Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Email sent to FA (UPDATE: - Reply received from FA)

WARWAR
edited May 2017 in General Charlton
WAR sent the following email to the FA last Friday, 19 May, welcoming their adoption of the proposed reforms, but questioning what criteria will be used for appointing members of suitable calibre to the new board, particularly the 3 mandatory women.
If any Lifers wish to contact the FA, their address is info@thefa.com
WAR can be contacted via Twitter on @CAFCWAR

Re: Implementing the Reforms to the FA Board
As an all-female group of football fans, WAR would like to express our delight that the proposed changes to the FA Board to include a minimum of 3 women has been adopted, as we favour equality of opportunity for well-qualified people in all fields of endeavour, regardless of age, gender and other differences. WAR are confident that the inclusion of able women with relevant experience of management in business or sport can only enhance decision making and strategic planning at board level in the FA.

However, we cannot find anywhere any mentions of the proofs of competence, relevant qualifications, and proven track record of success we would expect to be prerequisites for the appointment of any FA Board member, male or female. WAR therefore has concerns that the appointments of the 3 women might become a box-ticking exercise, thereby fatally damaging their credibility as full board members equal to their male colleagues.

WAR realises it would be inappropriate for the FA to comment on individuals, but would appreciate some feedback with respect to the criteria which will be used to appoint the new FA Board in general, and the 3 female members in particular, especially since for the latter we recognise the FA will inevitably be fishing in a smaller pool, and may need to look outside of football to wider sporting or business communities for candidates of suitable calibre. Will board candidates be sought by invitation, by application, or both? We realise such details may not yet have been decided, but hope they will be published in due course, and WAR would appreciate notification when this happens.

WAR previously contacted you in January 2017 when it was rumoured in the press that Katrien Meire, already a member of the FA Council, was being considered for “higher office” in the FA. We expressed our dismay at this prospect, since a less competent, more under-qualified CEO with a proven track record of fiscal ineptitude and public relations errors would be difficult to find, and exemplifies our concerns with regards to membership of the new FA Board.

Ms Meire is a poor role model for women in senior positions. Under her inexperienced leadership, debt at Charlton Athletic FC has rocketed, and season ticket sales have plummeted to an unprecedented degree. Her mismanagement and constant churn of personnel have brought fan unrest and a toxic atmosphere to the club. The latest of 8 managers employed at Charlton during her 3½ season tenure sought to excuse the problems in February 2017 by explaining to The Times that Ms Meire was “learning on the job”. Since the same mistakes are constantly being repeated, WAR can only surmise she is a slow learner with limited self-appraisal skills. She appears incapable of accurately identifying her errors and rectifying them without making new ones.

Such an appointment would truly only be a box-ticking exercise, and would not benefit the national game. Nor would it enhance the public perception of women in executive roles. WAR therefore seek reassurance that selection criteria for the new FA Board will be such that only men and women of the highest proven ability will be considered.

Yours sincerely,
WAR

WAR is the acronym for Women Against the Regime, an all-female protest group, founded January 2017, who believe regime change is essential for the long-term survival of Charlton Athletic FC.

Comments

• Great letter. The FA are a shambles so it wouldn't surprise me if they hired her
  • cabbles said:

Great letter. The FA are a shambles so it wouldn't surprise me if they hired her

I think we all fear that.
  • I admire the stance WAR is taking but I genuinely believe that this sort of thing has little impact. I did a similar thing with the EFL, spouting on about their 'fit and proper persons' test and how it's implemented. Made me feel better but that's about all.

The FA and EFL are just full of suits who really don't give a Mexican's sombrero about what fans think or say. I'd imagine that they just view us as a bunch of whiners with a misguided and biased agenda.

• cabbles said:

Great letter. The FA are a shambles so it wouldn't surprise me if they hired her

Agree she is incredibly incompetent...but surely if they hire her it will be on a full-time basis so she will have to step down as Charlton CEO...
  • cabbles said:

In fact i bet the letter has brought her back into their minds again grrrrrrrrr

• I think things should stay on a non personal level, how many on here would be up in arms if someone wrote a letter to a prospective employer such as this. My view will prob be in the minority but this is a step to far for me.

good grief

• I think things should stay on a non personal level, how many on here would be up in arms if someone wrote a letter to a prospective employer such as this. My view will prob be in the minority but this is a step to far for me.

If I were as shit at my job as she is I doubt anyone would be 'up in arms' if I were grassed up for going for another job in the same genre.

Plus, from a female perspective, I want a women in the FA to represent me, a real football fan who is passionate about the game & wants to see it progress. Not some dozy Doris who hasn't the first idea about football.
    But you would be, you would be up in arms and quite rightly so.
  • A great letter, keep up the good work WAR
  • Sponsored links:

I agree with this. I also think that organisations like the FA will take a dim view of a third party that tries to make their decisions for them.

I think there is, also, a risk that some will look at these groups (and we have three now, CARD, B20 and WAR) and think that people just don't have enough to keep them busy, and will question the people that are in these groups, and not want to enter into a dialogue with them as they might just be militant fans that want, or expect, a rich man to buy their club success.

I have to say that I don't, personally, understand why we need a female only group that has exactly the same aim/goal as CARD and B20. I'm not saying that WAR shouldn't exist, just that with the Supporters' Trust we should have a group that can represent the fans and if that isn't enough having three separate groups reminds me of children in school playgrounds all having their own 'gang' - each with a clever name and a Logo.

Before I get slated for my view I'm not having a pop, I just don't understand and suspect that others won't either.

If I were as shit at my job as she is I doubt anyone would be 'up in arms' if I were grassed up for going for another job in the same genre.

Plus, from a female perspective, I want a women in the FA to represent me, a real football fan who is passionate about the game & wants to see it progress. Not some dozy Doris who hasn't the first idea about football.
    Errrrr no I wouldn't because I wouldn't be stupid enough to go for a job I wasn't remotely qualified for or any good at.

But thanks for thinking you know my own mind eh?!?!!
  • Wasn't it a case of rd accusing protesters of giving Pinocchio stick simply because she was a woman & WAR was formed mainly to dispel those lies ?

Yes.

I think there is, also, a risk that some will look at these groups (and we have three now, CARD, B20 and WAR) and think that people just don't have enough to keep them busy

I think you're right. Thanks god an awful regime turned up or we would all be pottering around deadheading daffodils.
    My sourdough is taking an awful downturn I can tell you!
  • Sponsored links:

Errrrr no I wouldn't because I wouldn't be stupid enough to go for a job I wasn't remotely qualified for or any good at.

Really your offered a job with money and perks beyond what your currently on and you would not go for it. Fair enough I stand corrected and apologise.

Also given that we do not know KM JDs for all we know she may be doing a wonderful job from the point of view of her employers, Charlton. If she applied for this position at the FA her reference would be Charlton her employers. I don't think its anyone's place to put forward a view which, potentially, effects a persons livelihood. My understanding was the various groups aim was to force the owner to sale, if this presumption is the case I fail to see how this letter corresponds with their aims ?

Anyway someone's performance at their job is not a black and white subject. Ask my boss an honest answer about what they think of me and she will tell you im a' C**t' ask her who generates the most income (the function of my role) and she would tell you it was me by a country mile. Whether someone is doing a good job depends on what there job actually is from our point of view KM may well be the anti Christ, that does not mean from the point of view of her employer she is failing at her job.

Like I said I was sure my opinion would be in the minority but that's never stopped me expressing it.
  • I can't see how WAR, CARD or even the B20 can be described as militant.

I actually think we have been too nice and need to get a bit more in their faces. They have got off lightly. ........ so far.

Knocking on the door of KM parents, that is militant is it not ?

I actually think we have been too nice and need to get a bit more in their faces. They have got off lightly. ........ so far.

Notice how you wrote knocking on, not down.

Hardly militant.
  • edited May 2017

I can't see how WAR, CARD or even the B20 can be described as militant.

Definition of militant in English:

militant
    ADJECTIVE

Favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause.

Well the reports we received on this encounter did not give the impression that they were either confrontational or violent in method. So no, I don't believe it was militant.

Really your offered a job with money and perks beyond what your currently on and you would not go for it. Fair enough I stand corrected and apologise.

Also given that we do not know KM JDs for all we know she may be doing a wonderful job from the point of view of her employers, Charlton. If she applied for this position at the FA her reference would be Charlton her employers. I don't think its anyone's place to put forward a view which, potentially, effects a persons livelihood. My understanding was the various groups aim was to force the owner to sale, if this presumption is the case I fail to see how this letter corresponds with their aims ?

Anyway someone's performance at their job is not a black and white subject. Ask my boss an honest answer about what they think of me and she will tell you im a' C**t' ask her who generates the most income (the function of my role) and she would tell you it was me by a country mile. Whether someone is doing a good job depends on what there job actually is from our point of view KM may well be the anti Christ, that does not mean from the point of view of her employer she is failing at her job.

Like I said I was sure my opinion would be in the minority but that's never stopped me expressing it.
    The only thing which would affect a persons livelihood as you call it is surely how well they have performed in roles relevant to those they are being considered for, giving facts about poor performance potentially helps the person in question from being over-promoted and losing their livelihood pdq.

Definition of militant in English:

militant
    ADJECTIVE

Favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause.

Well the reports we received on this encounter did not give the impression that they were either confrontational or violent in method. So no, I don't believe it was militant.
    If knocking on the door of someone parents is not confrontational im not sure what is. Ive upset many people at work and if one of those people knockes on my parents door i would find it very confrontational. If you in the same position would not find it confrontational fair play to you.