, name ourselves Charlton U23's for this match and stick two fingers up at any jobsworth who wishes to punish the club for this on the basis Championship teams are allowed to field U23 sides which we were ourselves just a few months ago. Refuse to pay any fine and hopefully it'll lead to us being kicked out of this whole farce.

I don't see how they can enforce the rules, when Jackson is injured, and Magennis and Lookman missing on international duty, as that's already several changes. It would be crazy if we had to play Rudd instead of Dillon, just to keep enough of the previous team

Much of our team is Under 23 anyway. Even Bauer is only 23
    And that's my point. The game would be ideal to give Phillips a go. What if Rudd plays and gets a hamstring as seemed at the time at Walsall?

I agree it would be ideal for Bauer to play and would also chuck in Relegator to protect Konsa but there's no way we should be risking Fox now THD has gone and Solly with his history.

JJ already injured as you say, Holmes should not be risked either same reason as Rudd while we don't have much else in the middle for cover, pick Ba and Munns? Lookman should be protected too.

Then up front Magennis is away, Ajose shouldn't be risked. Play KAH with Hanlon?

So common sense ought to see an U23 team picked regardless. We need to protect our players not subject them to unnecessary risk whatever the consequences.
  • I reckon (disappointingly) we will have one of the higher attendance tomorrow with over 1.7k.

A competition that offered smaller clubs a trip to Wembley and a trophy hijacked as a trial to enter B teams in to FL.

I hope we play all the youngster and take the fine.
  • edited August 2016

Philips

KAG Umerah Hanlon

"Each EFL Club shall play its full available strength in and during all Matches. The League will from time to time issue a policy as to what constitutes 'full available strength'. Any Club failing to meet this requirement will be required to pay a fine of up to £5,000"

Realistically we should just pay the 5k and play the youth team.
  • edited August 2016
    I didn't attend the 817 & 821 games on the basis that I didn't regard them as first class matches, although I did jump on the glory bandwagon for the Norwich & Wembley games.

However, 2 of my mates did and have accused me of not being a proper fan ever since. (In a wind up way).

They're both going Tuesday, so I've got to go to save myself from another 30 years of ribbing.

We too are hoping for an attendance of less than 817, so that we can say that "we were there".
  • Philips

KAG Umerah Hanlon

"Each Invited Club must ensure that in each Match at least 6 of the starting eleven players named on the Team Sheet are players who were aged under 21 as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned commenced."

Also says this:

"Any Club failing to meet this requirement will be required to pay a fine of up to £5,000."

Think this is the U21 rule which applies to Southampton. I'm sure I read the rules for L1 and L2 teams is to pick a strong as possible team though I stand to be corrected, obviously for the benefit of those wanting to bring U21 teams into Division 5 who want to see how these games go as a trial for it.
  • Philips

KAG Umerah Hanlon

"Each Invited Club must ensure that in each Match at least 6 of the starting eleven players named on the Team Sheet are players who were aged under 21 as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned commenced."

Also says this:

"Any Club failing to meet this requirement will be required to pay a fine of up to £5,000."

Think this is the U21 rule which applies to Southampton. I'm sure I read the rules for L1 and L2 teams is to pick a strong as possible team though I stand to be corrected, obviously for the benefit of those wanting to bring U21 teams into Division 5 who want to see how these games go as a trial for it.
    yeah i've edited my original post now with the correct rule for us
  • edited August 2016
    Richard J said:

It won't be the lowest attendance. I have heard that Southampton fans are buying tickets because their club has said that attendance at the Valley boosts their loyalty points and would increase their chances of getting tickets for bigger games.

So on that basis there is a strong possibility that there will be more away fans than home fans in attendance tomorrow evening.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    shirty5 said:

Richard J said:

So that basis there is a strong possibility that there will be more away fans than home fans in attendance tomorrow evening.
    A friend of mine is a Saints fan and said the same.

Apparently they have West Ham away coming up and the points thing comes in to it - especially being a new ground for them to visit.
  • edited August 2016
    Hmm not sure whether i should break my boycott, or in Katriens words ' see the premiership stars of tomorrow' ...

Nah I think I'll pass thank you.
  • Apparently they've sold out their entire allocation, God knows how many they got... Surely not 3,000.
  • Apparently they've sold out their entire allocation, God knows how many they got... Surely not 3,000.

Based on how many we'll probably have there, their allocation might as well be 25k.
  • edited August 2016

Philips

KAG Umerah Hanlon

"Each EFL Club shall play its full available strength in and during all Matches. The League will from time to time issue a policy as to what constitutes 'full available strength'. Any Club failing to meet this requirement will be required to pay a fine of up to £5,000"

£5k is nothing.

Besides if we say Fox has a slight muscle strain, Ajose has a fever, Holmes a dead leg etc, it's not as if the EFL will be at the training ground to verify the absences
  • Seems like we'll make 5k from the number of Saints fans buying tickets to boost their points tally, so just pay the fine and show this cup the contempt it deserves.
  • I wonder how many Southampton fans will actually bother to turn up and how many are prepared to buy a ticket purely for the loyalty points?
  • When's the Crawley Town away game?
  • uie2 said:

When's the Crawley Town away game?

I thought Crawley was a home game